Hair salon at home in existing room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCB

Reaction score
Hi everyone

After some advice please regards setting up from home as a part time hairdresser.

We are currently purchasing a house, and my intention is work from home as a hairdresser now the kids are going to school on a part time basis. Probably max 3-4 clients in a day, and not every day.

The house already has the very rear part of the garage changed to a utility room with sink, and my intention would be to do it in there, whilst keeping it as a working utility room with our washing machine and dryer in there. Basically just need to put a mirror up and chair in there.

I called the council and spoke to the business licensing department, they were really helpful and basically said so long as you are not doing body piercing or skin treatments (which I wouldn’t be), then we don’t need any official paperwork or license and we are ok to do this.

She said the only issue that could ever arise would be if neighbours complain of traffic increase and noise, at which point you might have to go full planning.

Our mortgage terms state that you only need to notify them for change of use on the property (e.g to commercial), which wouldn’t be happening, so I am assuming we are ok on that front as well?

Has anyone ever had much experience with this or can offer any advice. I guess we move in and become super close with the immediate neighbours to ensure no complaints!

Latest posts

Back