Children in the salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who is Childfree I will not allow kids in my Salon.

Ok, to be honest I can't stand children!! I really can't - I don't want to interact with them, I don't want to pretend they look cute, I don't want anything to do with them. Friends have house parties / bbq's and they know to text me to say when it is safe for me to join them - ie when all the kids have left.

Unless the salon is specifically designed to cater to children then they are for me strictly adult only spaces. They are for adults to get treatments, to be relax, to enjoy, and to forget about the outside world for that short time so they can leave feeling good about themselves.

The argument 'but they won't be a problem, they are well behaved' doesn't wash with me. It is one rule for all - no kids. Allow one, you have to allow them all.

Tradeshows are the same - why is anyone under the age of 16 allowed in?

Right I better stop now or I will be ranting on for another two hours and still typing!

Mat

Don't mince your words Mat ha ha!! I think a lot of onus is put on kids BUT you get some adults that are far worse than kids. I've banned some clients from bringing other people in the room, you ask them a question and instead of answering they say to their friend "what do you think?" I've lost track of how many times I say "it's your face, you'll be looking at it so it's your decision".

If it's not that it's mobiles going off and they're both clambering in their bag to get it, then it's the shrill pitches when they relay stories of what they've got up to. Then the other person asks for a consultation and doesn't understand when you say you'll have to book them in because your next client is due. Can you not just?........... sorry I can't.

Finally, is the lax attitude of them when they think they can turn up at whatever time suits them even when you gave them an appointment because they think you work from home, you mustn't be busy so yes I'll turn up 45 minutes late and it'll be ok, actually no it won't you had a half hour appointment and I'm now with my next client!!

Oh I see your 45mins late an raise you an hour and a half!!

I've even had clients turn up late and when told I can't see them because not enough time they said 'well can't you tell the next person your running half an hour late?' The cheek of some people.

Your right clients can be worse ... But those we can deal with directly. Kids people get extra upset if you comment negatively about them.

Mat

Oh I see your 45mins late an raise you an hour and a half!!

I've even had clients turn up late and when told I can't see them because not enough time they said 'well can't you tell the next person your running half an hour late?' The cheek of some people.

Your right clients can be worse ... But those we can deal with directly. Kids people get extra upset if you comment negatively about them.

Mat

I can still top you there, try 24 hours lol. Even though I phoned them and left a message asking if they needed to re-arrange can they call me back, they still turned up the next day! They are cheeky though expecting to be seen, it does have a knock on effect. 5 minutes maybe but not 90 minutes!!

I just don't understand why people let their kids run riot, they're the adult they should discipline them. If they didn't like how you tried to control their kids then they should control them themselves or not take them out to appointments. You never know clients might read this and actually understand our point of view.

I hate kids!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all banned from the salon as are old people:p breastfeeding ladies whilst having a haircut need to be sectioned!!!!!!! I also let doggies in :Love: My gaff my rules!

I hate kids!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all banned from the salon as are old people:p breastfeeding ladies whilst having a haircut need to be sectioned!!!!!!! I also let doggies in :Love: My gaff my rules!

Childfree hairdressers of the world unite!!:hug:

Ooh first time I've used the multi quote!!! True that you create your own rules but this is one salon I'd avoid. I hate dogs, they never smell too good, their fur comes out and they either jump up at you or start sniffing your leg, shoes basically anything within nose reach. You can end up with snot like trails and fur all over your trousers. Eurggh. I'm not a huge fan of cats either come to think of it. Little kittens and puppies I'd happily stroke but then immediately I have to wash my hands as I don't feel clean :eek:

I'm not a fan of some dog owners either, the ones who let them poo all over the street and refuse to pick it up!!! :grr::grr:

Why anti elderly? They sometimes repeat themselves (my Dad is doing that constantly... yes Dad you've told me, twice yesterday and this is your third time today!) talk about yesteryear, moan at the kids of today, won't say thank you when people are polite. In fact that's most people these days, my 10 year old holds doors open for me and then keeps it open if other people walk through. They very rarely say thank you!!! Grinds me to bits that does so I'm there shouting "you're welcome" at them. It's a shame because I'm now telling him not to hold doors open if they won't say thank you or at least pick them up on it.

Wow, that was a bit of a moan there!!

I'm wondering whether these geeks who are anti kids have their own kids and if so is it just other people's kids they don't like? Is it an instant dislike or do you get to know the kids before deciding whether you like them or not?

Childfree hairdressers of the world unite!!:hug:

Childfree salons or literally childfree hairdressers?

I'm not anti kids at all but I personally don't think in the salon/spa it is the right environment for them to be running around or playing in. I don't permit it in my spa, my choice.

Years ago when there was not many places to get gel nails done around me I used to get my nails done at this "place" where all of a sudden the owners kids all ran riot screaming and hollering and distracting their various parents, aunties and uncles whilst they were working on clients and demanding sweeties, tv, dvds all then played in what just happened to be very loud Vietnamese hardly a relaxing experience for any of the clients and when other kids came in and they all started running round like they were in the playground, it was time to find somewhere more relaxing as obviously owners didn't mind and it suited their school holiday childcare plans. I voted with my feet as others did. I would do the same whether it was owners or other clients kids btw.

You can probably bet your bottom dollar if you don't mind there will probably be someone in the place that does.

Last edited:
I read with great interest the comments regarding children in the salon. Dogs well, no as they are dogs and unless are 'aide' dogs do not belong. Children are not welcome any more. I tried, but too many times there were issues. Clients would bring them in, give them treats, which ended up all over the floor/chair/smeared on the counters and mirrors. And don't get me started on the bathroom issue with boys! I actually had a mom complain that I didn't have a proper changing area for diaper changes! WTF! Tearing up magazines, touching everything. Making messes, parents not caring. Nope not ever gonna happen again. No matter what. I love kids, had four, and have 6 grand-kiddies, but not until they are over the age of 12 are they allowed around my salon unless they are having a treatment. And don't get me started on the breastfeeding. You really expect me to wax or tint or perform extraction etc with a babe in your arms? I never brought my young children to any appointment or shopping. It was scheduled "me" time. And yes I was a single mom too for 10 years. Without family around to assist. You have to find a sitter. I have turned clients away who show up with their kids. Yes, I took the loss of income, but the point certainly was made and it never happened again. Enough said.

dogs dont stay for the duration of clients services, they sometimes bring them down to me to say hello! I wouldnt allow dogs to be running around all over the shop as i dont children! x
I read with great interest the comments regarding children in the salon. Dogs well, no as they are dogs and unless are 'aide' dogs do not belong. Children are not welcome any more. I tried, but too many times there were issues. Clients would bring them in, give them treats, which ended up all over the floor/chair/smeared on the counters and mirrors. And don't get me started on the bathroom issue with boys! I actually had a mom complain that I didn't have a proper changing area for diaper changes! WTF! Tearing up magazines, touching everything. Making messes, parents not caring. Nope not ever gonna happen again. No matter what. I love kids, had four, and have 6 grand-kiddies, but not until they are over the age of 12 are they allowed around my salon unless they are having a treatment. And don't get me started on the breastfeeding. You really expect me to wax or tint or perform extraction etc with a babe in your arms? I never brought my young children to any appointment or shopping. It was scheduled "me" time. And yes I was a single mom too for 10 years. Without family around to assist. You have to find a sitter. I have turned clients away who show up with their kids. Yes, I took the loss of income, but the point certainly was made and it never happened again. Enough said.

One salon I was in the owner had her own dog in the salon all the time .

One day it had a grotty botty and was sitting on a client :Scared:

Same day a little girl who came in with her mum to have a treatment was spinning around on a cutting stool and bashed her head :!:

not a good day to be a salon owner and perhaps a lesson learned

Just my tuppence worth for what its worth lol! I personally think it's a good thing for no children to be in a salon on both sides really. One it allows Mummy to have the perfect me time and two salon owners dont have to worry about health and safety, mess, insurance claims etc etc. When I was a single Mummy I either arranged either for little man to be looked after and went to a salon or had a mobile service. Now for example my h2b works shifts so often isnt around to look after little man and I dont have any family near by to baby sit so for me at the mo I use mobile and if I'm lucky once in a blue moon get to escape the confines of my prison uhum i mean home :wink2:

I'm not usually for a blanket decision and prefer a case by case approach however this is impossible when running a salon.... how would you know after all? Unfortunately there are also parents out there who ruin it for others when they don't sort their kiddies out, on the other hand I also look at it like this my little one is well behaved but he is a kiddy and can have his off day :Scared:I have no bother having a word with him in his ear like (no bellowing mind) but I know for a fact even with all the toys in the world to keep him occupied he would get to a certain point and say (queue winey voice) "are weeeee gooooing yeeeetttt?"

I start my business this year (fingers crossed) and I will be mobile with the view to run it along side a home salon next year (well thats as long as my home is still standing by then!) so I'm hoping to appeal to both sides of the market, however in my home salon like heck I'd let their little ones here, so my offer to them would be mobile. Best of both worlds! Its got nothing to do with liking or not liking kids (Ive worked with them and have a lovely son and brood of neice and nephews) but everything to do with convenience, atmosphere, ambience, health and safety, mess, insurance claims, thinking of my other clients are a few more besides. On the one hand I get cross with the parents that say nothing but I also dont like the BELLOWING parents either, so to reduce that problem no kiddies allowed unless its your own home. :p

but not until they are over the age of 12 are they allowed around my salon unless they are having a treatment.

I think age can be as annoying as younger kids, especially boys who would be bored with sitting there, why not raise it to 16?

dogs dont stay for the duration of clients services, they sometimes bring them down to me to say hello! I wouldnt allow dogs to be running around all over the shop as i dont children! x

Ewwww that's still a no no for me, I'm a people person more than an animal person as you can probably tell :wink2:

One salon I was in the owner had her own dog in the salon all the time .

One day it had a grotty botty and was sitting on a client :Scared:

Same day a little girl who came in with her mum to have a treatment was spinning around on a cutting stool and bashed her head :!:

not a good day to be a salon owner and perhaps a lesson learned

Eurrgggh do you mean the dog actually **** on the client? The kid story, well shame on the mother for not stopping her in the first place and for the owner not asking the mother to stop her.

I know there has been a lot of input but thought i would quickly give my view.

No children in the salon..your not going flippin shopping are ya!

1. It's dangerous and a lot of insurance companies don't allow it.
2. whats the chance of the parents paying for the products they damage!!
3. other clients are there for a enjoyable experience they don't want kids running round riot, as cute as they can be.
4. they slow treatments down cos parents are always trying to get them to behave.

I have now asked clients (i am mobile) that they arrange sitters for their children as 1 kid started getting everything out my nail box and i'm 2 shy to turn round and tell them to tell him to stop it!

I do allow children in the salon, we are quite family friendly.
Most kids are well behaved, I have a drawing box and lollipops for well behaved children. :) If they do play up I fix them with my mean stare and and a few sharp words, they soon behave!
I won't allow them to run about or touch equipment and I am firm with the rules the minute they step through the door.
I don't, personally, cut their hair (unless it is a firm regulars child and they have requested me), I have been hairdressing for 23 yrs and think I have earned this right!
I don't allow feeding of a child, when I am working on a client but I also don't allow people chatting on their mobile phones.

I know there has been a lot of input but thought i would quickly give my view.

No children in the salon..your not going flippin shopping are ya!

1. It's dangerous and a lot of insurance companies don't allow it.
2. whats the chance of the parents paying for the products they damage!!
3. other clients are there for a enjoyable experience they don't want kids running round riot, as cute as they can be.
4. they slow treatments down cos parents are always trying to get them to behave.

I have now asked clients (i am mobile) that they arrange sitters for their children as 1 kid started getting everything out my nail box and i'm 2 shy to turn round and tell them to tell him to stop it!

Input is good! Do you get adults to pay for damages? They'd just say most likely that is why you have insurance so why put the same onus on kids? Not all kids run riot, you must all have clients with hooligan children the amount of times I've seen this comment on here. :wink2:

What also slows down treatments is therapists/hairdressers answering the phone so it's a 2 way thing here. However, someone has to, extend the favour be a bit more family friendly. I don't know of any salons by me who have a no children policy or a no elderly policy like we've seen ha ha.

If it's your stuff and you don't want people/kids to touch it then you should really stop being too shy, even if it's just a "oh no don't touch that". If I needed a beauty treatment and was banned from salons with my kids then I'd look at mobile therapists but apparently they're banning kids from my home now too. Ok so I don't actually book treatments but just pointing your client's point of view across!!

I do allow children in the salon, we are quite family friendly.
Most kids are well behaved, I have a drawing box and lollipops for well behaved children. :) If they do play up I fix them with my mean stare and and a few sharp words, they soon behave!
I won't allow them to run about or touch equipment and I am firm with the rules the minute they step through the door.
I don't, personally, cut their hair (unless it is a firm regulars child and they have requested me), I have been hairdressing for 23 yrs and think I have earned this right!
I don't allow feeding of a child, when I am working on a client but I also don't allow people chatting on their mobile phones.

Very good compromise that works very well for all.

Input is good! Do you get adults to pay for damages? They'd just say most likely that is why you have insurance so why put the same onus on kids? Not all kids run riot, you must all have clients with hooligan children the amount of times I've seen this comment on here. :wink2:

Before I banned under 16's I did have an incident with a horrible 8 year old that kept smashing my waxing trolly into the wall, bang, bang, bang. Mother laying there totally oblivious to it (she's banned too now!). Spotting that this was a total H&S issue I called my insurance co who advised me that children are NOT covered for accidents & damages in the salon.

And no, not all kids run riot, some just whinge on and on with a few that are good but this is a risk that I don't want for one and as I'm in Matt's club it's my choice to not have to put up with this kind of behaviour in my salon.

It is an awkward one, but i suppose mums sometimes have to bring them in if they have nobody else to look after them. However !!! It is the responsibility of the parent to make sure they dont touch anything, A few years ago in a salon i worked in a mum had brought her 7yr old daughter in when she was having her tan done, the old manual application creme one!! anyway the daughter stuck her whole hand into a wax pot :evil: i will never forget the mess not to mention she could have burned her hand off there was two of us trying to get the wax off with citri clean equipment cleaner , the mother said zilch no apologies nothing wasnt a bit mortified or anything, after that the manager put a ban on children in the treatment rooms .
I think if they are in for quickie treatments , its ok but any longer they do get bored, i know mine would.

Before I banned under 16's I did have an incident with a horrible 8 year old that kept smashing my waxing trolly into the wall, bang, bang, bang. Mother laying there totally oblivious to it (she's banned too now!)..

Obviously how the child is raised if the mother is banned too. Some parents just don't discipline their kids unfortunately.

It is an awkward one, but i suppose mums sometimes have to bring them in if they have nobody else to look after them. However !!! It is the responsibility of the parent to make sure they dont touch anything, A few years ago in a salon i worked in a mum had brought her 7yr old daughter in when she was having her tan done, the old manual application creme one!! anyway the daughter stuck her whole hand into a wax pot :evil: i will never forget the mess not to mention she could have burned her hand off there was two of us trying to get the wax off with citri clean equipment cleaner , the mother said zilch no apologies nothing wasnt a bit mortified or anything, after that the manager put a ban on children in the treatment rooms .
I think if they are in for quickie treatments , its ok but any longer they do get bored, i know mine would.

Maybe the mum was mortified and that's why she said nothing or if she opened her mouth she may have screamed blue murder.

I had to take my youngest today to the hairdressers, had my hair re-styled on Saturday, big mistake it looks horrendous! Had to go back today to have it re-done, still doesn't look great so I'll have to get some hair extensions in to make it look good :mad:

Anyway, I took my 19 month old and she sat in her buggy the whole time. After about 10 minutes she got a bit bored and tried to pull her tights off so I gave her my business phone and she just sat looking at the apps and the pictures, changing the settings so I have different background and screen saver pictures lol. We were in there for about 40 minutes and she was great, she didn't talk to the staff until it was time to go, she waved and said "bye"

I have a problem with clients bringing their (badly behaved) children into my salon. Quite often this results in them spinning around on my stool, spilling things etc- one even threw up! :mad:
Ideally I would like to ban them altogether but realise this isn't practical! There is only so many times I can say 'get off that' 'don't touch that' etc.
Anyone else having this problem and any ideas how to resolve it?

I don't like children in the salon. Very well behaved children that sit still and don't move a muscle I can tolerate but the ones that touch everything and ask a million questions drive me insane. I don't blame the child though its the parents that bring them and let them play up that annoy me, actually even the ones that tell them off are annoying as what do they expect ?!

If my friends are having an eyebrow wax or something I do let them bring their children as I have toys at home they can play with but even then its a hassle.

I remember when I worked in the salon taking nearly 45mins to do an eyebrow wax as a client kept having to lie her baby on her tummy to stop her crying and Ive had to wax another clients legs whilst rocking a baby in a car seat with my foot its a nightmare.

I have a child and I wouldn't dream of taking him to a salon unless I knew 100% he would sit in the chair and read a book or something, this is assuming he was older ! I would also ask at time of booking if it was ok.

As someone that hated kids before I had my baby I can totally understand some peoples dislike of having children around. Its not just the salon owners either its the other clients that have to be taken into consideration.

If your not comfortable saying that clients children are a problem then I would just go with the insurance claim.

While I agree feeding a baby, in any form, is inconvenient while performing a hair cut I think you are being incredibly rude and insensitive. Not all babies are predictable in when they will be hungry and it is not fair to the baby to make them go with out food for the stylists convenience. I think we (people in the industry) should suck it up and be glad we have a client in our chair that is taking good care of their child when there are so many children in the world that don't have someone to love and care for them.

I think it is great that your client has chosen to breast feed. I did with my daughter and I plan to with my son. That said, there is nothing wrong with a woman that can't or won't b/f. It is a person choice and every situation is different, if the mom isn't comfortable the baby won't be either.

Sorry if I was too blunt, it may be the hormones with my son due in 5 weeks.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I totally agree with breasfeeding, but there is a place and time to do so, I agree with the hairdresser but she is the one that rules in her salon, so if the customer decides to b/f then stop the haircut and allow the poor woman to sit comfortably elsewhere to feed her baby, b/f takes around 10mins then carry on as normal dont you think?

Latest posts

Back