Confused about commission

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch4rli3

Reaction score
I currently work P/T in a Beauty Salon but have recently trained in permanent make up and want to offer this on a separate day to my 3 days a week I do Beauty Treatments.

My manager has said the salon will take 20% of every PMU treatment I do, is this about right? I thought it was a bit much, but we have a botox lady come round every 2 weeks, and apparently the salon takes 20% of what she earns?!

Im also confused as to what I need to do. Would I need to go self employed instead of being Paye which I currently am?

Any help would be greatly received!!

will you be doing the treatment in the salon, who has paid for the training, who is paying for the equipment????? 20% feels about usual for 'general nails and beauty' .
You will also need to register as self employed so that you can pay tax on the money that you make from this.

Hi HUn,
I would say 20% sounds right.
I Botox guy I know pays salons 20% of what he takes.
I agree though on that part you will be classed as self employed.
Best of luck with it all.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: x x x

I have paid for all the training and equipment myself.

I know I need to go self employed but how would that work with being paid for the 3 days a week I do beauty ? I have spoke with my employer about this and she said I didn't need to go self employed!!

I know that I will have to but she thinks she knows it all and won't listen to me!

Realistically I would like to give up Beauty altogether and just concentrate on Permanent make up but at the moment, whilst starting out, I can't drop the Beauty just yet.

Hi Hun,
You can go self employed on the semi permanent make up, and still be paid by an employer for the other 3 days, so on her part you are still employed by her.
All you have to do is keep all wage receipts/slips in order for an accountant, he will then sort it all out at the end of your business year.
It is all quite simple really, just go ahead and work your dream.
Best wishes with your new venture.
x x x :hug: x x x

ahh Thanks Poshfloss!!

I didn't realise I could be self employed and employed as well!!

My bf used to be self employed, so I am going to see the accountant he used next week.

Thanks for your help! x

Latest posts

Back