Koleston Perfect advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel80

Reaction score
I would first like to point out that I am not a hair professional in any way. I have 3 disabled people to look after so I dyed my hair following my hairdresser’s recommendation to cut household costs.

My natural hair is around a level 7 and I am growing out a half head of highlights my hair is naturally very ashy. I wanted a dye to cover 25% grey. My hairdresser recommended koleston perfect 8/07 as the warmth was to stop the ends going khaki, with a 20 vol developer.

The colour is darker than I expected and the roots are really copper which I hate! So I have a few questions.

I’d rather have khaki ends than ginger roots as I wear my hair up most of the time, am I right in saying if I put a 8/01 on top it would remove the copper tone?

Also as I mentioned the colour came out darker than I expected so instead of going for a level 8 could I go a level 9? If so what shade and developer would you recommend and how long should I leave it until I can dye again. My hair is in fair condition but quite dry at the ends.

Attachments

• C2118726-C65C-468A-8F80-B3C065054C70.jpeg
    C2118726-C65C-468A-8F80-B3C065054C70.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I would first like to point out that I am not a hair professional in any way. I have 3 disabled people to look after so I dyed my hair following my hairdresser’s recommendation to cut household costs.

My natural hair is around a level 7 and I am growing out a half head of highlights my hair is naturally very ashy. I wanted a dye to cover 25% grey. My hairdresser recommended koleston perfect 8/07 as the warmth was to stop the ends going khaki, with a 20 vol developer.

The colour is darker than I expected and the roots are really copper which I hate! So I have a few questions.

I’d rather have khaki ends than ginger roots as I wear my hair up most of the time, am I right in saying if I put a 8/01 on top it would remove the copper tone?

Also as I mentioned the colour came out darker than I expected so instead of going for a level 8 could I go a level 9? If so what shade and developer would you recommend and how long should I leave it until I can dye again. My hair is in fair condition but quite dry at the ends.
That looks tasty be a good representation of 8/07. 8/01 will cool it down, but adding tint to tint you always run the risk of it going darker.
The problem with using a level 9 shade is that the coop tones (i.e. 9/01) wouldn't be strong enough to counteract the warmth in a 8/07.
Alo tint doesn't lift tint. So at most you'd get lift on th Very root close to the scalp and maybe lift on the ends where the old highlights are but that middle area wouldn't budge.

What would be your ideal shade?

What would be your ideal shade?
My ideal would probably be a level 9.
I’ve been looking a toners for my hair such as wella colour charm and wella shinefinitey but I haven’t got a clue and don’t want to make it worse, I’m going out on Saturday lol. What would happen if I coloured over it with an 801 with 30 developer? Would that stop it going darker?

My ideal would probably be a level 9.
I’ve been looking a toners for my hair such as wella colour charm and wella shinefinitey but I haven’t got a clue and don’t want to make it worse, I’m going out on Saturday lol. What would happen if I coloured over it with an 801 with 30 developer? Would that stop it going darker?
A toner can only correct tones on the same level or darker.
If I was going to chance it I'd try 9/81 + 10/0(10/0 in Kolesten perfect is the only tint that technically has the ability to lift tint) Equal amounts with 6% apply to mid length and ends first, avoiding the first 1cm of hair closest to the scalp. Then on those areas I'd use just the 9/81 with 4%.

The alternative would be to apply 10/0 + 12% all over to lift it a bit and then tone it all afterwards with colour touch 8/38 + 9/16 + 1.9%

If I was going to chance it I'd try 9/81 + 10/0(10/0 in Kolesten perfect is the only tint that technically has the ability to lift tint) Equal amounts with 6% apply to mid length and ends first, avoiding the first 1cm of hair closest to the scalp. Then on those areas I'd use just the 9/81 with 4%.

The alternative would be to apply 10/0 + 12% all over to lift it a bit and then tone it all afterwards with colour touch 8/38 + 9/16 + 1.9%
Thank you. I’ll have a think about that for a few months time. Right now I’m good with my level but not the warmth so I’ll add an 8/01 on so I’m good for Saturday and then see where I go from there. Hopefully I don’t go too much darker.

When I come to dye my hair again I’ll probably use an 8/1 would you recommend using Welloxon 13 vol 4% developer so it doesn’t lighten it up too much again? It does say to use 20 vol but I’m worried it’ll go orange again lol

When I come to dye my hair again I’ll probably use an 8/1 would you recommend using Welloxon 13 vol 4% developer so it doesn’t lighten it up too much again? It does say to use 20 vol but I’m worried it’ll go orange again lol
4% will leave you with less warmth for sure

An 8/01 could help neutralize the copper.

However, it might not completely remove it, especially considering the 20 vol developer used initially. This could give a muddy or green tint if not done correctly.

Going a level 9 is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it at home immediately. The 20 vol developer already stressed your hair, and further bleaching could do some damage and breakage.

Until you find a solid solution, maybe try using a color-depositing conditioner with ashy tones to temporarily camouflage the copper and add shine.

However, it might not completely remove it, especially considering the 20 vol developer used initially. This could give a muddy or green tint if not done correctly.

Going a level 9 is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it at home immediately. The 20 vol developer already stressed your hair, and further bleaching could do some damage and breakage.

Until you find a solid solution, maybe try using a color-depositing conditioner with ashy tones to temporarily camouflage the copper and add shine.
How long should I wait? And how would I achieve a level 9 with Koleston perfect?

Please tell what I can do at home I'm trying to cover my greys I have a levell 7 natural I just want my hair to be ash blond could you please give me a color I can do at home to cover the greys to get a ash blond please thanks you so much

I just can't live with my hair I hate red help me what color can I do all over to make it ash please help me so should I use a 8/01 20 developer what color will it turn

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 0
I just can't live with my hair I hate red help me what color can I do all over to make it ash please help me so should I use a 8/01 20 developer what color will it turn
Wella illumina 8/1 would be a good choice. Because it has a violet undertone. So helps neutralise warmth anyway.

Latest posts

Back