Client Base

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamio

Reaction score
Hey geeks! :D

Another question from the n00b lol

I was chatting with some of the other students i go to college with. Some wanna work in a salon, others wanna go mobile. Anyways, one of them told me she's already started to build up a client base. This surprised me as we haven't qualified and aren't that far into the course to have gained many skills. She says she is doing hair during the week for seriously reduced prices. I dunno if she has insurance/paying tax, altho i should imagine she is, as she seems the type to do everything prim and proper, or so to speak.

Basically, I'm just wondering what you guys think to this idea? How could she get insurance if she isn't qualified? I mean, fair play to her as she's been honest with clients and they know she's a student. But could this really work? Not sure what to think to be honest. Isn't it a bit risky and potentially damaging to a reputation if she cocks up someone's hair and then they go blabbing about it?

Your thoughts, geeks?

Kams xx

Not necessarily, I did The SaMe thing, I'd Had some experience years ago but went to college a few years ago to qualify and while I was there I built up a small client base using the skills I had gained so far, I put in ridiculous amounts of practise on head blocks every night too getting my skills and speed up.

Now one year on I've built on that small client base, been qualified a year and have a regular small part time wage, I got insured when I qualified for public liability, nothing is impossible, this girl sounds like she's determined aNd set her mind to it, good for her it is possible. ..

Sent from my Orange San Francisco using SalonGeek

It's absolutely fine, I've just qualified and I would gave loved to have the confidence to work on clients (ie family , friends of family, recommendations etc..) good luck to her. Generally people don't get insurance until they are fully qualified and a decent client base or student insurance. You wouldn't expect get to declare what she's earning as she is a student???

Sorry to put a dampner on this but there are a lot of what if's, If she is just doing family and friends to gain practise then of course thats very valuable but if its extending further she should have insurance and be registered as a business with the tax office/national insurance etc. Hopefully she isn't doing any chemical treatments if she hasn't trained in that yet. The ease with which clients will sue 'no win - no fee' etc if a colour goes wrong or an allergic reaction occurs is a real worry these days.
With all this in mind I think its best to find out legally what the situation is before you build up a client base (outside friends + family) while still unqualified and as you say very early on in your training as well.
All the best.:biggrin:

I agree totally! I did the same thing but it was quite literally for pin money, and purely cuts, blow dries etc, there was no way I wud have put chemicals on strangers hair. They were all also fully aware I was still training.

I personally feel no one should go out mobile straight from college, there's no way in the world you would have enough knowledge. I did full time college, then 3 yrs in a salon before I went mobile. Working with different people gained me a wealth of knowledge of experience.

Hey geeks,

Thanks for all the replies.

I dunno why i was shocked. I think it was the fact we aren't that far into the course and she's already out gaining business. I guess I was just a bit taken back by it 'cos personally, I'm still a bit frightened when i had to work on a paying client, let alone going out into the community doing strangers' hair etc.

Fair play to her i suppose. Wish i had the guts to do that lol

Kams xx

Latest posts

Back