Debit card fraud

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
Proper annoyed today, got a call from the bank to ask about some transactions on my business account, turns out when I went on holiday to west wales this week someone helped themselves to my hard earned cash!

What if like to know is do you ever find out how it happened? Or who did it?

It's driving me crazy trying to understand how it could have happened! I've had my card with me at all times but it WAS what I used while I was away, I never normally use this card either, there were a few small £10 transactions for some call thing, a paddy power one & an easy jet ticket, I don't even have a passport!

Now my account is blocked until they sort it all out, it's my daughters bloody birthday on Sunday too so I'll have no card to be able to pay for anything!

I'm praying my clients tommorow and Saturday pay in cash rather than card!

So annoyed!!

It happened to one of my clients recently too and she's a bank manager!
They'd managed to log into her 02 mobile account and got her bank account details from there.

Proper annoyed today, got a call from the bank to ask about some transactions on my business account, turns out when I went on holiday to west wales this week someone helped themselves to my hard earned cash!

What if like to know is do you ever find out how it happened? Or who did it?

It's driving me crazy trying to understand how it could have happened! I've had my card with me at all times but it WAS what I used while I was away, I never normally use this card either, there were a few small £10 transactions for some call thing, a paddy power one & an easy jet ticket, I don't even have a passport!

Now my account is blocked until they sort it all out, it's my daughters bloody birthday on Sunday too so I'll have no card to be able to pay for anything!

I'm praying my clients tommorow and Saturday pay in cash rather than card!

So annoyed!!
Maybe message clients and say it's cash only as there is a problem with your card machine?

Did you shop online with it or use a cash machine?

I used a cash machine once and even though nothing got taken from my account but it came up on a list so the bank stopped my cards!

They can usually narrow it down as to what it is!

Paddy power is a betting site is it not?

Yea paddy power is betting, I had an issue a few months ago with another betting/money transfer site using my email for doing transactions, wiered thing is tho that was my real name email and I'd never use that one with this card I've only ever used the shop one with this card.

My son just suggested saying card machines broke & its cash only for a few days too.

I diddnt use it online at all nor withdraw cash at all, only used it in shops and the zoo, I hope that the aeroplane ticket will give them a link tho they must have used a passport with it surely?

I diddnt even look at my account online while I was away either, @ciderella71 do you mean her phone account with 02?

I'm with tesco I wonder if it could be that? I had a text while I was away to say I'd used up all my data & press the link to view my account & buy more & when I pressed it I realised it would charge me so I cancelled opening it, maybe it was that?

Yea paddy power is betting, I had an issue a few months ago with another betting/money transfer site using my email for doing transactions, wiered thing is tho that was my real name email and I'd never use that one with this card I've only ever used the shop one with this card.

My son just suggested saying card machines broke & its cash only for a few days too.

I diddnt use it online at all nor withdraw cash at all, only used it in shops and the zoo, I hope that the aeroplane ticket will give them a link tho they must have used a passport with it surely?

I diddnt even look at my account online while I was away either, @ciderella71 do you mean her phone account with 02?

I'm with tesco I wonder if it could be that? I had a text while I was away to say I'd used up all my data & press the link to view my account & buy more & when I pressed it I realised it would charge me so I cancelled opening it, maybe it was that?
It could be from before you went away? I never use a shell garage to pay with card cos round me they are renowned for cloning cards!

Hopefully they will be able to narrow it down using the easy jet because you have to use passport numbers before you fly! How did it appear on your statement did it show a reference number or anything?

There was also someone from nails who's card got cloned the hackers hacked the payment page and cloned it with there own!

Yes they changed her password on her O2 account and blocked her phone. Then spent hundreds from her bank account.

Yea there is on the east jet one the one for call credit states card not present too which means their doing it without the pin, so they must have the 3 digits on the back :/ and maybe my postcode

Hope you get it sorted quickly. It happened to me last Christmas. I got a phone call from my bank asking if I'd been to two foreign countries over the previous two days as transactions had been blocked from those countries. Turned out a local cash point had been tampered with and loads of people had their cards cloned. So annoying!!

Yea there is on the east jet one the one for call credit states card not present too which means their doing it without the pin, so they must have the 3 digits on the back :/ and maybe my postcode
Have you spoken to easy jet about it?

if it says card not present its on an actual machine? So an phone order or something like that? My mums card machine at her shop of the card holders not present it asks for house number and postcode numbers she only does phone orders now for regular customers and people she knows

It's scary how easy people can get details like that! I only ever shop on websites now that have PayPal so I don't have to physically input my card number!

I would definitely message your clients and say that there is a problem with your card machine and then your covered till they can do something with your cards usually they just stop and block them and issue you with a new one!

Also phone suppliers and ask them to remove your card of their file all bills and stuff that use your bank account and sort number more often than not so they should be okay but everywhere you've ordered online and stored card details you'll need to remove

Hope it's sorted soon tho there's nothing worse!

Hope you get it sorted quickly. It happened to me last Christmas. I got a phone call from my bank asking if I'd been to two foreign countries over the previous two days as transactions had been blocked from those countries. Turned out a local cash point had been tampered with and loads of people had their cards cloned. So annoying!!
I only ever use a rbs natwest or tescos cash machines and I never use my card now I always use emergency cash! Too many machines getting fiddled with!

I only ever use a rbs natwest or tescos cash machines and I never use my card now I always use emergency cash! Too many machines getting fiddled with!

It was a tesco machine so now I try to avoid those too. Nightmare isn't it!

About 4 years ago I had my account wiped out. The bank were fantastic and reimbursed every penny by the end of the day but they were really quite vague about how it happened, all they said was it was overseas fraud.

Took me a very long time to be feel confident using my card again.

Sorry its happened to you SG. It happened to me about a year ago also on my business account. I still had the card in my possession & only used it for big well known suppliers online so figured Id let my guard down at a dodgy cash point somewhere :(

I check my online banking obsessively so noticed it pretty much straight away, but a payment for a few hundred had gone out to a car impound company (i didnt own a car!) and the bank had stopped a several hundred pound payment to a car insurance comp as they thought it was suspicious. It turns out someones car had been impounded for no insurance & to get the car back they had to pay the fees & prove they had paid for insurance! All on my bank deets!

The thing that annoyed me the most was that thd bank dont inform the police as matter of course. If I wanted it taken furthur I would of had to notify them :( xx

Makes you wonder how much the banks are losing everyday having to pay people back due to fraud. My sister had her credit card used abroad and the company rung her at home to check as the transactions had taken her over her limit. She pointed out she was a home lol

It's so frustrating. I had a couple of tiny transactions I didn't recognise and called the bank to see what they were. They were foreign payments and were taken at all hours of the night. They also said they had tried more but didn't get the security code right. Apparently it's common to do some test transactions before they hit you with a biggy.

I got my money back but was a bit annoyed that my bank hadn't picked up on it. I had to go through fraud to get it too x

I'm lucky i answered my phone to my bank it was either an unknown number or a number I didn't recognised and googled it and it as the fraud team at rbs I was lucky they hadn't done any transactions but I had used it on a machine that had cloned some cards so stopped it before it got done!

Yes they changed her password on her O2 account and blocked her phone. Then spent hundreds from her bank account.

Was she protected by her bank or did it cost her?

Argh man! I am so free and easy with my card... Always buying online and over the phone with it.

And rarely check my account!

Sorry this happened to you Jodie!

How olds your daughter? Hope she understands no pressies for a bit!

Argh man! I am so free and easy with my card... Always buying online and over the phone with it.

And rarely check my account!

Sorry this happened to you Jodie!

How olds your daughter? Hope she understands no pressies for a bit!
She's 11 today :) I sorted a pressie or 2 out after and my card came yesterday thank god!

She's 11 today :) I sorted a pressie or 2 out after and my card came yesterday thank god!

Argh! Does that mean secondary school in September.

Latest posts

Back