courses...HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake91

Reaction score
Hiiii,
Im looking to do a nail technician course maybe next year, im just wondering which to do? ive seen on here that people seem to reccomend CND but thats only for a couple of days isnt it? surely that wouldnt provide all the info & teach skills that are needed to become a top quality tech?
im 19 and have a full time job & mortgage to pay so i cant afford to do it RIGHT now but i want to do my research and do it all properly.
what are your thoughts on essential nails courses or should i just go for something at a local college? HELP!

Hiiii,
Im looking to do a nail technician course maybe next year, im just wondering which to do? ive seen on here that people seem to reccomend CND but thats only for a couple of days isnt it? surely that wouldnt provide all the info & teach skills that are needed to become a top quality tech?
im 19 and have a full time job & mortgage to pay so i cant afford to do it RIGHT now but i want to do my research and do it all properly.
what are your thoughts on essential nails courses or should i just go for something at a local college? HELP!

The CND Foundation Course is actually 5 days spread over a number of weeks to enable you to learn your theory, then your application, the practise before you return. It is a Foundation as the name suggests but it does give you all the info and skills to go on and become a great tech. CND offer further courses to develop and progress.

Essential Nails courses are IMO a waste of money - nails is a hands on skill that cannot be effectively taught via a dvd. How are you meant to know what you are doing right or wrong? How do you expect to learn and develop withut a live educator?

College education seems to be really hit and miss, and it's the luck of the draw if you get a decent teacher or not. An NVQ is more basic than the CND Foundation course in terms of skill and knowledge.

IMHO the CND Signature 5 is the best start to your education you could choose. Reputation should count for a lot and there's reasons why it is recommended on this site. If you ring Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060 the girls can post you out some information.

Hth's

Thanks for your advice yvonne. Does the foundation5 cover manicure & pedicure too? And after completing this course (generally speaking) would I be able to go straight to work in a salon?!

Thanks again :)

Thanks for your advice yvonne. Does the foundation5 cover manicure & pedicure too? And after completing this course (generally speaking) would I be able to go straight to work in a salon?!

Thanks again :)

I don't know how much manicure info is covered, it's 6 years since I did mine! You need to speak to Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060 with specific questions.

As far as going straight to a salon job, the Foundation course gives you the skills and the knowledge you need but you will need practice. You do not come off Foundation as a fully-skilled, up-to-speed tech. How you choose to get that practice is up to you - I chose to get 2 or 3 guinea pig clients who wanted to wear nails all the time so I gained experience in on-going maintenance and repairs as well as full sets. I did that for 3 months before unleashing myself on the world!

Nails is not easy and if you believe it is you are in for a shock!

oh god no, i know it wont be easy! im keen and a hard worker so dont worry about that, i know it'll take A LOT of time and effort!

thanks for the advice :)

I am starting Nvq2 Nail services one day a week at college in September and to complement that i am looking to do CND foundation course as well in the first term. This is so i can get the most out of my course and tutor whilst i have them to hand. Unfortunately these thing do cost but i am a great believer thta you reap what you sew!!!!

Oh that's a good idea luce' I'm definately not planning on stopping at just my Nvq. I know for sure I'm going to do manicure and pedicure an also want to do minx and shellac so cnd is definately on the cards too. It'll all come in time though! Can't afford it all at once unfortunately but you definately get what you pay for. Thanks for the advice. I have my college interview wednesday, eek! Wish me luck and Let me know how you get on my fellow newbie!

Latest posts

Back