CND lamp & UV/LED lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielleCaprice

Reaction score
Hello geeks, in currently changing from Gelish to CND shellac but as ii already no the CND lamp is recommended for curing shellac but just wondering if my uv/led lamp would be ok As it's like new & don't want it to be stored away & not being used
Thanks in advance xx

I think you probably picked the worst time ever to be changing to Shellac. They've always banged on about not using another system's lamp as it won't cure properly so I wouldn't risk it on clients. Stick to Gelish for now until they've sorted their lamp problem out.

No, unfortunately Shellac is only designed to cure with the CND lamp. It has a lower number of photo-initiators than many other gel polishes and the CND lamp has been specially designed (wavelength/output/bulb positioning).

Over the years there has been a fair few of threads on here of people reporting problems including service failure or breakdown and even developing allergies with the tech using the wrong lamp. Added to that it is categorically against the manufactorer's instructions so any problems will not be covered by your insurance.

Sorry, it is a difficult situation at the moment with their being no lamps available in the UK at the moment, but at least you have another product that you can continue to use on your clients for now.

The current information from S2 is that lamps are due to arrive 'in a few weeks'

What's making you change from Gelish to shellac if you don't mind me asking??

I'm just wanting to try another brand as I'm now trained in CND L&P so fancied trying shellac

I spoke to S2 this morning and they told me lamps were due in the end of this month, fingers crossed xx

Does anyone know when the long talked about CND LED lamp will arrive?

I spoke to S2 this morning and they told me lamps were due in the end of this month, fingers crossed xx

I spoke to them yesterday & was told a few weeks....they need to get their info correct & tell everyone the same thing.
I dont think they know when they are arriving tbh !!

I've just invested in a harmony gelish 18g lamp as it speeds up the whole process when i do use harmony gelish polish as opposed to my cnd uv lamp ( especially when I am doing my own nails as I am so impatient waiting!bit gutted now as wish I had waited for the cnd lamp. My understanding was that shellac wasn't led curable so how will bringing an led out help? Will it then only be able to be cured by the cnd led lamp? All a bit confusing!!!

The way I understand it LED is just the type of bulb that transmits the UV light. Still UV light so still cures.

Put shellac under the Gelish LED lamp and it cures - but apparently not properly as not set up at the correct strength, distance etc.

The way I understand it LED is just the type of bulb that transmits the UV light. Still UV light so still cures.

Put shellac under the Gelish LED lamp and it cures - but apparently not properly as not set up at the correct strength, distance etc.

I'm a bit dubious about all this so called shellac not curing with other lamps. I know 2 nail techs who have used Shellac with other lamps for years with their clients and have never had a problem. Maybe they're just lucky? But if they're not just lucky and it does actually work, CND have shot themselves in the foot by telling everyone it doesn't as there are a lot of techs at the moment completely fed up due to the increase of the "smoking faulty batch" of broken CND lamps who want to now change brands. Maybe CND just want to make sure the shellac users buy their over inflated priced lamps?

Anyway, who am I to know? I have no experience with Shellac. I don't make their lamps.

Just saying.

Please don't respond with the scientific blurbs from Doug Shoon and the science behind the lamps and other extracts. I've read them.

One of my clients is a leading professor of biology (dont know exact title) at a university and I won't tell you what she said about the science behind "shrinking violet" wraps but you can hazard a guess.

Latest posts

Back