Clients that keep letting you down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammykins80

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What do you all do when you keep getting clients cancelling at the last minute?

Had a lady booked in today for a 1 1/2hr facial and a back neck and shoulder massage and has text me an hour before the treatment to say she has a cold.
She did turn up for her appointment for waxing previously but cancelled her appointment the time before that. Also a couple of members of the same family have done this too.

I have been working for myself for aout a year and obviously trying to build up my business which is hard, so I don't want to lose clients but on the other hand feel a bit taken for granted. :irked:

Don't think they realise that if they don't turn up I don't get paid! :cry:

Any input appreciated,
Thanks Sammy x

I would insist next time on deposit of 50% non refundable, and explain this to your client. I have a similar client, and I am now going to ask her to pay upfront as I can not run risk of happening again. HTH xxx

People seem to be worse during a recession, they have the upper hand and we have to keep on smiling.

One lady said she cancelled her beautician appointment and explained it to me, saying she thought the girl could use the break :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies geeks x

Yes at the moment I find I am gritting my teeth and smiling as I don't want to and can't really afford to lose any clients, so yes they do have the upper hand. But it's really frustrating. I'm sure they wouldn't like it they went into work one day and their boss said we don't need you all day today, so go home and we will take it out of your wages!

i just wondered if anyone had some diplomatic ideas to use so that I can retain them as a client but make them realise they are messing me around, but in a nice way???

xxx

I am a student in Esthetics, everyone who has asked me to do something for them they have come except 1!!! My bfs friends gf calls me about once or twice a month to do her nails ( they are free ). Everytime she either doesnt show up, sends me a text or a facebook message that sorry she couldnt make it, or calls less than an hour before. Her last apt was on my BDAY she stood me up. I told my bf that he can tell his freind that im no longer interested in setting up for her for nothing, that she can go somewhere else. Its very frustrating so instead of keep taking it since I cant charge I cannot insist on the 50% payment Im just going to refuse from now on. I have other things todo then get stood up 7 times in 4 months. I understand that it is a part of the career, its a chance to take. I know it may sound mean but if she cannot respect me, Im not going to bend over backwards for her.
Meille:rolleyes:

I am a student in Esthetics, everyone who has asked me to do something for them they have come except 1!!! My bfs friends gf calls me about once or twice a month to do her nails ( they are free ). Everytime she either doesnt show up, sends me a text or a facebook message that sorry she couldnt make it, or calls less than an hour before. Her last apt was on my BDAY she stood me up. I told my bf that he can tell his freind that im no longer interested in setting up for her for nothing, that she can go somewhere else. Its very frustrating so instead of keep taking it since I cant charge I cannot insist on the 50% payment Im just going to refuse from now on. I have other things todo then get stood up 7 times in 4 months. I understand that it is a part of the career, its a chance to take. I know it may sound mean but if she cannot respect me, Im not going to bend over backwards for her.
Meille:rolleyes:

God, you should have got rid of her a long time ago. She thinks you have nothing better to do then give free treatments and wait around.

She isnt really an existing client if she doesnt turn up! I wouldnt accept any more bookings from her and explain that its because she constantly cancells.

I have out of 60 - 70 clients and out of those only 1 hasnt shown, she rebooked then didnt turn up and I just left it at that.

I dont really want to go down the 50% up front method but would offer that option for a persistant offender.

If it keeps happening I would give them a taste of their own medicine. Childish I know, but it would teach them a lesson.

Book the offending client in, then when the time comes and only IF you are getting fully booked on that day and someone else wants an appointment, give it to them instead. Think of it as being like an insurance policy, or hedging your bets. After all you have to make a living.
Rub the one out who keeps cancelling, and just book in the new client. You then have at least a 50% chance the original offender will cancel at the last minute, but if she does turn up for her appointment you can smile sweetly but apologetically, and say you're sorry you don't seem to have her booked in, you must have made an unfortunate mistake with the booking.

It would make me feel better anyway. Selfish, I know, but they're being selfish constantly letting you down at the last minute.

And yes, I have done this myself to an unreliable client and felt better for it, although I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I always told the offending client that I was fully booked, but would call them if I got a cancellation. If no-one else booked for that time/day then I would phone the offending client and offer it to them.
If they don't show, you've lost nothing coz you had no-one anyway, but at least you didn't turn away someone that would have come.
The offending client was delighted that you phoned and could fit her in (when you were so busy) and you laugh up your sleeve!

I always told the offending client that I was fully booked, but would call them if I got a cancellation. If no-one else booked for that time/day then I would phone the offending client and offer it to them.
If they don't show, you've lost nothing coz you had no-one anyway, but at least you didn't turn away someone that would have come.
The offending client was delighted that you phoned and could fit her in (when you were so busy) and you laugh up your sleeve!
Fantastic idea!
will try that one myself next time someone totally unreliable calls . . . :lol:

Latest posts

Back