Declaring working from home??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay_lou

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a full time job not remotely connected to beauty and then run my beauty business on evenings and weekends - when i'm too busy i plan to reduce my hours at work so do more beauty.

I have a log cabin in my garden which i operate my beauty business from and am qualified and insured etc.

I want to start advertising and put a board up outside my house to advertise but at the moment i have not decalred my business as it is only a side line and some weeks don't have any clients so am probably profiting around £100 per month or less - for me to advertise do i need to declare my business - what do i do to declare my business - will this cost me money etc. I do want to do it all properly but don't want to make it harder than it needs to be if you know what i mean.

Any help appriciated!:confused:

It wont cost you anything,
you just phone your local inland revenue office and tell them that you want to register as been self employed,
give them the date that you started trading and they will send out a form for you to fill in so they can put you on their data base,
they are no where near as scary as you would think and they offer free courses to help you with book keeping and accounts etc...
hth :hug:

Without a doubt, register your business. I work from a log cabin in my garden and I do a tax return, pay NI etc as it is my business. Start as you mean to go on my lovely, its just not worth the risk of getting into trouble:hug:

Hi,

I am in the exact same situation myself. I work full time and have just started working mobile doing my nails and tans in the evenings and weekends. I called my local inland revenue last week and the chap I spoke with was very helpful. He said all I have to do is to keep all my receipts for products I buy, petrol etc and keep a list of any clients I do etc for my self assessment form. He was sending me some info out in the post to help me and also some info on free courses that would be beneficial.

Hope this helps good luck!:lol:

Hi

You need to check with your council too and let them know just to protect you in case neighbours get a bit upperty about it.

I work from home and I have also done the tax and NI thing and let the council know, I have not had to pay anything as the room is technically still a bedroom:lol:

hope this helps and good luck

Hi I read a thread before, which siaed about telling the local council as some have a problem with parking and people coming and going from your property, so it might be worth just making sure you have ample parking sorted before informing them just incase that comes up too. Hope it works for you, I am hoping to do the same next year.xx

Along with advising the Inland Revenue you need to get confirmation that you don't need planning permission for change of use from the local council Planning Department and you will need to get the council's Environmental Department to come & check your premises. They are mostly concerned with your well being & making sure that you have adequate ventilation etc. The lady that visited me was mostly concerned that I looked after my hands to avoid dermatitis! You will also need to check with the council's Valuations Office to see if you need to pay rates.

It is best to ensure that everything is above board as if some neighbours get a grudge & complain the council could cause plenty of hassle for you. Do I recall a thread on here about someone being billed for 3 years of rates in one go??

Good luck hun & don't be put off by red tape. Get it done then enjoy building up your business!

Hi,
My local council told me that so long as I didn't advertise with a board outside my house, it did not have separate access, nor have more than half a dozen clients a month, I wouldn't have to pay business rates - so you do need to check about that. Each council is different.
I also have trouble with house insurance - quite a few companies don't want to know when you have a room at home for business use.
Hope this helps.
JES x

i have not decalred my business as it is only a side line and some weeks don't have any clients so am probably profiting around £100 per month or less
Hi,

Yes you must register your business with Inland Revenue, within three months on starting, whether you are making a profit or not.

You must also contact you local council and find out if they're OK with what your doing, or planning to do.

HTH

Jes

Hi,
My local council told me that so long as I didn't advertise with a board outside my house, it did not have separate access, nor have more than half a dozen clients a month, I wouldn't have to pay business rates - so you do need to check about that. Each council is different.
I also have trouble with house insurance - quite a few companies don't want to know when you have a room at home for business use.
Hope this helps.
JES x

Only 6 clients a month doesn't sound like much of an allowance, that would be 1 and a half clients a week! You do realise you could never develop your business with this restriction so would probably need to pay business rates, I am sure I read something about having problems selling after your home is declared a business premises, I would check that out too. :hug:

Latest posts

Back