Creative Techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
Hi all, I am going to a salon for an interview in London this week and wondered what you all thought of this.

The salon are talking about £70 a day on a self-employed basis.

I think this is an insult. I have been doing nails for 5 years, NVQ Qualified and now a Master Technician.

What do you all think.

Sam

i know people that have been doing nails for 9 years and they still only get £5.50 per hr plus 10% of the cost of the nails that they are doing.

thats a large salon with 8 techs, 2 beauticians and 2 hairdressers.

never underrate your skill level......because you are worth it.... you have invested in your career it would seem. What do you currently do? What promotes you to look for a job in a salon?

It was so good to get your positive response. I trained with Creative 5 years ago and am a Master Technician and NVQ Qualified. Started out when my little girl was a few weeks old, went mobile offering nails at a discounted rate for 6 months to gain experience, get my time down etc. Have been working in a salon for the past four years. 3 years ago I left my daughters father and became a single parent. Bought myself a small flat with a tiny spare room in which I do occasional clients from home. I work 3 days a week in a tanning shop and unfortunately this past year, George Wimpey have built 4,000 new homes all around our shop. We are the only shop that is being affected. The salon is going to the wall and I have put in a claim for compensation and waiting to hear. I have gone through so much, really investing time and money in my skill and am a first class nail technician. So as you can imagine it is an insult to me to be offered £5.00 an hour. I am hoping George Wimpey pay up soon to enable me to go it completely alone, but in the meantime need to earn some money or I will lose my home. Pretty scarey huh! I will not self myself short though.

And you are right not to sell yourself short Sam!! But do remember that working for yourself and working for someone else is entirely different and you will never get paid by someone else the equivilent of what you could earn yourself.

Maybe ... even if it is only for a short amount of time to keep your head above water ... you may have to take a little less. This does not mean you are worth less ... never. Do what you have to do to survive until you hear from Mr Wimpy about some compensation.

You know I wish all the best for you.

What a lovely post from Geeg.

Maybe haggle a bit when you go for the interview Sam, you never know!!

Good Luck ! x

Latest posts

Back