client with alergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylznailz

uniquelicious
Reaction score
hi there me again

sorry for all the posts but havnt been able to send posts for a while wouldnt let me not sure why.

anyway i have a client who has been a regular to me for 12 months or more
she has french tips applied with ibd gel
she has never had probs before untill last month she had new set
went away an about an hour after she came out in a rash round her cuticles red and spotty an started itching and got quite frustrating.....

i advised her i hadnt used anything different only the cuticle oil
so next time she came to me i went back to orignal cuticle oil
she then went away an same thing happened she went to doctors an he gave her cream

i removed them an she had a break for few weeks
i then applied them again an same thing happened again
she had never been like this before so wasnt sure what was wrong an what was the cause ? any ideas

i then soaked them off an applied acrylic then this didnt happen but she simply doesnt like the acrylic an desperately wanted the gels back

she spoke to a friend who had , had this happen to her an now uses calgel an doesnt have any probs

my client asked me if i could get this calgel , i advised her i dont or havnt trained on there system an wasnt sure if they would sell me there products without there training

anyone else experienced this ? if so what did you do

whats best for my client she misses her nails so much an cant bare to be without them what can i do she really wants the gels again ?

lookin forward to your replies

thanks again x

Hi there. Unfortunately if she has an allergy to the product she can't have it again or it will keep happening. The best thing to do is explain the problem & try to get her to switch to the acrylic. Other than that, have you considered switching brands? There are plenty others out there, it may just be something specific to the products you are using rather than gel in general. Sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: Sorry, just read it again. You may well have to retrain if switching brands, it is always advisable anyway when using new brands. Most companies do 1 day courses if you already know how to use gel but are just switching brands. I personally use Creative's Brisa gel & haven't had any problems with it.

nicjill said:
Hi there. Unfortunately if she has an allergy to the product she can't have it again or it will keep happening. The best thing to do is explain the problem & try to get her to switch to the acrylic. Other than that, have you considered switching brands? There are plenty others out there, it may just be something specific to the products you are using rather than gel in general. Sorry I can't be more help.

she had tried other gels with me before an found this one the best an strongest, i cant understand how come its never happened before what made this happen ?

Did it come into contact with the skin at any time? This could cause overexposure & lead to an allergy.

She`s obviously built up the allergy over time and it seems she will be allergic to any gel now she has shown an allergy to it. You need to either switch systems altogether for a while or just treat her natural nails. Either way that product needs to come off straight away. Good luck

Hi

Gel is the the enhancement that you are most likely to have a reaction to then L+P then wrap systems.

You could try another brand but i would say it would be much safer to give the client a break for a while first.

i copied this for you from another post if you do a search under allergys you will get loads of advice there too.

the nail geek said:
The least likely substance (for nail enhancments) to cause an allergic reactions are cyanoacrylate (adhesives and wrap systems).
Saying that, it still can cause allergic reactions it is just far less likely than Methacrylates (L&P) and especially Acrylates (gel).

If somone becomes allergic to Acrylates... switch them to cyanoacrylates or methacrylate systems.
If somone becomes allergic to Methacrylate systems, switch them to cyanoacrylate systems. DO NOT SWITCH THEM TO AN ACRYLATE SYSTEM.

If someone is allergic to adhesive but not to L&P, it will not take long at all for them to become allergic to L&P. Sure, this can only come from overexposure but in the nail world this means contact of product to skin. Adhering tips to natural nail plates with L&P is a sure fire way to overexpose them to the product. I am not saying that this was the case, or that people cant put tips on with L&P wothout skin exposure. It is just that you are far more likely to expose the skin with L&P via this method than others.

Hypoallergenic is neither here nor there with adhesives. Hypoallergenic simply means 'Less likely to cause an allergic reaction than its counterparts'.
A good example of this is hypoallergenic soap. Its still soap, it still cleans... but they dont put a fragerence in it as that is the single most likely culprit of an allergic reaction in the cosmetic industry.
So, on that note... I have no clue what a hypoallergenic cyanoacrylate adhesive is.

Clients who exhibit allergic reactions to substances with little to no known sensitizers are considered to be hypersensitive. In this case your client was allergic to the least offending substance of the 'Acrylic' family; Cyanoacrylates. As such (As Marian mentioned) should not wear any enhancments full stop.

Hope this helps.

nicjill said:
Did it come into contact with the skin at any time? This could cause overexposure & lead to an allergy.

This is exactly what I was thinking too!

haylznailz said:
she had tried other gels with me before an found this one the best an strongest, i cant understand how come its never happened before what made this happen ?
Before you consider Calgel, I would bare in mind that it isnt exactly known for its strength.
Makes a super overlay, or ok for ladies who are not to heavy on their enhancements but, it doesnt sound as if it would be what you are looking for with this client. Hth.

Mrs Geek said:
This is exactly what I was thinking too!

no she didnt get gel on her skin at all , i did as i always did did nothing any different but the cuticle oil

just cant understand it shes gutted shes french tip mad , has nothing else but french.

shes got nothing on her nails at the min but clear nail varnish an her nails are short she said she cant stand it much more

doctor gave her cream to use twice a day.

nicjill said:
Hi ya Haylz,
Even the inhibition layer can cause, with repeated contact an allergy........ It is uncured gel and if it is wiped off like you would remove enamel , can then come in contact with the skin. When removing the inhibition layer I use a cotton pad per nail, place the damp pad on the nail and pull the inhibition layer of the nail in one movement.......

Also yes, I would switch this lady over to a EC Resin system, it's at the bottom of the sensitivity ladder..

HTH

haylznailz said:
no she didnt get gel on her skin at all , i did as i always did did nothing any different but the cuticle oil

just cant understand it shes gutted shes french tip mad , has nothing else but french.

shes got nothing on her nails at the min but clear nail varnish an her nails are short she said she cant stand it much more

doctor gave her cream to use twice a day.

If she is allergic to gel chances are she will always be! Try her with L+P and do Forever French... if you are not getting your brush on her skin... you will be fine! One more thing... it may be that the bulb in your lamp is not giving out the UV that it should... it may still look porple or blue but that doesn't mean the bulb will still be as strong... when was last time the bulb was changed? If this is the case, it means that when she has been leaving... the gel wasn't cured properly and this definitely would have caused over exposure leading to eventual allegic reaction!! Something to think about....

Hi.

When I did acrylic, I had one client who got an allergic to acrylic. AS the other here told, an allergy can occure when you are exposed to something over a long time. She can never use that gel (or other similiar gels) again, the body will remember it and the allergy will be worser each time she use it. (I was told this from my Dr. when I got an allergy against sun-spray. I had never used it before and got a very bad allergy the first time. My Dr. warned me to use it again because it would be worser and worser.)

I have clients who had an allergy to acrylic and resin-systems. I have had very good luck with Angel Love (polycrylic) for them. I have used it for 3 years and have never gotten clients with allergy.

(PS. I am a Norwegian tech, and my English is not perfect at all...:))

Best regards
Cec.

Cec said:
Hi.

When I did acrylic, I had one client who got an allergic to acrylic. AS the other here told, an allergy can occure when you are exposed to something over a long time. She can never use that gel (or other similiar gels) again, the body will remember it and the allergy will be worser each time she use it. (I was told this from my Dr. when I got an allergy against sun-spray. I had never used it before and got a very bad allergy the first time. My Dr. warned me to use it again because it would be worser and worser.)

I have clients who had an allergy to acrylic and resin-systems. I have had very good luck with Angel Love (polycrylic) for them. I have used it for 3 years and have never gotten clients with allergy.

(PS. I am a Norwegian tech, and my English is not perfect at all...:))

Best regards
Cec.

hey your english is better than mine. xxx

Latest posts

Back