Daughter having cartilage piercing - any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My 15 yr old is having her cartilage pierced very soon - I was thinking we could maybe freeze the area with ice beforehand to make it less painful? Is this a bad idea?

Any other tips? thank you x

My 15 yr old is having her cartilage pierced very soon - I was thinking we could maybe freeze the area with ice beforehand to make it less painful? Is this a bad idea?

Hi im a professional body peircer I wouldn't personally use ice but it shouldn't be very painful as long as she's calm when people are tense it will always hurt because there expecting it! It going to be with a needle right? If its a gun dont let them do it! You can always pm me if you want any advice :)

<3 Stephanie <3

I've got various piercings on my ears and even vertical tragus

I've been advised that having a piercing where possible without numbing is always better as when skin is numb it tightens so not the same as normal skin so heals better.

Hope that makes sense?

Also definitely make sure it's with a needle not a gun.

Where in the country are you?
X

It really depends on which part of cartilage your daughter is getting pierced? It should be a needle not a gun for a piercing such as a cartilage.

I have 3 cartilage piercings and one was not sore and the other two were sore then more painful afterwards. Especially when they are knocked.

The one thing to remember with them they are not like normal skin piercings and that they can take up to a year to heal and to not over clean them.

My method of cleaning is a Tea spoon of salt to a pint of boiling water and stir well, wait till it cools and generally I use a cotton bud to clean properly into it.

I made the mistake of cleaning it and it took longer. With my recent piercing I cleaned it out when it was sore or feeling the build up, other wise I rinsed it in the shower in the mornings and this one has healed better and quicker.

Numbing it isn't something I would recommend as someone said it would tense the skin. The best thing to do is not tense yourself, relax and breathe.

Take juice and something sweet as sometimes people can feel a bit light headed afterwards (especially if it's their first piercing) and this helps stave this off.

Jewellery wise you won't normally get a nice bar (depending on area) if it's a thicker part as you get a bigger bar which is changed down (the piercer will tell you when to come back) then you tend to get nicer bars and balls. Unless it's outer ear you get more of a choice.

Hope this helps and makes sense as I know I've jumbled and rambled on lol. My experience comes from a long time of working in piercing and tattoo shops and having them done myself. Any issues or question feel free to message me :)

Thank you, I won't use the ice then definitely.

She's getting the top part of her ear done, if you go to the top of the ear in the middle and then back about a centimetre, that bit.

Planning on doing it with a gun, the therapist said she can use a needle if we want but I got the feeling she doesn't normally use a needle so could this be worse?

I've been having treatments from this therapist for years and she's excellent, she's done the usual ear piercings and al has been fine.

Should we go with the gun or the needle?

Thank you, I won't use the ice then definitely.

She's getting the top part of her ear done, if you go to the top of the ear in the middle and then back about a centimetre, that bit.

Planning on doing it with a gun, the therapist said she can use a needle if we want but I got the feeling she doesn't normally use a needle so could this be worse?

I've been having treatments from this therapist for years and she's excellent, she's done the usual ear piercings and al has been fine.

Should we go with the gun or the needle?

Ah I get you. That bit isn't as sore. So long as she breathes whilst getting it done then she should be fine :)

I have my conch and daith done which you can see here. These are ticker bits so a bit more painful. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402318102.593649.jpg

Personally I wouldn't get any piercings done by the gun now. Just with knowing that the gun is a blunt stud that rips through the ear where as the needle is sharp and hollow and glides through the ear. This means less trauma and swelling goes down quicker. I know a lot of people get pierced with this and it's fine but it's just a personal opinion. As well as the jewellery used in it is Surgical Stainless Steel and even Titanium which means there is a very minimal chance of getting an allergic reaction and allows proper cleaning where as butterfly clips can prove to be difficult when it's a new piercing. Everything is sterilised where as many argue that the gun can't be properly cleaned and put into an autoclave which is the most hygienic way and better way to sterilise things. I know all piercers go through extensive training which can last 2 years. Plus with needles it's more accurate so no uneven lobes. I don't mean to sound scary but I would take your daughter to a local piercer. They will give proper care and will ask her to come back so they can see how it's healing and allow her to come back as many times as she needs or wants to ask they are always happy to be at the end of the phone or check it over.

It's totally down to your choice though. I know you've been going to her for years so it's down to you and what you feel comfortable with and what would be best for your daughter and what she would be comfortable with.

I'm sure your therapist won't mind you going to a piercer though, I hope this all helps :)

Hey please dont let her get it done with a gun it can do a lot of damage like the previous poster said with a gun its a blunt earing im worst case scenario it can cause your cartilage to shatter I had a client once who had to have reconstructive surgery on her ear as another "piercer" used a gun and the top of her ear couldn't support itself due to damaged cartilage. If shes not confident using a needle I would go to a professional body piercer. I dont mean to scare you she could get it done with a gun and have no problems but its not worth the risk! Guns are also not very hygienic you cant put them in a autoclave because of the plastic and an earing wouldn't be big enough to accommodate for the swelling so could embed!

Sorry to be a downer ha just annoys me when people dont pierce probably there's a huge difference between doing a day course for lobe piercing and being a actual body piercer x

<3 Stephanie <3

My friend had her cartilage done with a gun and it was a complete mess, she had to let it heal and have it done on the other side with a needle

Best to go for a needle and a body piercer, in my opinion.

I had a cartilage done with a gun about 15 years ago... and I still have a big ugly scar/lump on the back of my ear :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a cartilage piercing done at 14 in a hairdressers with a gun. It flaming hurt and I couldn't wear jewellery in it as it throbbed and felt hot. I can still get an earring in there if I wanted to as it never closed. My friend is a body piercer with many years experience and he told me a needle should have been used and that the numbing stuff is crap and it's best to just have it done with no ice or numbing cream. The needles are do sharp and strong it shouldn't hurt that much anyway if at all.

Best to go for a needle and a body piercer, in my opinion.

I had a cartilage done with a gun about 15 years ago... and I still have a big ugly scar/lump on the back of my ear :(

I have a big ugly lump on my ear too. I love my piercings but that one was a huge regret even 14 years later if I rub it or catch my hair brush on it it hurts more than if I caught the other ear and there's no jewellery in it!

Just reiterating the no gun method. I trained with studex and was taught to never use a gun to pierce cartilage - it can cause damage.

I have a big ugly lump on my ear too. I love my piercings but that one was a huge regret even 14 years later if I rub it or catch my hair brush on it it hurts more than if I caught the other ear and there's no jewellery in it!

I'm exactly the same - I couldn't sleep on that side (my preferred side!) for ages :/

To reiterate to the OP - please don't let her do it :o

Please please take her to an experienced qualified piercer, big No for the gun! Xx

Don't use a gun, google the risks of using a gun vs needle, I'd honestly find someone else, any reputable piercer would know better.

As others have said, steer clear of a gun! If anyone even mentioned doing a cartilage piercing with a gun i'd run a mile!

Go to a reputable body piercer xx

Hi I'm a professional body piercer and freezing it won't make much difference even with numbing cream. Make sure it's not pierced with a gun as it can shatter the cartridge and leave a lump and won't heal properly, the needle is quick and not much pain, hope that helps x

She had her lobes pierced with a gun, it wasn't blunt it just shot the earrings straight through which had a sharp point going through the ear - would it not be the same as this?

Or is that just for lobes?

She had her lobes pierced with a gun, it wasn't blunt it just shot the earrings straight through which had a sharp point going through the ear - would it not be the same as this?

Or is that just for lobes?

We mean the earing is blunt compared to a needle wich is sharp enough (and hollow) to cleanly slice through the cartilage whereas an earing just smashes through the cartilage basically! Guns are only suitable for lobes and nothing else your earlobes dont really swell either whereas your top ear will amd the earring will be way to tight so can embed and get infected and embedded jewellery is agony to remove! Definitely better to go with a needle

<3 Stephanie <3

Here's am example of a cartilage collapsed due to piercing with a gun sorry its gross! But this is a worse case scenario but unfortunately not as rare as youd think I had a client come to me from another piercer on this state before :eek:

<3 Stephanie <3

Attachments

• 1402552101183.jpg
    1402552101183.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Back