Clients that feel it's OK to come to your home to book appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

I am a mobile beautician and NEVER work from home, I have moved house 3 times in the last 2 years and everywhere I have lived I always have people turn up at my house who live near by asking for appointments, majority of the time asking for NOW appointments.

When I lived at my first house it was always the same woman, she'd see my van pull up on the drive and she'd be over within seconds to ask me to go over and do a pedicure, i'd usually be on my lunch break/ popping in to pick something up/ finshing work and had plans so the answer would always be 'no, but please text me when you would like an appointment' but still she'd always do it. Then we moved to the second house and people would walk over and ask to book appointments and i would always try and politely hint that text/ phone call/ email would be more appropriate but still it went on, it got to the stage where my mum was telling people i was out but it's not really fair on my family to have to put up with people turning up here and there.

Well we have finally moved to our long term house and it is quite rural so I thought all my problems would be over, but the other day I was fully booked and out all day, back to back clients so no break until late evening, I had 3 missed calls from the same woman (a new client who i have never met and requested a leaflet after seeing my van) and an answer phone message asking me to ring her back (it was a house number so couldn't text to quickly explain), when I got in my mum said this lady had been over to find out why I hadn't returned her call and she needed an appointment the following day, my mum had explained i'd been out all day and obviously can't take phone calls when i'm in with clients but I would ring her when I got in (my answer phone message even says that i am with a client and unable to answer calls). Which I did and because of such late notice and christmas bookings i was unable to do it so she will be ringing again another time. but my question is how would you deal with this? i find it quite rude when people come to my house, like it's invading my personal private time. How can i politely say don't come to my home??? am i just being abit touchy? Thank you in advance geeks :Love:

I had this when I worked from home. People would knock on my door to make an appointment, and I would be with a client. I think people feel that because THEY don't come to you, you're not busy. In my case, they probably thought i was sitting in putting a casserole on, doing a bit of hoovering, and they save the day by becoming a client. In your case, they probably think you're doing a bit of shopping, having lunch with a mate, and at last, you're home, and they can book an appointment!!! I don't know what the answer is - I now have a room in the golf club with a sign on the door saying "Please don't knock on this door". People knock on the door and then read the sign - too late, the damage is done!!! Could you maybe suggest that you ONLY take bookings via phone/text? I now tell clients that if they need an appointment urgently, text me with what they want, then I can look and get back to them. Apart from a six foot fence, vicious dogs and a sign saying F*** off, there's not a lot you can do. Sorry, after all that, not much help lol. Good luck, and Happy Christmas x

Some people!

How about you have a leaflet box hanging by your front door. I see lots of estate agents etc do that so they can take a leaflet and go.

Sorry, just realised that you don't actually work from home and that you're mobile, so my comments below aren't relevant (sorry), but they might be useful for anyone working from home so I'll leave them there.

As for you you and your problem, you have to be assertive and have a little speech ready to say that you only take bookings by phone/Facebook/email etc.

My thoughts for home salons with the same problem:-

I would have a friendly voicemail saying something like 'I work on an appointment only basis and I can't interrupt a clients treatment to answer the phone or the door, so please a message and I will call you when I get a break. Thanks for understanding.'

If you live in a rural area, I would even get a little country chalkboard/notice board that you can hang on the front door saying the same, on days that you're working. Put Sshhhh! I would never interrupt yours and anyone else's treatment to answer the door or phone, so please call/text 0779……. and I'll get back to you later. Thanks.'

Make it clear on your website too.

If they ignore you, let them take it out on the knocker. So ignorant it makes me angry! x

Last edited:
thank you geeks, i'm glad you both agree and i'm not just being picky. I think i'm just going to have to put in further detail on my website and leaflet that i only except appointments by phone/text or email. i'm going to spend christmas thinking of a way to say 'please don't come to my house!' but a little politer... haha :lol: i may even get a chalk board or sign made like you both said saying 'private property, no cold callers, if your visit is about *my business* please call *my number* or email *my email address*' and put it on my gates :D

I have been working from home since may ,i have a two big signs on my shed say call for appointments but still get the odd person knocking on the door when im not working ,i also have a sandwich board I put out saying open please knock so its ok when that is out ,if someone does knock when im not working and am able to answer I tell them yes you can make an appointment but in the further call me as this is mine and my partner home and private space when im not working ,i will ignore it if want to ,ie when im still in my pj's etc :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I have been working from home since may ,i have a two big signs on my shed say call for appointments but still get the odd person knocking on the door when im not working ,i also have a sandwich board I put out saying open please knock so its ok when that is out ,if someone does knock when im not working and am able to answer I tell them yes you can make an appointment but in the further call me as this is mine and my partner home and private space when im not working ,i will ignore it if want to ,ie when im still in my pj's etc :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

i'd love to be able to say that but i think i'm one of those people that things just come out naturally rude and i'd proberly offend someone and theyd never ever come back :lol: i have had people come round before when i am in my pjs and theyre just like 'oh dont worry, you are in the comfort of your own home..' and i'm like... yes, comfort of MY HOME!!!!

I do think it's rude...I don't have much advice because I really wouldn't know how to handle it but I wanted you to know that you're not wrong in feeling like your privacy is being invaded.. Such a tricky spot you're in too because you don't want to make them upset but you also want your privacy back. arg! Hang in there hun.

I get really annoyed about all those cold calls from market research companies or door to door sales but if its a client, even if it really annoys me at the time, I will always be extremely friendly and as accommodating as possible.
I tend to think that we are lucky to have the work and the nicer you are, the better your reputation.
Doesn't mean it wouldn't annoy the hell out of me though!..lol
Anyway, hopefully nobody will bother any of us tomorrow.
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

It seems that the problem is you don't want to appear rude. If being polite & hinting isn't working, then be more open & blunt. Often with people who do things we think are 'rude', we can be more blunt because chances are they don't notice subtleties. I know therapists who are more firm & think well, as long as you're not in the wrong you're not harming anyone! Don't worry about being firm with people about your working conditions. Eg if I had a lady asking why I hadn't called her back all day I'd say because my diary is fully booked & I get messages at the end if the day, NOT 'Sorry, my diary is fully booked' etc. With people like that I tend to over apologise but by saying the same thing firmly, they soon learn that you're not sitting round for them to call, plus you appear busier therefore they understand to book in advance. All of this is said & done with a smile, politely.

I think you need to stop worrying about upsetting people & they'll soon learn you're, firm not a pushover Xx

thank you so much geeks, i was worrying abit that everyone gets this and its normal and i was just being abit picky but its lovely to know you all feel the same and no one has said 'but this is part of the job!'. I have decided i am getting a sign because then i can cowardly hide inside without having any confrontations! hahahaha :lol: have a lovely christmas geeks and luckily our village is flooded so cant imagin anyone would brave the conditions to come and hassle me about appointments :lol:

thank you so much geeks, i was worrying abit that everyone gets this and its normal and i was just being abit picky but its lovely to know you all feel the same and no one has said 'but this is part of the job!'. I have decided i am getting a sign because then i can cowardly hide inside without having any confrontations! hahahaha :lol: have a lovely christmas geeks and luckily our village is flooded so cant imagin anyone would brave the conditions to come and hassle me about appointments :lol:

Have a plaque made that can be cable tied to a gate or wall OUTSIDE your property, don't even give them the opportunity to come
In your
Garden, and if you can, get a tall gate with a front door style lock or numeric keypad lock on it, I know an elderly lady with a front door lock on her gate and a man who converted a shop into a house with a numeric pad because he was sick of people expecting his home to still be a shop because "its always been a shop before".

Try altering your voice mail to state your busy, will call back and you only take appointments by phone only only only end of sentence, full stop!!!!!!!
Maybe a bit nicer though :p
Have a great crimbo without anyone wanting to book in xoxo

i live in the countryside and i get it on my days off. Im open 6 days a week and open till very late and even on my day off or a planned hoilday i get people ringing up my house or enquire why im not in! last year i came back from xmas hols 2 days xmas and boxing day to get tons of msgs from one new client who insisted to know why i was not open....she wasnt a loon. Anyhoo i simply was very sarcastic and said "however sorry i was that i was unable to call her back due to it being christmas and all (!)"...she got the point eventually...

Just be direct and to the point. xoxo

Latest posts

Back