Chipping Shellac - at my wits end!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curls

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'll try keep this brief. Basically my shellac chips on the corners really fast - a few days old. I've tried troubleshooting with various things and nothing is helping. There must be something I'm doing /not doing??? Randomly some colours last better than others. If you see on the picture, the middle finger and thumb.

My routine is alcohol (not prosecco), base, colour x2, (sometimes glitter) top.

Any advice ladies please, and thankyou xxx

Attachments

• 1482533233191487695200.jpg
    1482533233191487695200.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 249
Are you using all CND products, including the lamp? Scrubfresh is the protocol for cleansing, not alcohol. Are you doing cuticle work?

Are you using all CND products, including the lamp? Scrubfresh is the protocol for cleansing, not alcohol. Are you doing cuticle work?

Yes all cnd products, and I've just replaced the bulbs in the lamp too. Yes I have a cleansing product similar to Scrubfresh but tried alcohol in an attempt to improve adhesion. Cuticle work on myself is minimal as I tend to my nails regularly - but that shouldn't make the tips/corners lift and chip?? Would it? X

Scrubfresh is the best and what you should be using. You must do cuticle work (PEP) each time. Cuticle can grow all the way down the nail plate. Also layers may be too thick, as well as glitter too thick and not completely covered by top coat.

Are you making sure your base coat is super thin?

I know this doesn't help with the issue but mine on myself used to do that but since I've had my nails oval I don't have a problem x

thick application of shellac does this, make sure you cap the free edge reeeeally good too. i used to have this issue till i started capping properly

I've found square or squoval shape is more likely to chip on those edges the rounded shapes seem not to chip.

Just a thought... it could be exposure to acetone when you are doing your clients nails? Seems odd but I have this issue from working with acetone all-day-long. Lol.

I apply a thick 2nd colour coat and top coat they do not peel. However I find when my nails are long, they can chip quicker compared to when they're short as they're not used as tools much. I've never experience them peeling away like that unless I physically peel them off...

I was wondering if you were exposed to acetone at work and that was causing it.

Do you use plastic backed pads to work with the Scrubfresh?.

Latest posts

Back