Colour consultation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I had a consultation with a hairdresser in my usual salon this evening and would like to know if her advice is good. I have used this salon many times before and always found them good. They have all the up-to-date products, they do 12 week blowdry etc and also use the new INOA tints :)

Some background:
My hair used to be bleached blonde (self-done, patchy and horrible, big mistake) and about 1 year ago I had it done dark. The colour faded a lot at first so kept having to be re-done so there is probably some build-up there.
So I have been growing my hair since, the top part of my hair (about 6 inches) is my virgin natural colour and the rest is the old dyed hair.
I have noticed that the dyed part has faded over time so it is lighter and redder than my virgin natural colour.
I need the ends re-coloured to match the crown for 2 reasons:

1. It looks bad being different colours, and will be much shinier after being dyed professionally- I want to try the new INOA colours :)
2. I am looking to get a full head of micro link extensions and would like my natural hair to be shiny and evenly-coloured first.

So I went to the salon for a consultation this evening to see if the faded ends could be made darker to match the colour on the crown. The hairdresser said that if she puts a tint in, there will still be a colour difference- the hair will just be darker overall. She said the best thing to do is tint it and then trim off the worst faded parts, and to then let it grow and keep trimming off the lightest ends as it grows.

Is this good advice?
I know that it needs a trim but not as a solution to the colour- I was hoping she could just treat the ends differently- maybe use a darker colour there than on the virgin colour, or else maybe just let the colour on the ends develop longer so that it turns out darker?
I didn't want to say too much to her because I didn't want her to feel like I was telling her how to do her job- so I was hoping I could verify her advice with you all. Basically- should the faded ends be cut off or can the colour be applied in such a way that this won't be necessary.
The appointment is on Saturday so if anyone thinks there could be a better way of going about this, maybe I could address my concerns with the hairdresser then.

Here are some photos of my hair so you can see what I am talking about:

Natural colour on top

dscf6428d.jpg

Colour difference between virgin crown and dyed ends:

dscf6433x.jpg

dscf6448q.jpg

I just want to stress that I am not looking for advice on how to fix this at home- it is being done professionally by my usual salon- The appointment is on Saturday morning. I am simply looking for some second opinions on what the hairdresser has told me.
I know some people may suggest I just go to another salon and see what they say, but I have always been happy with this salon before and like to stick with one salon.

Thank you :)

Your hairdresser is giving you spot on advice. 100%.

I'm not a hairdresser but just wanted to say I like your nails :D x

Your hairdresser is giving you spot on advice. 100%.

Thanks Persianista.
All I am terrified of is that my natural colour on top will end up black! (black is awful on me).
If the tint she uses is the exact same colour as my natural colour, it should stay the same, shouldn't it? And only the lighter ends will get darker?

I'm not a hairdresser but just wanted to say I like your nails :D x

Haha thank you, I'm a former biting addict (20 odd years... it wore down my teeth!). Daily polishing keeps me on the straight and narrow :)

Latest posts

Back