chronic nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady H

Reaction score
My friend has asked me instead of buying her something for xmas will I do her nails. Now I had consumed an awful lot of wine and agreed to this but I dont know if its possible. She has always bitten her nails to death and the nail bed is about 4 millimetres in lenght and about the same in width. She wants white tips which have a very small well, are these going to look daft? I am still learning so I am not able to sculpt free edges etc or apply clear tips and paint on the white. should i just buy her a bottle of JD like every year and pretend i forgot? lol

white tips would be a definite NO-NO... they would look totally out of place on such a short nailbed... maybe try to encourage her to have weekly manicures until her nails have grown a bit more... she needs to have self-discipline NOT to bite and nibble them, harder said than done.
why not have a chat with her and see if she'll be willing to try to grow them, then if she succeeds you will give her a nice set of natural enhancements...

my nails are as short as that and I can't have white tips - they look ridiculous!

ValencianNails said:
white tips would be a definite NO-NO... they would look totally out of place on such a short nailbed... maybe try to encourage her to have weekly manicures until her nails have grown a bit more... she needs to have self-discipline NOT to bite and nibble them, harder said than done.
why not have a chat with her and see if she'll be willing to try to grow them, then if she succeeds you will give her a nice set of natural enhancements...

I thought they might look a bit freaky. I will tell her to stop biting but to be honest I will be banging my head off a brick wall. She is almost as addicted to chewing the damn things as she is to smoking! She usually sticks false nails on herself but they dont last long as she has nowt to stick them to! lol

Fingertips ND said:
my nails are as short as that and I can't have white tips - they look ridiculous!

Lol better get to asda for a bottle of JD then....

harvey said:
I thought they might look a bit freaky. I will tell her to stop biting but to be honest I will be banging my head off a brick wall. She is almost as addicted to chewing the damn things as she is to smoking! She usually sticks false nails on herself but they dont last long as she has nowt to stick them to! lol
you could always apply a set of enhancements (if at all possible) and give her weekly maintenance appts... unless you use an opaque powder her free edge (or lack of it) will show through or she could have them polished to hide it.
she needs to understand that it will take time, patience and most of commitment for her to have nice nails.

My friend asked me to do the same, with really badly bitten nails like your friends, and she wanted me to do it all but not to use any tips!!! Had to knock her back, didnt want people to see these shocking nails and have my name put to them.!!!! She probably thought I was a bitch, but thats my living, well trying anyway.:p

ValencianNails said:
you could always apply a set of enhancements (if at all possible) and give her weekly maintenance appts... unless you use an opaque powder her free edge (or lack of it) will show through or she could have them polished to hide it.
she needs to understand that it will take time, patience and most of commitment for her to have nice nails.

Well maybe she had also drunk enough to have forgotten my drunken promise, and all that wine made me feel super-confident that i can tip anything lol. oh how i regretted this on saturday morning. Might tel her if she doesnt bite them for the next 3 weeks will do them in time for xmas and new year. If she bites, its my get out clause. If she doesnt, i will have something to work with and hopefully they might last the week through xmas and new year.

that sounds like the best idea... you will be putting a lot of work into her nails so she must do the same and keep her end of the bargain.
make sure you take loads of pics and you could use her as a case study to add to your portfolio if/when you both succeed :D xx

ValencianNails said:
that sounds like the best idea... you will be putting a lot of work into her nails so she must do the same and keep her end of the bargain.
make sure you take loads of pics and you could use her as a case study to add to your portfolio if/when you both succeed :D xx

Yes i will do. i might try and convince her to get normal tips instead of white and have polish. but if not, wish me luck guys!

Hi Helen

i would go for natural tips aswell myself as my nails are quite short and i
only have small nail plates but when i do my own i use the natural tips
as they look much better, try and pursuade her she'll be pleased with
them anyway if own nails are that badly bitten.

jules x

Anyone who has such a chronic habit is only going to pull off all the enhancements you do, which will further damage her already damaged nails.

Forget about these types of nail biters. They are only a short term gain for your business and then when they have trashed the nails they go and tell all their Friends the products did it!! Forget them. These are NOT your long term clients.

this might be a silly question but are nail biters nails better (stronger) than people who dont bite them? im not sure why they say this but a few people have asked me and i never know what to say to them :eek:?

:Love: kate :Love:

Nail biting does not strengthen nails!!
The thickness of the plate is pre-determined by the width of the matrix.
Another one of those myths which abound about nails.

Now if the Matrix has been damaged, that can often alter the thickness of the natural nail and make it either thicker or thinner or different thicknesses in different areas of the same nail.

thanks for that...
:Love: Kate x:Love:

geeg said:
Anyone who has such a chronic habit is only going to pull off all the enhancements you do, which will further damage her already damaged nails.

Forget about these types of nail biters. They are only a short term gain for your business and then when they have trashed the nails they go and tell all their Friends the products did it!! Forget them. These are NOT your long term clients.

Im sooo regretting all that wine now! I hope she cant remember asking me to do them. She is definatly getting thr standard bottle of Jack Daniels for xmas this year then!

Latest posts

Back