Dandruff...!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaB

Reaction score
Helloo I've come over from beauty.. my boyfriend has dandruff all the time and can't seem to get rid of it. What's the best solution for him?
Thanks x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Helloo I've come over from beauty.. my boyfriend has dandruff all the time and can't seem to get rid of it. What's the best solution for him?
Thanks x

Try Redken Dandruff shampoo, it's amazing I offer a small sample first to clients and they always come back and buy it! They do a matching conditioner if needed. ;)

can you check that he is washing and rinsing his hair thoroughly!

Thanks x

Is it definitely dandruff or just dry, flakey scalp?

I thought I had dandruff because it was there all time but it ended up been psoriasis, could be that? Sorry I'm not a hairdresser so might be wrong x

can you check that he is washing and rinsing his hair thoroughly!

Hehe yes he is and i can see the bits on his scalp as he's only got short hair and if I put my hands through it, it all comes out bless him!

I thought I had dandruff because it was there all time but it ended up been psoriasis, could be that? Sorry I'm not a hairdresser so might be wrong x

The symptoms of Psoriasis can be redness; itching; and thick, dry, silvery scales on the skin.
If dandruff shampoos are not working, go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for advice on your scalp condition. He/she may advice you to try stronger shampoos that may contain ingredients such as coal tar, selenium sulphide, and others.
If these treatments prove unsuccessful, you should go to your GP who will diagnose the scalp problem and may prescribe stronger drug treatments such as steroids, anti-fungal treatments, very strong coal tar preparations or other treatments which will be available.

Sorry to rant on. I used to be a pharmacy technician.

:biggrin::biggrin:

The symptoms of Psoriasis can be redness; itching; and thick, dry, silvery scales on the skin.
If dandruff shampoos are not working, go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for advice on your scalp condition. He/she may advice you to try stronger shampoos that may contain ingredients such as coal tar, selenium sulphide, and others.
If these treatments prove unsuccessful, you should go to your GP who will diagnose the scalp problem and may prescribe stronger drug treatments such as steroids, anti-fungal treatments, very strong coal tar preparations or other treatments which will be available.

Sorry to rant on. I used to be a pharmacy technician.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry, just realised I posted my thread on the wrong bit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks x

Hi i have had a lot of good results with my old clients when they have had scalp problems by using the right products for the problem - a lot of the time dandruff is mis-diagnosed and could just be dry scalp, so firstly you need to find out which one of these it may be?

Problem: Dandruff - thick, yellowy and stuck to the head
Try - Wella System Professional Clear Scalp Shampoo, and Clear Scalp Lotion to apply to the scalp a couple of times a day and leave in.

Problem: Dry-dehydrated scalp - flaky, white and comes away when fingers run through hair, often its just dry scalp when you see white flecks on shoulders of dark tops.
This often occours when stressed/de-hydrated/not well.
Try drinking more water and less caffene, and try Wella System Professional Balance Scalp Shampoo, and Balance Scalp Lotion (apply as same as above)

Problem: Psoriasis - Itchy, red, sore, broken skin.
You really need to see a doc and get referred to a pro. I have reccomended in some cases the same as what i have said above for DRY SCALP, because it is pH balanced to the scalp and very mild and ideal for sensitive situations, but in more sever cases a GP would be better.

Hope it helps if its not fixed already x

I used Head and Shoulders when that happened to me. :)

head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner are the only thing that keeps my husbands head clear of dandruff. It has done for years

Faye cheshire

We normally only recommend the use of professional products on this site.

Head & Shoulders is not a very good product at all and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Might not be a professional product but it does the trick, I refused to use it for years because of how bad it's meant to be for coloured hair etc but just got fed up of having dandruff and paranoid feeling flakes were on my back! So I gave it a try and voila no more dandruff and my colour hasn't faded any more than any other shampoo I use x

I used Head and Shoulders when that happened to me. :)

Head and shoulders is a below par and rather awful product. After seeing your profile on here, without actually being a hair nail or skin professional (or a mix of them) then you shouldn't be using this site.

Back to the thread...
As I recommend before, if it's a dry flaky scalp use a moisturiser for a quick fix and change to a moisture rich shampoo and conditioner.
Keep away from h&s I wouldn't wash my dog in that (pampered pooch has tigi catwalk oatmeal and honey) xoxo

Head and shoulders is a below par and rather awful product. After seeing your profile on here, without actually being a hair nail or skin professional (or a mix of them) then you shouldn't be using this site.

Back to the thread...
As I recommend before, if it's a dry flaky scalp use a moisturiser for a quick fix and change to a moisture rich shampoo and conditioner.
Keep away from h&s I wouldn't wash my dog in that (pampered pooch has tigi catwalk oatmeal and honey) xoxo

lol a very spoilt pooch then ;-) but i would defo not recomend anybody to use head and shoulders my dad use to use it made it worse. proffesional prodocts are far more benefical and yes they be slightly mire expensive but you need far less product for each wash as there more concentrated etc so last a hell of a lot longer x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

lol a very spoilt pooch then ;-) but i would defo not recomend anybody to use head and shoulders my dad use to use it made it worse. proffesional prodocts are far more benefical and yes they be slightly mire expensive but you need far less product for each wash as there more concentrated etc so last a hell of a lot longer x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I try and explain that it's cheaper all ways round in the long run, colours don't fade as much so there's less need to pay for a refresh, less product is used because it goes further, and the bottles are usually bigger so the same size in home brands are usually the same price as pro products.
Then there's obviously the benefits that it's better for te hair, scalp, mind and soul.
Off the shelf products are a no go in my house, just like caged hen egg's are smashed and binned if they come here xoxo

I wouldn't ever recommend it to any clients as the range I use has products to help the scalp condition but for personal home use I haven't found a problem with my hair I still use products and treatments to suit just no dandruff with head and shoulders,x

Ive been suffering with dry scalp for a few months now, I used t gel an that helped to get rid of it but as soon as i stop using it it comes back. Can anyone recomend something that is not to expensive or maybe something i could pick up from sally/salon services

I've started using rescue oil on my scalp once a week (sleep in it and put a towel on my pillow) and then wash it once a week with a dandruff shampoo from the chemists... seems to be improving - I don't know which it is but if yours is due to dry scalp I would think rescue oil on the scalp would help? Worth a try maybe? :)

Latest posts

Back