Dermalogica Price Increase

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stock Swiss and Australian products and they've all gone up quite a bit because the exchange rate is so awful at the moment. Both companies have held back on their increases for the last couple of years but they've just had to go up now and it's a kicker. I feel very bad for my clients, and I've not passed on the full amount (except where I've been told I have no choice!). We're all suffering at the moment. :(

I use Eve Taylor, the training and the products are great. My clients love them they are affordable and theyhave the same sort of ethos as Dermalogica except they actually back the therapist!!
Also they make the additive for the Dermal Group and have done for years. the reason the cost is so affordable is because they manufacture and package themselves and do not out source. They also police the web and if they see their products sold for less than the RRp they will stop supplying to that individual!:p

Just for the heads up, those skin care companies that state they are unable to control online sales within EBay in particular, they will find that it is possible to stop Ebay selling their goods. Companies such as Burberry, Vivienne Westwood have managed to do so as well as Eve Taylor. there is no excuse!!!

I have read all of this thread with great interest. So my take on it as a beauty prof who is looking to branch out into skin care.
Last year I visited the demelogica stand at a show, to ask about start up costs etc.
I was told as a salon, or home salon I would be welcome, but not as a mobile therepist. Now I intend to be home salon but, this still got my back up, what is wrong with running a mobile business? Why is a mobile therepists money not as good as a salons money?
Then they told me the start up costs. That is a huge amount of money for a stand alone therepist to put into one basket. No graded package, just the one size fit's all. So inspite of the fact that I love the products, I dicided, this company is not for me.
Since that time I have talked to Colin and Environ. Neither of these companies have a large start order, both are happy to supply what ever form your business takes provided you hold the right qualification.
The lady at Colin went so far as to give me her mobile number so that I could check with her, when/if I found a private training company, that the quals I would get would be worth my while spending out for.
Environ. Where to start? I am so impressed with them.
I stoped by the stand at Excel, it was manic, a friendly lady asked if she could help me and I explained my mission, she asked me if it was ok to give me their information book. I said yes and then she asked if I would like to leave my details with them for someone to call me, again yes.
A week later Sophie called me, lovely friendly, bubbly rep, how did I enjoy the show, did I get face mapped, etc.
Then she asked if she could come and see me and show exactly what the company is all about. I explained that I will not be starting my studies until September and it will be at least a year, quiet likely two years before I will be qualified and set up to go and at the moment there is no money in my kitty, I'm not even trading in the area's I am qualified in. Ok, that's a lie, but I wanted to see her reaction. She said it wasn't a problem, she's going to be in my area soon and would love to drop by, show me what the company is all about so that when I am good to go, I can make some informed choices straight away, rather then doing all the leg work and delaying my opening for business.
So Sophie is coming to see me on Friday 18th March, to drink my coffee and tell me all about the company and the products. If anyone is interested, say so, and I'll post how it goes on here. I also have Sophie's phone number so again, if anyone would like to talk to her, pm me and I'll pass her number on.:hug:
Dermalogica? I think their boss is still dedicated to the company and it's products, unfortunatly I think she is out of touch with exactly how her company is tradeing, I've seen it before in other industries and perdict that it wont be many more years before you will find their products in the chemist, next to the lavender talcom powder, how sad for such a great brand.

A great analysis of Dermalogica!

Sophie is great ... I am hoping to open my acc this year. Met her before an I love the no pressure attitude. This is what we are about ... Call us when your ready.

Hello all,

I really would be interested in a phone number for a contact at Environ. I am currently setting up a home salon and was doing my research on Dermalogica when I came acrss this forum and am now so glad I did!!

I searched for them on the net last night after reading all seven pages on here and didnt have any luck!! Will def not be using Dermalogica now though!!

Many thanks everyone,

Linda

I believe Environ is distributed by IIAA in the UK
IIAA

Many thanks for that- it all seems so daunting at first!!

I used to use Dermalogica, bit find the price increase awful. It's such a shame :-(

Yep i stock Eve Taylor too. It's a lovely range and i love the smell.
And you're right, they scour Ebay every day and if anyone is selling products on there then they are removed.
You can't buy any of their products cheaper than you can in a salon so clients are more likely to buy from you.
A company with ethics!!

I'm so glad I read this thread, as Dermalogica were giving out freebies at Professionally Beauty @ Excel in London & love the stuff but I wont be buying into it now. Thank you everybody.x

I had another row with them today. Following all my calls and emails to them, I get an email from their IT department. I have to change my site to show opening hours on the front page.
WTF? have they nothing better to do than try and micro manage and upset their genuine stockists? I told them to f*** off.
I don't know who this company think they are to be honest. On my hair site, redken and pureology are really pleased with what we are doing, and the fact that sales have increased so much.
We can moan and complain as much as we like. We have been dismissed as "competitors and trolls" on this thread by dermalogica themselves.

Well it seemed they are trying to run our businesses
It seems very hypocritical of dermalogica funder Jane Wurwand to be donating money to FITE yet not care of us here.
Iam an owner of 3 beauty salons in Central London West End with very high rents. My salons are based of the main Oxford street and Regent street,to make public aware of my business I used mobile advertising for the last 8years!
This year dermalogica has closed my accounts as they do not approve of my method of promoting my business . I was forced to redundant 3 members of staff who were performing dermalogica facials and now I am not able to sell dermalogica products. I suffer a great financial downturn. I asked dermalogica to reconsider and they told me they didnt care and my staff wasnt they problem!
Surely in this date and age with all the economical downturn we should be able to promote our business?
Its very sad that Jane has not got in touch or reconsider her decision but obviously the media will not care about a salon owner from London.
I bet investing in FITE makes Jane a public person and gives her great publicity
Shame on you dermalogica shame on you Jane

Hello all,

I really would be interested in a phone number for a contact at Environ. I am currently setting up a home salon and was doing my research on Dermalogica when I came acrss this forum and am now so glad I did!!

I searched for them on the net last night after reading all seven pages on here and didnt have any luck!! Will def not be using Dermalogica now though!!

Many thanks everyone,

Linda

OMG Linda you have saved yourself a lot of time
i will not recommend using dermalogica
The owner of dermalogica is now donating money to FITE ::irked:

It seems very hypocritical of dermalogica funder Jane Wurwand to be donating money to FITE yet not care of us here.
I own 3 beauty salons in Central London West End with very high rents. My salons are based of the main Oxford street and Regent street,to make public aware of my business I used mobile advertising for the last 8years!
This year dermalogica has closed my accounts as they do not approve of my method of promoting my business . I was forced to redundant 3 members of staff who were performing dermalogica facials and now I am not able to sell dermalogica products. I suffer a great financial downturn. I asked dermalogica to reconsider and they told me they didnt care and my staff wasnt they problem!
Surely in this date and age with all the economical downturn we should be able to promote our business?
Its very sad that Jane has not got in touch or reconsider her decision but obviously the media will not care about a salon owner from London.
I bet investing in FITE makes Jane a public person and gives her great publicity

Has anyone else had a nightmare with the recent dermalogica price increase?
Our clients are really annoyed, a lot of the products have gone up as much as £4.00 and some clients are now refusing to buy the products. The company say it’s due to an increase of manufacturing costs but how comes the products which do not sell as well like the body and solar range have only gone up 5p-30p. We already have been struggling with dermalogica sales due to so many salons opening up with dermalogica, the reduced prices on the internet and the recession and come January they will increase the prices for the VAT and then again in April, how is everyone else finding it?
We are seriously considering bring in another range like eve taylor so when clients complain we have a more cost effective alternative. What do you think?
I love dermalogica and have been using them for 18 years but my therapists and I are questioning whether we would pay what they now ask! :cry:

I would not use dermalogica not only for the price increase ,the whole kudos changed
I was a stockist of dermalogica products for 8 yr
I own 3 beauty salons in Central London West End with very high rents. My salons are based of the main Oxford street and Regent street,to make public aware of my business I used mobile advertising for the last 8years!

I have only been an account holder with dermalogica since march so I am now worried i have made the wrong choice. People do think it's expensive and with everyone cutting back on their spending these days it's hard to sell it. I hope I don't end up with it just sat on my shelves

You poor thing I had my account closed after 8 years as i didn not comply with they advertising standards! Thank you so much dermalogica in this current market we should be glad to have a place to advertise for!!!!

You know Watchdog is always on the lookout for people who feel they have been let down by a company!

Well it seemed they are trying to run our businesses
Iam an owner of 3 beauty salons in Central London West End with very high rents. My salons are based of the main Oxford street and Regent street,to make public aware of my business I used mobile advertising for the last 8years!

Wow, that is terrible.

Makes you realise the ones who do care are worth sticking with....

Hi

Well found this one by mistake, i have a salon myself and our beauty girl has come to us to say she is struggling with Dermoligica as of the price increase, so we asked our hair rep what he knew, as they are wholesale based and he came back to us with a range called Pharmagel and the beauty girl loves it, a small compact range, beautiful packaging, cant get it on ebay in this country and VERY exclusive in the UK, the price is well under half of the dermoligica price, so we would recommend this :)

:mad: im again furious with dermalogica as back end of last week which i knew would happen sooner or later they were gonna re-brand the ultra-calming line an again add more products even tho after the chroma white was launch was told by b my rep there was now more new products gonna come out. So now where getting two new products which once is a concentrate serum which i think after reading the start up package flyer they sent should replace the gentle soothing booster in 2 yrs ive sold 1 booster cos my clients think £50 is too much for a little bottle. Even tho i put over that it lasts a good year an half if you use correctly but hey my clients know best!! any then i read you have to buy the open package otherwise you can't purchase the items individually an im not being funny £300 is alot when you might also need to order things that you have sold, on top of your rent, council tax, leccy etc. they are living in cloud coo coo land to me as to add insult to injury they've only shrunk the skin kits wen they re brand and are charging £41.00! erm hello they said no price increase this year not to mension taken the total eye care out an climate control out of it too. And don't know if anyone else noticed the new barrier rep has shrunk an theyve added £2 increase on the retail list. i'm not being funny but there just being cheeky in thinking no one would notice. they need to be more flexible about theses things otherwise there gonna lose most of the accounts then they will notice a huge drop in profit greedy ****ers! {excuse my french!} it just really annoys me anyway rant over!!

well don't know if you've all heard that urban retreat who are a stockist of dermalogica in a dept store are now going mobile!! my biz partner spoke to fiona head of the north and reply we got was "urban retreat will not be doing dermalogica treatments while mobile". well how they can keep a check on that ill never know cos they could do treatments without them knowing!!

Unforunately though as we all know Dermalogica is the best skin care on the Market and is the only one I've came across that actually really does what the products say they do and I've worked with espa, eve Taylor, comfort zone and Matis and dermalogica wins hands down.

Not only that but clients who are having facials done don't just want a nice relaxing experience they want to see instant results and know that what they've just had done actually works.

Also the training is amazing as I'm a very experienced beauty therapist and want to do advanced training otherwise I'm not learning anything new or beneficial.

Yes the products are now much more expensive than they were but so is everything else!

We're all paying more for insurance, petrol, road tax, food and pretty much everything. Unfortunately that's England for you at the minute. Dermalogicas prices have gone up because everything else has. Yes it makes it more difficult for us to sell it unfortunately but I'm sure all us have just had a price increase to take into consideration how much more things are costing.

I say if your not happy with the prices you should be complaining to David Cameron and while your at it see if they'll sort out the petrol, road tax and vat increase man ;) x

Latest posts

Back