Confidence problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolled up

Reaction score
Hi Geeks (; its took alot for me to write this! let me start with abit of my background (sorry for the essay) . I am level 3 trained and my 3 years at college ended in 2011. Tried my hardest to get a job in a salon when i was fresh out of college but no luck ): i couldnt even get a non pay work experience placement whilst at college! (trust me to start a career as soon as the resession grips the country!)

I had been doing friends and family since i was a newbie in this industry and they helped me out loads being my models :) but after completing level 3 and no chance of a job unless i had 4 years of salon experience, i half gave up on the idea of following my dream (kind of easy when no one will give you a chance) but continued doing friends and family as i really enjoy doing hair. Me and my fiancè wanted to start saving for a mortgage but with my chip shop wage i wasnt going to be able to save 10p let alone £10k so i started looking for non industry jobs but no suck luck there either ): so this feb, while i was sat on my arse on the sofa looking at people on facebook promoting their home salons i thought why the hell am i just sat here doing nothing (i work evenings) when ive got qualifications and i can work for myself?! so i signed up on SG after being a lurker for a few years and researched loads into what extension suppliers to use, what insurance company etc... And decided i was going to start my home salon :D But when it came to reading threads about chemical work i was suprised to see how much i HADNT learnt at college! Never had i been taught to use 3% for lifting, never seen a mix tone, barely been taught to use toners etc and ive learnt most of this on here! I feel let down by my college & its nocked my confidence ): i tend to ask questions on here just for reassurance as i know deep down i know the answer but i just want to make sure i am getting it right.

I really want to do some colour courses when i have the funds available as now i have a mortgage im abit strapped for cash ): but have been told by a geek on here that the course for the colour brand that i use is crap :/ i really want to be the best i can and hopefully i will get there! Im not giving up :) so my questions are- are there any free websites out there that concentrate on colour techniques, foil placement etc? I have heard of myhairdressers but havent got enough spare cash for the membership fees ): and also, if anyone has got any diagrams of different foil placement techniques that they could send me please? At college we were only taught the bog standard horizontal way and i want to start practicing other methods on my poor blocks that ive got lying around somewhere (;

Sorry for my long rant/moan/rambling aha! Thanks in advance:) Xx

I really broke my heart reading how discouraged you have felt.
Please don't feel bad in anyway, this job is a constant learning curve and there are people who have been doing it for 20 odd years and still don't know everything.
Everyone needs a little reassurance now and again.
I've been doing this 7 years and there are still times I don't feel fully confident or have a brain freeze moment and have to ask for help.
Never ever give up on your dreams, you can be the very best you can be just by using your initiative like you have already done :)
I'm still quite new to this site but have found it so helpful it really has been a god send to me. And I'm sure whatever you may need there will always be a geek on hand to help xx

No hairdresser knows everything, even me! So relax a bit and stop beating yourself up.

How wide did you cast your net for work experience? I had to go a bloody long way to get mine, but it was my foot in the door.

My salons only give unpaid work experience to people who REALLY want it. You have to look the part, be comitted and keen, and eager to fit into the salon.

Whether a course is good or not can be down to the individual, the trainer or the school. Just because it didnt meet one persons expectation doesnt mean it wont meet another's.

Don't get beaten down, non of us are at the top of our game and never will be. Nicky Clarke, tabatha Coffey, Vidal Sassoon etc are just good, they aren't the be all and end all as no hairdresser will be. I would look for a colour line that has regular education if you feel you are in need of lessons. Look on Alan Howard for when these course's are.

Chick, pop over this week, I can dig some stuff out for you, anf you know your always welcome to pop over for a few hours and ask questions etc :) x

Hiya sorry you feel like this , i found although you learn a lot at college the real learning starts after and the learning never stops ! I am starting out mobile and this site is really really helpful and everyone is here to help.
nobody knows everything and if they do id love to meet them ! (even tho i find there seems to be nothing bluerinse dont know he is like the hair guru lol )
also as i said i am starting mobile and i know how you feel sort of disheartened ?
i put a post on here saying how i felt disheartened about not getting many clients but it does take time you just got to stay positive !
and as for the saving for deposit again know how you feel i think most people are skint at the mo im stuck in rented ( rip off ).
but i am working as a care worker and not my ideal job but need to keep at it untill i am busy enough with mobile work .
But if you need advice / help this site is gr8 !
sorry to go on i do talk too much apparantly xx:hug:

I agree with all of the above, we all have times when we feel a bit deflated but it sound like you are keen and willing so keep on at it & good luck finding a course!xxx
Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Thank you everyone for your replies! Made me feel much better about myself :)

In regards to never knowing everything and always learning- i just feel as i did level 3 i should of know how to use toners properly (never knew you could use just base & mix tone) or mix tones etc and have learnt all that from here :) i dont feel as much of a profesional as others on here as i feel i have only basic knowledge! I think im hard on myself as i have never had much salon experience and i read on here quite abit that it is essensial.

@persianista - i did local salons first (didnt drive at the time) and then went onto salons in different areas and one salon owner even said to me 'there is no point in you being here as its so quiet'. The bigger salons didnt want to know! I managed to get a placement short notice (friend of a friend of a friend...) and as it turned out my mom knew the owner from years ago. Did my week their just cleaning and blowdrys untill he found out i was qualified in spray tanning. He said he was going to give me a job fri&sat so i told my boss at my non industry job to cut my hours down. Did 1 day at the salon and the owner got me to show the beauty therapist how to spray tan (she was going on a course and wanted abit of practice beforehand) sacked (let me go) me the week after and i found out that he only used me for my spray tanning skills & lied to me about the BT going on a course. Never felt so used! And it messed up my other job Grrrrrr. The colour course is not expensive so i think im just gonna go for it. If it turns out crap then never mind at least i went :)

@bluerinse - thank you! Will speak soon when im not so busy with crap haha :) xx

@lydia c- someone one said to me when i was learning to drive 'you only really start learning once youve passed your test) and this is so true and relates to college too!

Once again thanks geeks! :) xxx

Latest posts

Back