Damaging my own nails while working on models

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsy

Reaction score
Hi

I've found that since i've been working on friends/models that my left index finger is getting marked/ridges in it where i am holiding the models finger from the file. Does anyone else have this problem, use anything to protect your own nails?

Thanks x

I had the same problem when I was training. I used to put some tape on my index finger to avoid filing thinning my own nail.

Urban Geek said:
I had the same problem when I was training. I used to put some tape on my index finger to avoid filing thinning my own nail.

Thanks i'll give that a try :)

I use flexi wrap on my index and middle fingers on my left hand as no matter how hard I try I always get too close to my clients nails and end up filing me.

get some Tech Wrap - its a bandage like material witha sticky back, its used to protect the fingers....... erm dont know who sells it I think NSI do

Sassy Hassy said:
I use flexi wrap on my index and middle fingers on my left hand as no matter how hard I try I always get too close to my clients nails and end up filing me.
Thanks, where do you get flexi wrap from? ps. Glad i'm not the only one that has this problem :)

RedAdmiral said:
get some Tech Wrap - its a bandage like material witha sticky back, its used to protect the fingers....... erm dont know who sells it I think NSI do
Thanks i'll try NSI later for Tech Wrap

I always have bright pink flexi wrap.

I always accidentally file the skin on my left index finger and the nail on my left thumb, so i wrap those 2 fingers.

one of m,y clients said it was like a smaller roll of what they use to bandage horses up!! lol.

Hi all

Yes i also use flexi wrap on thumb and index finger, it is really good and stops the pain!:cry:

When I first started 18months ago I didn't use it and I have a small callous on the top of my index finger, but by using the wrap its not got any worse.

One day I was wrapping my fingers ready to file, then looked at the client ( a 17 year old) she looked at me worried and said " do I need protection on my fingers" :lol:

pinki

You know ladies, a simple change in the way you hold the client's finger will sort you out ... open up a larger window in which to work .... provide more support to the finger .... and no need to buy flex wrap (which by the way Designer nails have sold for years).

1 Hold the finger with the thumb index and middle fingers only.

2 Now instead of holding the finger with your thumb lying along one side the finger and your two other finger ends poking out along the other side .... which I bet all of you are doing ....

3 cock your wrist so that your thumb is at right angles to the finger you are holding, and
4 tuck your other two fingers UNDER the finger you are working on for more support.

Voilà ... a whole different world out there and no need to touch your own nails or skin with an abrasive ever again. MWAH!

I found flexi wrap got sticky on my fingers after a while and it drove me mad! So now i use sticky backed bandage wrap stuff! Cant for the life of me remember its real name though! I actually got it in a pack of 2 for £1 at my local bewise store. It was reduced from £2 so i bought about 10! Each one lasts me around 2 months, it really is the best stuff ive found to protect my fingers and nails.

Funny how the simplest of things change the way we do something for the better. I always catch my thumb when fileing a client, but i can see with your way Geeg, this won't happen anymore.:D

I hate it when you get your own looking great and then you ruin them when working on a client. Great help Geeg.

I'm sorry geeg, but i can't seem to be able to figure out what you mean (maybe it's due to linguistic matters), but would you by any chance have a picture of this grip?

I did have trouble at first with picturing this, but if you imagine holding the finger you are fileing with your thumb on top of the finger, virtually on the joint, so then the index and middle finger are inderneath for support.

I hope this is what Geeg means,:o if not please disregard all this...lol.

Sorry but I do not have a picture.

Hold the finger with your thumb on top almost making a cross across the top of the finger you are working on. To do this you have to cock your wrist in line with your thumb. The tuck the ends of your index and middle finger (or hide them away) under the finger you are working on. This way, you can't touch your own nails with the abrasive and also you have something to push against when you work.. hope you can understand.

Didn't see our post Talented Talons but you are spot on!!!

I tuck my fingers under the finger I'm working on, that way I dont end up filing mine.

I've tried and tried to re educate myself so I don't hold my fingers too far forward, but it's become comfortable for me and I just cannot change back, I've tried and tried and my hand to eye co-ordination just isn't having any of it!!! Funny because I never did it when I first started, just one of those habits I've got into and I just can't get out of.

It amuses me with new clients though when I start cutting it up , their look is like "What the hell are you gonna do to me" lol, sorry that's my rather warped sense of humour for you, small things please small minds as they say lol!!!

I think i know what you mean, going to try it out, thanks a bunch. I also use flexx wrap (by nailorder) when my nails were done recently, after a while i don't bother... Once a client told me that this looks like the stuff she uses to wrap her tennis raquet (is this the proper name?).

Latest posts

Back