Deposit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiche

Reaction score
Hi

I am a newbie and after some advice.

I am working as a mobile make-up artist and looking to train as a nail technician and was wandering if it was correct to ask for a deposit to ensure that I don't lose out if they cancel at the last minute or is this just a down side of the job.

Quiche
xx

Hello,

I dont know anyone as yet that asks for deposits on treatments. In my opinion i think it would put people off. Within this beauty industry you have to kind of accept that there will be people that will cancel sometimes because they cant be bothered/changed their mind or for general emergencies that are more important.
I know it can be annoying but we have to take the good with the bad.

For the sake of your business i personally wouldnt.
hths x

Hi, I don't think it would be a good idea to ask for deposits on nail treatments. I do however think that with some job's it would be acceptable. I for example offer a bridal package, I ask for a 20% deposit after I have done a trial and the bride is happy to book final appointment. It is refundable if they cancel at least 2 weeks before appointment.

I imagine that it would depend on the job? The way I would look at is... If they intend to honour the agreement between you then they won't mind paying a deposit to secure your time, you are also commited to delivering the service you have agreed.

I have no experiance within the Make-up industry tho, so I would definatly take further advice from some one who does!

Good luck.

Sara

I don't currently ask for a deposit, but where I used to work we "confirmed bookings" by taking their card details so if they didn't turn up we would charge them the cancellation cost, which was made clear at time of booking. This seems to be standard practice at a lot of the larger spa-type businesses where I live, but I personally found it counter-productive. The number of people it puts off far outweighs the loss through no-shows.

It is far better to have a fair but firm approach to cancellations. I ask for 24 hours notice and if they cancel after that I tell them that I would normally charge for the missed appointment, but as this is the first time they've done it I will let it go, but I make them realise it is unacceptable & that next time I will charge. I'm never nasty or argumentative, but the client has to realise we are a business not a hobby and in the same way they wouldn't like it if their employer decided not to pay them for a chunk of their working day, neither do we! Obviously with illness & death I am more lenient!

Latest posts

Back