Chemicals in Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma-Louise

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have been reading some articals about chemicals in nail products only to scare me to death lol... My question is what brands don't contain these products and would it be safe to practice as a nail tec if I was preganant? These are the products I mean:

Solvents - glycol ethers, acetonitrile, toluene
Formaldehyde - (Not found in Creative)
Phthalates
MMA - (Not found in Creative)
Methacrylic Acid

I know Formaldehyde and MMA are not found in Creative products. I have heard that EMA which has replaced MMA has similar effects as MMA. Probably all scare tactics by the producer of these articals but can anyone clear this up for me as I want to take the right precautions when applying nail enhancements....

Thanks
Emma

Emma,

Would these articles include the recent crap printed by the Daily Mail??

There are plenty of techs out there that have children and they didn't give up work or stop using particlular products during pregnancy. I'm not trying to belittle your concerns & I can appreciate you don't want to anything that you fear would harm your baby but also bear in mind that scare tactics sell papers! How many journalists do you really think have the faintest idea what they are actually writing about?

Chemicals are only dangerous when you are exposed to excess levels over a period of time so as long you take care in their use and don't put yourself at risk of over exposure (pregnant or not) then you have nothing to worry about.

There are chemicals in everything. Water is a chemical, are you going to stop having a bath during pregnancy in case you drown? :D No, didn't think so! :) (I don't intend that to sound patronising so please don't read that way, I hope you can see the point I'm making)

If you do a search on pregant/pregnancy I'm sure you'll find the threads where the Daily Mail article was discussed, along with threads from people who have had similar fears put to rest.

Hope this and subsequent search of old threads puts your mind at rest.

All the best x

Liquid/powder products have been used for 25 years in the nail business and have a brilliant safety record. Check out the thread Advertising Ethics and read carefully.

You can also search 'pregnant' on this site and read the discussions that have been posted there.

If you take normal precautions, and follow manufacturers guidelines, you have notthing to worry about at all.

Hey Emma,

Sounds like someone with non L&P interests have been up to the usual scare marketing. Most items listed are either linked to L&P and/or professional enamels both of which are perfectly safe as anything when used by a professional.

Who is trying to scare you?

Try not to eat or drink nail chemicals and you'll be fine....what I'm trying to say is make sure to follow all your sanitation rules and guidelines, whether you're pregnant or not, and you'll be fine. I worked right up until delivery day with both of mine, and they are both normal little monsters....oh, I mean normal little boys:wink2:

Thanks everybody for your info. just one other thing if you are a mobile technician how do you protect yourself from nail filing dust from enhancements as you don't have an air extractor....?:confused:

Emma-Louise said:
Thanks everybody for your info. just one other thing if you are a mobile technician how do you protect yourself from nail filing dust from enhancements as you don't have an air extractor....?:confused:
You can wear a dust mask!! or - better still, do your enhancements perfect and thin to begin with - next to no buffing down = no dust (sculpt with your brush - not your file):smack: wow - how many times have I heard, read, written and used that expression???!!! HTH's

Hi babe, the easiest way is water............. lol a little bit of very fine waterspray , spray it in the air and it brings down the dust and keeps the air dust free.... just dont aim it at the clients lol.........................
wipe area after each hand with a damp desk towel.................
Dust mask and don't lean with your elbow and arm in the filings xxxxx
HTH

i once went to a tanning shop who had a nail tech there when i was 15 and pregnant and she turned me away because i was pregnant- said i couldnt have nails because of it.
wish i knew then what i do now!
x

Latest posts

Back