Colour Correction advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrismouse

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I have client (base 6) that has half-head foils (with bleach) & an 8,3 Majirel colour in-between.

She asked last time if we could 'ditch the foils' & just have an all over 9,3. I though yeah, no problem as she wanted to move away from bleach anyway.

I applied 9,3 to the roots with 30 vol & then watered down & applied to mid-lengths & ends for last 15 mins. As i was checking them I could see (even after an extra 15 mins) the roots & mid lengths weren't matching.

I rinsed off & dried the hair & there was a 2 shade difference (roots being darker).

What did I do wrong???

The mid lengths & ends are extremely light as she has just spent 2 weeks on a very hot greek holiday but I thought the diluted colour would still bring her hair down a couple of shades to match the new 9,3 roots.

I am seeing her again on wednesday to correct it but I'm terrified I will make it worse.

It looks too warm on reflection & I was thinking of re-applying a Majirel 9 to the roots with 20 vol & applying richesse 9 to the mid length & ends.

Any advice would be AMAZINGLY appreciated!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Darren.

Hi Y'all,

I have client (base 6) that has half-head foils (with bleach) & an 8,3 Majirel colour in-between.

She asked last time if we could 'ditch the foils' & just have an all over 9,3. I though yeah, no problem as she wanted to move away from bleach anyway.

I applied 9,3 to the roots with 30 vol & then watered down & applied to mid-lengths & ends for last 15 mins. As i was checking them I could see (even after an extra 15 mins) the roots & mid lengths weren't matching.

I rinsed off & dried the hair & there was a 2 shade difference (roots being darker).

What did I do wrong???

The mid lengths & ends are extremely light as she has just spent 2 weeks on a very hot greek holiday but I thought the diluted colour would still bring her hair down a couple of shades to match the new 9,3 roots.

I am seeing her again on wednesday to correct it but I'm terrified I will make it worse.

It looks too warm on reflection & I was thinking of re-applying a Majirel 9 to the roots with 20 vol & applying richesse 9 to the mid length & ends.

Any advice would be AMAZINGLY appreciated!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Darren.

If the ends were really light and porous then i would say go for a quasi! L'oreal permanents aren't very good at covering porous hair as they use 20 vol for darkening which technically lifts before it colours, therefore making the hair even lighter and more porous!

I wouldn't worry about the roots unless they aren't the colour you were aiming for, but definately give diacolour a go, if not to use solely, then to precolour :)

Having just read through your post again, i would have said, watering down 30 vol would never have worked, it'd have probably produced a much better result had you mixed up a separate bowl of 9+9,3 and 20 vol but even that wouldn't have lasted very long.

Loreal use 10 vol for darkening and grey coverage! So use 10 not watered-down 30 with your colour on the ends and you should get an even colour! Colour is a joy to do and relatively stress free if your familiar with your range.

Thanks for your help. It makes a lot of sense.

Her roots are a tad warm but are light enough. I want to take her back to probably an 8 all over so would it be ok to just use Richesse Diacolour globally?

thanks

Loreal use 10 vol for darkening and grey coverage! So use 10 not watered-down 30 with your colour on the ends and you should get an even colour! Colour is a joy to do and relatively stress free if your familiar with your range.

I never realised l'oreal used 10 vol for darkening? learn something new ever day! when i was in the salon, my technician always said to use 20 vol lol and so do the manufacturers instructions in the majirel boxes :/ strange!
im glad i can use 10 vol with loreal now =D

Thanks for your help. It makes a lot of sense.

Her roots are a tad warm but are light enough. I want to take her back to probably an 8 all over so would it be ok to just use Richesse Diacolour globally?

thanks

Yeah id say so, she'll get less off a band as it grows out too, but as it's not permanent it could fade quick that your client would like, so you'll just have to trial it and see how he feels! she'll get much healthier, shinier hair with a Quasi :)

Ohh yes 10 is used for darkening and superior grey coverage so 80% and more normally, check out old posts there is a whole thread on 3% and it's use, go back about 3 pages and you should find it. Matrix works quite similar to loreal aswell I use 10vol quite a lot.

Ohh yes 10 is used for darkening and superior grey coverage so 80% and more normally, check out old posts there is a whole thread on 3% and it's use, go back about 3 pages and you should find it. Matrix works quite similar to loreal aswell I use 10vol quite a lot.

oh okay i'll have a look, thanks!
i use affinage and they always say 3% for darkening and grey coverage which is one of the main reason i went with them!

Latest posts

Back