Chlorine and tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek20

Reaction score
I have a client who regularly has spray tans and they are usually always fine. She knows how to prep properly etc.

She has recently started going swimming over the last 4 weeks. In that time she has had 2 spray tans. Each time she has been swimming before having the tan. She has showered before having her spray tan , however the tan doesn't seem to be developing on her skin. Even the darkest tan doesn't look as dark as usual.

Could chlorine be the reason? xx

I know chlorine bleaches the colour out of a tan (swimming after being sprayed) but had not heard of it affecting the skin before a tan, maybe she could try to use a different shower gel or soap to remove more of the remnants of the chlorine after swimming before she has a tan.
How long before the tan is she showering? Is the skin having long enough after the shower to settle back to natural PH levels before being sprayed?

I know chlorine bleaches the colour out of a tan (swimming after being sprayed) but had not heard of it affecting the skin before a tan, maybe she could try to use a different shower gel or soap to remove more of the remnants of the chlorine after swimming before she has a tan.
How long before the tan is she showering? Is the skin having long enough after the shower to settle back to natural PH levels before being sprayed?

Yeah I know the tan can be affected with chlorine once it's on. Just seems strange that she never usually has issues and usually goes straight from work to shower and then comes straight to me for her tan. She went swimming in the morning and then showered, then when she was at home she showered again at about 4 and then came for her tan at 5. xx

After a tan, chlorine is like a remover, i remember having one and my tanned arms came off in a sleeve of dead skin, it was ghastly.

I used to swim everyday and even after 10 showers I would still smell of it so it doesnt surprise me that it would stop tan adhering as water does the same thing.

She shouldn't even be getting wet the day she has her tan, not even a shower.

You give her the prep & aftercare & its up to her if shes going to follow it. Tanning is 50/50 with you doing your job and her doing hers at home.

xx

After a tan, chlorine is like a remover, i remember having one and my tanned arms came off in a sleeve of dead skin, it was ghastly.

I used to swim everyday and even after 10 showers I would still smell of it so it doesnt surprise me that it would stop tan adhering as water does the same thing.

She shouldn't even be getting wet the day she has her tan, not even a shower.

You give her the prep & aftercare & its up to her if shes going to follow it. Tanning is 50/50 with you doing your job and her doing hers at home.

xx
I have never heard of anyone saying to avoid water on the day of a tan before.

I would not advise my clients to avoid water on the day of their tan (just avoid getting wet after the tan), they can shower or bath but the skin must be allowed to return to it's natural PH levels before tanning (so I advise them to shower no less than hour before a tan apointment) some clients need to wash to remove purfume, deoderant, make up etc.. that they have worn to work or whatever that day,

I would prefer them to shower before I arrive than to try and tan them with a face full of make up etc...

I'm quite surprised by this. It makes a massive difference to the outcome. I can't stand when people ignore my advice and shower beforehand. My regulars make up for it though, they are so committed <3 When they've showered, the solution beads up on the skin, its doesn't absorb as well, they leave looking all shiny and greasy and they often get chicken spots on legs where they've shaved (look like a plucked chicken where the pores are still enlarged even hours after). I can see if they've followed my advice the second I start spraying. Usually it's really helpful because if they were to go on to have any other issues, I already know they haven't followed my preparation and can advise accordingly. Lol I don't tan them with makeup on or ask them to remove makeup, I tell them not to wear it and they listen. Wearing makeup on the day stops the face absorbing even if its removed as the remover is a barrier aswell.

So after the tan has developed and washed off etc after development time. To go in a swimming pool, would this still act as a remover or is it just while its developing ?

I was a daily swimmer and if I took a few days off from it my skin would still smell of chlorine even after shower with shower gel and body lotions, regular swimmers def have a residual of chlorine in they're skin which I think is your clients problem

So after the tan has developed and washed off etc after development time. To go in a swimming pool, would this still act as a remover or is it just while its developing ?

Yes, unfortunately it does :-( My teenage daughter is really fair skinned. Two days into our last holiday her spray tan had completely gone as she had spent so much time in the pool!

Latest posts

Back