CPD points

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacey-664

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone can help me but looking at training and there keep putting 29cpd points, 40cpd points ect. My question is what on earth are CPD points and are there useful or important?

Thanks in advise.

Continual Professional development?? Is it in regards to teaching?

Continuing Professional Development. In some careers eg Doctors they are rquired to undergo training/course etc every year that adds up to a total number of points. Each course they do it worth a certain amount of points.

It's the same if you teach hairdressing- shows your keeping upto date with the industry.

To be allowed to assess for city& guilds NVQ/VRQ you have show continuous professional development. For someone assessing on a full time position you have to show evidence of 30 hours a year CPD but that amount is reduced if you are part time depending on hours employed. Not sure how they transfer the points into hours though as not come across that!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not too sure on the points either- I used to have to do 6 hours as I only had A2 award.

I'm not too sure on the points either- I used to have to do 6 hours as I only had A2 award.

Be interested to find out how they equate to hours, I have to do 18 but c&g have told me its fine to use my salon hours for all my evidence if needed which is handy cos where I teach has cut right back on budget for staff training lately & we just get sent on the free loreal academy courses. If I've done Inoa & love retail once, I've done it a thousand times lol!

A whole point of cpd is to develop your skills keep you up to date with the industry, trends etc.

I know you can use salon hours - but how is that gaining more knowledge to teach!

Even shows count and they are too expensive.

A whole point of cpd is to develop your skills keep you up to date with the industry, trends etc.

I know you can use salon hours - but how is that gaining more knowledge to teach!

Even shows count and they are too expensive.

I agree, so many courses I would like to do but when you have to fund them yourself it's too expensive to do more than 1 a year! We had a great vintage hair workshop this year organised through capital and cos they came to the college they did a really good deal. I'm hoping to get the goldwell keratin treatment in salon by early next year if things go well so thats next on my training wish list!

Some insurance companies insist you have to do minimum of CPD points each year to prove that you're still keeping up your training and self-development. However, the trend in some modalities has been to move away from CPD. From what I've heard, training companies have to pay something to be able to offer CPDs and there were stories of some people doing training not because they wanted it, but for the points. Some holistic training schools I've been to refuse to do CPD.

Regarding CPD points. If you do a course in, say, massage that has 30CPD points. Is that equivalent to a diploma/qualification or do you need a massage qualification first then the CPD points are an add on/ enhancement?

I think 1cpd point =1 hour xx

Yeah that's right but is a course that awards 30 CPDs enough to practice with. Or are CPD points just to add to existing Diplomas/qualification?

I think it depends what your training in. For eg i done a spray tan course with 6 cpd points which qualified me to do spray tans, but if you were doing hairdressing you would have to go to college get your level 2/3 then do the small courses to get the cpd points to keep up with changes xx

Regarding CPD points. If you do a course in, say, massage that has 30CPD points. Is that equivalent to a diploma/qualification or do you need a massage qualification first then the CPD points are an add on/ enhancement?
You would get a certificate for the course but you would need to check that it covered all areas of massage that you would be doing. You may end up needing to do a few small courses so it really depends what it covers. So you would need to do a different short course if you also wanted to practice hot stone massage. You will only be insured for what is on your qualification xx

You would get a certificate for the course but you would need to check that it covered all areas of massage that you would be doing. You may end up needing to do a few small courses so it really depends what it covers. So you would need to do a different short course if you also wanted to practice hot stone massage. You will only be insured for what is on your qualification xx

I see! I'm not thinking of a specific course subject I just really couldn't grasp the concept of the CPD points in relation to qualification. But you've explained it beautifully! Thank you x

Latest posts

Back