Child's manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi

My mobile business is quite new and I've just had an email from someone asking if I would give their daughter a manicure "possibly a French manicure", but that she's only 7! They also asked how much I would charge for this.

Although I thought I might venture into the princess party market at some point, I'd never thought about individual requests like this.

I only do natural nails so it's not like it'd be extensions, but for some reason the thought of this makes me feel uncomfortable - I can't explain why. And like I said, I wouldn't have a problem doing child manicures in a "princess party" environment - so I really am making no sense!

What I'd like to know from you nail geeks is, is this a common request and if so do you do them and what do you charge? I think I'm insured providing the parent is there throughout the treatment (of course I would check this if I was going to proceed). I was also thinking that surely it would be more of a file and polish situation - would you give a child a full on manicure with massage, mask etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!
x

Hi

My mobile business is quite new and I've just had an email from someone asking if I would give their daughter a manicure "possibly a French manicure", but that she's only 7! They also asked how much I would charge for this.

Although I thought I might venture into the princess party market at some point, I'd never thought about individual requests like this.

I only do natural nails so it's not like it'd be extensions, but for some reason the thought of this makes me feel uncomfortable - I can't explain why. And like I said, I wouldn't have a problem doing child manicures in a "princess party" environment - so I really am making no sense!

What I'd like to know from you nail geeks is, is this a common request and if so do you do them and what do you charge? I think I'm insured providing the parent is there throughout the treatment (of course I would check this if I was going to proceed). I was also thinking that surely it would be more of a file and polish situation - would you give a child a full on manicure with massage, mask etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!
x

It depends on what the client is asking you to do! If they want the works then give them the works.
Normally for a child it would be a file and polish and I would charge the same as I would charge anyone else for it.
My grand daughters love me to polish their nails ... why feel funny about it. Make it fun!

Thanks Geeg! You're right - as always ;)!

Little girls love painting their nails, I think it can be good they are taking an intrest in their hands/nails.

My little girl has her nails painted every week and loves it she had her toes minxed all the time and uses solar oil:eek:.

I would charge the same as it is no diffrent to doing an adults nails whom has a small nail plate is it not? only little bit more tricky, also make sure she does not smudge esp if doing french haha xx

i would offer a file and polish or maybe blixz or hand painted nail art i would however get her parent or guardian to sign a consent form and be present during the treatment

oh and defo charge full price

It is also a very good opportunity to educate the child. Talk to them about proper filing, moisturizing and polishing techniques and the importance of base coat, etc. I offer small discounts for good report cards.

It is also a very good opportunity to educate the child. Talk to them about proper filing, moisturizing and polishing techniques and the importance of base coat, etc. I offer small discounts for good report cards.
[

Better still teach her from the get go that having her nails cared for is a regular part of good grooming like hair and plays a significant role in how people perceive another person. Educate the consumers of tomorrow :green:!

I do manis on my 4 year old sons as they have very brittle nails and doing manis helps them alot,i wouldn't feel weird over doing another childs nails this way but i would make sure the parent is with them at all times
sazza

Not sure about prices etc but just to let you know that my daughter is 7 and i look after her nails for her - a little while ago she 'tried' to look after her nails and filed all her lovely length off, very wonkily lol with her own small pink mani kit lol. She sees me doing other peoples and makes her curious, this is healthy i think. I do a file and polish - i'm not sure if there'd be any implications health wise at that age to do massages? Not sure abotu this, but i guess you could do some gentle strokes with oil? Or better still, if you feel guilty for charging the full price why not give her a nail file and cuticle oil or something like that? Or perfect opportunity to suggest to her a princess party like you said you were thinkin about.... maybe say if she gets 3/4 of her friends u could offer a 10% discount as a trial price - everyone loves a bargain AND its the summer hols, no better time :)

Forgot to say before i started to do nails my daughter and i were terrible nail biters, 6 mths ago after my training we both stopped (and we have both done it since we could start biting them) and both love to care for our nails now :)

I do my grandaughter's from time to time she is nearly four............ she loves it! It stops her biting them!
Two weeks ago she had a sleep over and I did her nails and toes and even put a glitter top coat on her toes, they looked fab! When her mum picked her up she told her " I've booked in with nanny to do them again for my holiday" cheeky thing !
She is coming tomorrow along with her mum to have them done for their hols!!

Thank you all for your ideas, advice and experiences. Mum and daughter are booked in and I'm looking forward to it! x

Latest posts

Back