confidence - sussed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogaloo

Reaction score
Well I have been trying really hard to build my confidence and I have sussed it I think (well I hope).....

I have been doing nails since November and have not had a great deal of practice, but when I am looking at my nails I am comparing them to Amanda Fontanarrosa, Gigi's and GMG's. Well I am not saying that it is bad to aim your standards high, but maybe I have been a little unfair on myself to aim that high at this moment in time...

What do you think?? Should you aim for the highest standard straight away or should you be happy to just get a fairly good set with no or little lifting??

Boogaloo said:
Well I have been trying really hard to build my confidence and I have sussed it I think (well I hope).....

I have been doing nails since November and have not had a great deal of practice, but when I am looking at my nails I am comparing them to Amanda Fontanarrosa, Gigi's and GMG's. Well I am not saying that it is bad to aim your standards high, but maybe I have been a little unfair on myself to aim that high at this moment in time...

What do you think?? Should you aim for the highest standard straight away or should you be happy to just get a fairly good set with no or little lifting??
Hi Lisa, I think you should definitely aim for the highest standard straight away, then you have always got something to aim for otherwise you would be settling for second best and doing second rate nails. There will come a point where it will all of a sudden click and you will have a turning point as a nail technician, it clicked for me when I was looking at the "Hero Poster" from CND. It made me realise that I was enhancing the natural nail and not just applying nail enhancements.
David

Hi Lisa,

I agree with David, great advice. I always compare my nails to Gigi's, GMG's etc etc as I feel why should I settle for what for I do now, why not aim for that high standard. I am never satisfied with the nails I do, I always think to myself "I can do a hell of alot better than that". Then when I'm in the car on my way to my next appoinment I retrace my application steps in my head and know where I went wrong because of the high standard I am trying to reach. My clients on the other hand think that I do fantastic nails and start comparing mine to other salons they've been to, but they never know that I'm not entirely satisfied.

I think we all need to strive for that high standard, not beat ourselves up about it but just keep trying in a positive way and always try better the next time around.

xxxx

Boogaloo said:
Should you aim for the highest standard straight away or should you be happy to just get a fairly good set with no or little lifting??

I think it's a little of both :lol:

We all yearn to create that perfect set and we look at the nails created by our idols and turn green with envy :green: Mentioning no names but that Glorsclaws turns me in to a Shrek double everytime I see her nails :lol:

But realistically those people have been creating nails and honing their skills for many years which enables them to produce the kind of work you and I can only dream of achieving at the moment.

Bearing that in mind, I think it's healthy to know what you're aiming for, and keep a clear picture in your head of what you ultimately want to achieve whilst remembering that a good looking set of nails that stay on a client with no lifting is also what our business is about.

I remember reading a post by Gigi a while back and she wrote that she's sometimes not satisfied with the work she's done and thinks it could have been better - to me that it one of the most telling insights I have ever heard and it makes me feel a little less bad about myself.

Chin up mate - confidence comes with knowledge and skill, you'll get there I'm sure :hug:

Trin
xx

Thank you for your support, I think that you are right and should alway's aim to be the best, but I just feel that I am being a little unfair on myself.

It is only unfair on yourself if you are expecting to achieve perfect results every time. That would be unrealistic. Those kind of expectations would be unfair on all of us!!

NO one is perfect! But allot are nearly perfect.

NO true artist is ever satisfied with their work completely -- but they are nearly satisfied.

It is the ones with the 'it'll do' attitude that always seem to be satisfied with the work they produce. Because 2nd rate workers don't know what perfection is and they cannot visualize it so they can never work towards it. There are allot of those around.

Having goals is not being unfair to yourself .... it is pushing yourself onward and to the next level. All true artists do that.

geeg said:
It is only unfair on yourself if you are expecting to achieve perfect results every time. That would be unrealistic. Those kind of expectations would be unfair on all of us!!

NO one is perfect! But allot are nearly perfect.

NO true artist is ever satisfied with their work completely -- but they are nearly satisfied.

It is the ones with the 'it'll do' attitude that always seem to be satisfied with the work they produce. Because 2nd rate workers don't know what perfection is and they cannot visualize it so they can never work towards it. There are allot of those around.

Having goals is not being unfair to yourself .... it is pushing yourself onward and to the next level. All true artists do that.

Thank you for your words, can make some sense now. I am glad that I have that goal just sometimes I get frustrated with myself.

Latest posts

Back