Costs in setting up hair and beauty salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaisbeauty

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to turn a shop unit into a hair and beauty salon. Only i went to see a hair and beauty business that was for sale and it was up for 40k!! and i thought it probably would be cheaper to start up my own shop.

I can be pricey starting from scratch! But if you start small and gradually build things up then that can save you money! Eg. . . buy a nice, but reasonably cheap nail bar, and if you business takes off, then upgrade it after a while! There is no point in spending 1000's (and believe me, there is such alot of beautiful furnishings for salons, its easy to get carried away!)

I opened 3 years ago, and after about 18 months or so, i realised that it was doing well, so i did a total refurb and now im really happy with it!

Also, dont try and stock everything to start with, find out what products your clients prefer, and then stock up on the favourites!! Do plenty of special offers (but be sure to end them on the date specified).

But most of all, be helpful, polite, pleasent and try to accomadate as many people as possible, people dont necessarily want you to be the best nail tech/stylist in the world, they just want you to be available when they need you most!!

Good luck, and if there is anything i can help you with, then feel free to message me, i know how scary it is to start up!! xxx

Hi,

im due to open up on sat and its cost me arnd £10,000 im leasing the property so most ov that has been spent on doing it up and stock, i agree with the other geek start small and work yr way up hth.
Joanne gd luck:)

Hi, you can spend a fortune kitting a salon out or do something scalable, Do you need to build the beauty rooms or are they already there? Hunt around for nice flooring, you dont need to spend a fortune, a simple tile might work really well instead of expensive wood.(cheap wood looks cheap) The decor can be plain and clean and a couple of nice setees can really set it off or some framed prints- and then when the business allows, invest more in to a refurb. You could also look for a lesser known, newer product range and be able to get displays and better terms for stock.

Thank you very much for your help, will look into doing it.

I did mine for £12,000, but I do have trades in the family & I put my hand into the tiling, flooring (wooden laminate), painting, filling etc. I saved quite a bit by using Ikea, Matalan etc for furniture, towels, pillow cases & mirrors.

I also rent one of my rooms out on my days off to a chiropractor & podiatrist, and having these two regular incomes helped to fund improvements to the decor.

Hi, Just wondering, how do you go about arranging a commercial lease?!?!? I found a very suitable unit, and would love to go for it. Do you pay the years rent, or do you pay it monthly?!?!? Compared to others in the area, its very reasonable.

Also, and this is a bit of a cheeky one, did you save the money, or did you get a business loan??!?!!?!?!

Hi geeks,
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to turn a shop unit into a hair and beauty salon. Only i went to see a hair and beauty business that was for sale and it was up for 40k!! and i thought it probably would be cheaper to start up my own shop.

Difference is you are not buying the property you are buying the business. IE it has a current client base and is making a profit which starts paying back your purchase price straight off the bat. You may be able to do a salon up for around £10k but could take you a year plus to get a fair size clientele up and to start taking profit may even be longer. Get my drift? :) Pro's & Con's of both.

Hi, Just wondering, how do you go about arranging a commercial lease?!?!? I found a very suitable unit, and would love to go for it. Do you pay the years rent, or do you pay it monthly?!?!? Compared to others in the area, its very reasonable.

Also, and this is a bit of a cheeky one, did you save the money, or did you get a business loan??!?!!?!?!

Commercial lease is just like renting. You should pay monthly but normally a deposit and 3 months up front is the norm. Best person to speak to is the estate agent.

You will find it very very very hard to get a loan. It would be a personal loan if any and would need to put a house you own up as collateral. If you don't own your own home you will most likely have to save up.

Ive always bought existing salons, as there's cash flow from day 1.

Setting up a salon isn't just about bathe cost of fitting it, you can fit out a shop for 20k quite nicely, it's the cost of supporting it, advertising it, and your own living costs that add up.
2 out of 3 salons now go bust in their first two years, primarily due to cash flow difficulties.

Latest posts

Back