Children in the salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this analogy.

I adopt a dog, a PUPPY.. Only 12wks old.
You know what 12wks old puppies do? they PEE.

How about if I booked an appointment and cried "oh but I must bring my puppy, she was neglected and abused and suffers separation anxiety, and I just rescued her. Poor puppy. She needed someone to love and care for her."
How about if said puppy runs about the salon peeing everywhere, annoying clients with her noisy yapping and chewing on electric cords for the blowdryers.

THAT wouldn't be tolerated.

Well, it's no different.

I CHOSE to be a Mom and I CHOSE to be a dog owner.
it's MY job to do what I need to do and nobody elses.
And if I have to go without something I want because of MY choices, then too bad so sad for me. I shouldn't have made those choices if I didn't want to make sacrifices.

How about this analogy.

I adopt a dog, a PUPPY.. Only 12wks old.
You know what 12wks old puppies do? they PEE.

How about if I booked an appointment and cried "oh but I must bring my puppy, she was neglected and abused and suffers separation anxiety, and I just rescued her. Poor puppy. She needed someone to love and care for her."
How about if said puppy runs about the salon peeing everywhere, annoying clients with her noisy yapping and chewing on electric cords for the blowdryers.

THAT wouldn't be tolerated.

Well, it's no different.

I CHOSE to be a Mom and I CHOSE to be a dog owner.
it's MY job to do what I need to do and nobody elses.
And if I have to go without something I want because of MY choices, then too bad so sad for me. I shouldn't have made those choices if I didn't want to make sacrifices.

I allow puppies in the salon:wink2:

PS:
What it REALLY comes down to is this.

Personal Choices AND the FREEDOM to make them.

It doesn't make someone rude for having made a choice that differs from your own.

So, just as it is the Salon's right to ban children.
It is also the client's right to choose another salon.
The salon can lose a client. The client can lose a great service.

NOBODY has the right to IMPOSE their PERSONAL choices upon someone else.
Period.

If you ever had to try and keep a womans head still when her kids are about, then people understand a "no kids" rule.
Hair salons have lots of sharp things around and women nowadays refuse to tell their children not to touch. Very few people discipline their children enough that they can sit still and wait quietly.We refuse to do people who bring kids without another adult to supervise them. Way too destructive and difficult.

While I'm on a rant, what is it with women that think during a haircut is a good time to breastfeed? They cannot position their heads correctly, and hair drops all over the baby.
The most STUPID thing I have to deal with. None of us care if you are trying to prove something, all we care about is getting the haircut done.

Brilliantly put!

I breastfed both of my children and YET I managed NOT do to it whilst getting a haircut.
HOW?? By 'scheduling' my appointments according to my daughter's sleep schedule.
She is NOT being rude.
it's simply a FACT. It's impossible to carry out some treatments whilst a woman is breastfeeding.
I think the moms need to 'suck it up' and take responsibility for their own choices without inflicting their choices upon others.

And this following comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular:
Any mom that claims she can't find childcare is full of **** and didn't look very hard. There is ALWAYS someone that knows someone that knows someone willing to babysit. check them out. Get references etc. There are always options.
WHY ON EARTH should a professional be responsible for YOUR family? You chose to give birth, NOT him/her.
Motherhood means that YOU give things up and that YOU are responsible.
NO ONE ELSE

Example:
Why is the shampoo girl chasing the toddler around the salon instead of rinsing the bleach out of the woman's hair? So, the woman with the bleach should be inconvenienced and get fried hair because YOU can't find child care? That's BS and utterly selfish on the part of the mother.
The tech should fall behind schedule and annoy her next client because you need to change a nappy? Thereby making less per hour because you are taking up more of her time than you should? How would you like to make less per hour?

I'm a MOTHER and I faced many challenges that a single mom does (not all, I'm not comparing, don't get me wrong) because at one time, my husband worked 7 days a week. AND YET I NEVER EVER expected everyone to 'cater' to my needs because "I" decided not to watch cable one night:rolleyes: and get pregnant. I lived in a town with no nearby friends or family and low and behold, asked around, talked to neighbors and guess what? I FOUND A BABYSITTER.

And frankly, if you can't afford a sitter whilst getting your services, then perhaps you shouldn't be getting them to begin with if the budget is that tight.

We're not talking about a 'handicap'. Professionals will go the extra mile to 'help' their clients . It's a no-brainer. I do little things all the time for clients that I don't have to do.
BUT SERIOUSLY... no one has the right to 'expect' us to put our insurance at risk, our wages at risk AND annoy other clients JUST for them.
THAT is rude and self absorbed.

This is a bit strong to be honest. You must have had amazing babies, mine would feed erratically, sometimes 3 hours between and sometimes 20 minutes if they had fallen asleep during a feed. You cannot schedule breast fed babies for your convenience, it's called demand feeding.

I thought Persianista's comment was funny not rude although i wouldn't have seen it as inconvenient.

The "cannot find childcare is full of ****" comment well, I totally disagree with that. I personally won't leave my kids with just ANYONE, so no friend of a friend of a friend of a friend even with references. There are not always options, I spent years away from my family bringing up 4 kids by myself and studying nursing too so I have used nurseries,friends and childminders (who I knew) so no childcare is not impossible.

It gets to a stage now though that I won't ask people to look after my young ones as I don't want to take advantage especially for something that is not that important or life threatening. However, for someone who like myself, does not used paid childcare and has no family near by and won't have a random stranger looking after their kids will not be able to get childcare easily.

How convenient would it be for me to phone up my MIL if my hubby is away and say "can you drive 180 miles to look after the little one so I can go and get a hair cut?" Would I knock on my neighbours door and ask them to look after her, no. Would a nursery be open to doing an odd hour or two every month, erm absolutely not. So it's not easy.

For me it's not about money (even though you weren't directing your thread at anyone in particular) I can afford to pay someone, I can afford to get a nanny in, I can afford to go to an agency and get a babysitter but I won't. These days you never know who is going to be walking in your house, or who you will take your kids to. So if I'm not working, wherever I go my little one goes with me and whoever doesn't like it I won't go anywhere near that place. So it suits us both :Love:

Doing a haircut on a breastfeeding woman is about as easy as doing a facial on her!

There are a breed of militant women who wake a baby to feed them during a haircut, then glare at you for asking them to put their head in position.

Sorry but I work to an appointment schedule. I personally don't care where people feed babies, but I do care about a wonky haircut, hair going everywhere, and being late for the next ten clients.

I'm wondering how the hell these women feed their kids lol. It's not hard to keep your head still is it? Oh and I never understood this feed your child every 4 hours, feed them when it's hungry, it's worked in the past :biggrin: You must have some strange clients :wink2:

This is a bit strong to be honest. You must have had amazing babies, mine would feed erratically, sometimes 3 hours between and sometimes 20 minutes if they had fallen asleep during a feed. You cannot schedule breast fed babies for your convenience, it's called demand feeding.

I thought Persianista's comment was funny not rude although i wouldn't have seen it as inconvenient.

The "cannot find childcare is full of ****" comment well, I totally disagree with that. I personally won't leave my kids with just ANYONE, so no friend of a friend of a friend of a friend even with references. There are not always options, I spent years away from my family bringing up 4 kids by myself and studying nursing too so I have used nurseries,friends and childminders (who I knew) so no childcare is not impossible.

It gets to a stage now though that I won't ask people to look after my young ones as I don't want to take advantage especially for something that is not that important or life threatening. However, for someone who like myself, does not used paid childcare and has no family near by and won't have a random stranger looking after their kids will not be able to get childcare easily.

How convenient would it be for me to phone up my MIL if my hubby is away and say "can you drive 180 miles to look after the little one so I can go and get a hair cut?" Would I knock on my neighbours door and ask them to look after her, no. Would a nursery be open to doing an odd hour or two every month, erm absolutely not. So it's not easy.

For me it's not about money (even though you weren't directing your thread at anyone in particular) I can afford to pay someone, I can afford to get a nanny in, I can afford to go to an agency and get a babysitter but I won't. These days you never know who is going to be walking in your house, or who you will take your kids to. So if I'm not working, wherever I go my little one goes with me and whoever doesn't like it I won't go anywhere near that place. So it suits us both :Love:

I agree i also have 4kids and dont have anyone to watch them apart from when im at work and then i pay for nursery and after school which is not cheap so if there is a night out my husband goes or i go not very often we get out together so if i have to go to get my hair or waxing done they sometimes have to come one evening i had to take them into a training night BUT they do behave or i wouldn't take them with me i wouldn't embarrass myself taking them if they didnt i had a mother bring her children in the salon a few weeks ago and thought it would be aright for her daughter to go up and down the salon on her scooter she was soon told so i think as long as they can sit a be good but if there not then i would say something god i went on abit there lol sorry guys :)

I've inserted my replies below

Sorry if I came across strong, but it offended me to be thought of as 'rude' for simply making choices that didn't suit someone else. I didn't mean to be so abrupt.
Frankly, in the beginning when they were tiny, they were fed on demand AND I skipped the salon for 6mths. That was MY choice. Not to impose my baby upon the salon staff. That was MY sacrifice. Later, I would pump and hubby would handle it if I had to go out. There are 'options' and salon staff shouldn't be punished, nor the other clients.

That is your CHOICE. it doesn't mean that you can't find childcare, which is entirely different from choosing NOT to use what is available. I didn't "just leave my kids with anyone". I did my homework, had them over as 'mother's helpers on a couple of occasions and if all went well THEN they were hired.

Take it from someone who was abused as a child... those I trust are few and far between (*not trying to deviate, just trying to make the point that I DO understand). So, I know it's not easy. But again, it's a CHOICE that a client makes, not to make use of available childcare that CAN be found IF you look for it.

I know. My mother NEVER babysat my kids. My sister and sister's in law live in another province 6hrs away etc etc etc.. I get it. I do know how hard it is.

Exactly, that is your freedom to make a CHOICE of a place that suits you both as it is the freedom of choice of a salon to say no to kids.
That's just my point I was trying to make.
it's not RUDE to have a choice that differs from others.
What's rude is imposing one's choice on others. That's all i was trying to say.
:hug:

Exactly, that is your freedom to make a CHOICE of a place that suits you both as it is the freedom of choice of a salon to say no to kids.

This is very well said. I do not allow children under 16 in my salon and I don't treat them either but it annoys the hell out of me when a client just turns up with a kid without even checking with me if it's ok first (or just ignoring the fact that I have it clearly stated on my treatment menu just because it suits them at the time).

I don't just turn up places with my dog.

and before I spark a 'oh but that's jut a dog not the future generation etc' debate can I just state that to me my dog is my baby, I chose to have him over the two legged variety.

This debate has highlighted the need for fully licensed drop-in nurseries. My daughter, who does supply teaching, has to sign up in half-term blocks for day-care for her toddlers yet can't guarantee getting any work. Just as well I love doing hand-prints and playing hide and seek.......(sometimes the kids join in too!!)

I never thought you were rude (did someone else say that?) but I did think it was strong wording lol. Everyone has their choice and not everyone likes that choice and that is fine.

Whatever you decide with childcare is ok as long as it is acceptable to them, I went back to uni when my 3rd was 3 weeks old and back on the wards when he was 6 weeks so I've done the lot. After I qualified I thought "I'm never doing that again" and I haven't. With my 4th I took 18 months off and with my 5th I was treating clients after 11 days but only at home and well spaced apart. Again that was only because my hubby was home.

sounds like we've all been through the mill, but no more than you by what you said before, how awful. :hug:

I never thought you were rude (did someone else say that?) but I did think it was strong wording lol. Everyone has their choice and not everyone likes that choice and that is fine.

It was someone else that used the word rude, and I'm not awake enough to go read it all again lol

Sometimes I come across 'harsh' or 'abrupt' when I'm really just being emphatic about a point I'm trying to make. In MOST cases (such as this one) I don't intend to be.

Exactly, no one has to like everyone else's choice. But we should't condemn others for their choices IF those choices aren't hurting anyone. :Love:

Without alienating your clientelle, a simply notice along the lines of saying "young children must be accomplied whilst in salon, we cannot be held reponisble if your child injuries themselves". You can make references that your reception staff are not qualified babysitters! Hope this helps!

I went to a salon where the reception had a huge notice stating that the compliementry sweets where not suitable for children that had allergies!!! (i dont think sweets stop children!) xoxo

I think that's part of what makes me popular as a mobile nail tech, the clients who aren't welcome with their children in salons prefer to have me come round and do their nails while the little 'uns are either napping or playing.They're happy in their own environment, my client is relaxed, I do my job - everybody's happy!!

It was someone else that used the word rude, and I'm not awake enough to go read it all again lol

Sometimes I come across 'harsh' or 'abrupt' when I'm really just being emphatic about a point I'm trying to make. In MOST cases (such as this one) I don't intend to be.

Exactly, no one has to like everyone else's choice. But we should't condemn others for their choices IF those choices aren't hurting anyone. :Love:

I know I just didn't want to mention who it was, let sleeping dogs lie if that is an appropriate saying to use but you know what I mean.xx

I think that's part of what makes me popular as a mobile nail tech, the clients who aren't welcome with their children in salons prefer to have me come round and do their nails while the little 'uns are either napping or playing.They're happy in their own environment, my client is relaxed, I do my job - everybody's happy!!

Very good point and perfect example of why there is a deffinitely a place for mobile theraists and why salons should not need to be bullied into accepting children when they don't want to.

Without alienating your clientelle, a simply notice along the lines of saying "young children must be accomplied whilst in salon, we cannot be held reponisble if your child injuries themselves". You can make references that your reception staff are not qualified babysitters! Hope this helps!

I went to a salon where the reception had a huge notice stating that the compliementry sweets where not suitable for children that had allergies!!! (i dont think sweets stop children!) xoxo

I'm not sure how these notices would stand with your insurance co if disclaimers don't stand up in court? If a 4 year old took their eye out with some tweezers would Mummy not try and claim because the sign says so?

Perhaps a bit extreme but you get my point!

Two things made me ban kids, the first was comeing in to find a woman had been in for a tattoo and brought her 4 year old twins with her, one of them had pulled my trolley over, I had a nice big metal vanity box on top of it, the kid was dam lucky he didn't have it land on his head.
The second was a mum with a baby, she honestly thought I could do a full set of nails on her while baby stayed in the pram.
Oh he's not due for a feed for at least another 3 hours. Against my better judgment I set to, doing one hand at a time, I got as far as applying acrylic to 3 nails when he woke up and wouldn't settle, he had wind, I ended up winding her baby then he was passed around the each member of staff who wasn't doing a tattoo or a piercing. I said never again, put a sign up on my desk and, as I said, never lost a customer because of it.
I have taken my own kids with me when I had my hair done, but not until they were old enough to sit still for the whole time I was there.
I would have been mortified if my kids ran around someones place of work, even in the supermarket, it was unexceptable behaiviour and they knew it.
They also knew that if they behaved when I'd finished what I needed to do they would go to a play park or get an ice cream.
Children don't know how to behave if we don't teach them and they should always know that being alowed to mix with adults means they must behave like adults.
Respect cuts both ways.:hug:

As someone who is Childfree I will not allow kids in my Salon.

Ok, to be honest I can't stand children!! I really can't - I don't want to interact with them, I don't want to pretend they look cute, I don't want anything to do with them. Friends have house parties / bbq's and they know to text me to say when it is safe for me to join them - ie when all the kids have left.

Unless the salon is specifically designed to cater to children then they are for me strictly adult only spaces. They are for adults to get treatments, to be relax, to enjoy, and to forget about the outside world for that short time so they can leave feeling good about themselves.

The argument 'but they won't be a problem, they are well behaved' doesn't wash with me. It is one rule for all - no kids. Allow one, you have to allow them all.

Tradeshows are the same - why is anyone under the age of 16 allowed in?

Right I better stop now or I will be ranting on for another two hours and still typing!

Mat

Latest posts

Back