Designing an effective advert for your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
To gain clientèle whether you are starting up or looking to expand your business you need to advertise!! I've put together a few hints and tips on designing your own adverts - for marketing info see Sassy's Excellent thread on advertising your business!! But as i spend all day designing adverts for other businesses i thought id share a few pointers with you.

When advertising your business, you need your advert to stand out and be seen so you can generate a positive response. Before you do anything you need to organise your copy. (content of an advert ie text, logos and any pictures etc) plan ahead what you are going to write - don't waffle, keep it short, informative and to the point or people simply won't read it!

Firstly check the details with the advertiser (ie newspaper/mag) dont be afraid to ask questions. How much space have i got to play with?? is it a full colour/single colour publication?? does my advert bleed off the page (you don't want to loose any text) or is it a set space in a border.

Have a Bright Catchy Header

This is an important part of the advert as it draws the reader’s attention to the rest of the advert. It needs to be Big Bold and straight to the point.
Don'tput your company name at the top as people won't know who 'ABC mobile beauty' is - your best off putting your service ie TANNING or WAXING etc

Space
Draw a box the size of your advertisement on a piece of plain paper. Draw out a rough layout of your design in pencil before you start work on your computer - fitting all the info in a small advert space is harder then you might think!! don't put things too close to the edge or it will disappear into the border!

Pictures
Choose pictures of the items you are promoting, make it stand out so it catches the eye - but also it doesn't want to detract from your copy (text).
Use the picture and header to grab the readers attention - then sell the product to them with your copy!!

Copy text
The is very important - the main body of text. This should advise the reader of the benefits of the product/service/special offer that you are advertising. This section is clearly important and should be clear and precise.
Don't make your text too small - it needs to be readable!

Logo, Address and contact information

These are among the most important elements of your advertisement because your potential customers need to know who you are and where to go. Your company name or logo should be prominent. The logo should be placed at the bottom of an advertisement with the address, phone number and any other contact details.

Make sure these are correct and easy to read - as there's nothing worse then having a great informative eye catching advert and not being able to read the phone number/address - if people cant see where to go & who to contact then they wont contact you!

Also check for spelling errors and typos - these can look unprofessional! x

Excellent info rach, thank you xxxxx

Great info Rach.
Takes me back to my advertising days!

Tahnk you r#achel really useful information can you make this into a tutorial please hun

scattyfox said:
Tahnk you r#achel really useful information can you make this into a tutorial please hun

yep how do i do it?? do i just copy and paste? or can i move it some how? x

thank you this is really helpful.

Great advice love! Excellent tutorial.

can't believe this thread passed me by....its great!! full of useful info!! :hug:

Thanks for the great information...can you make a example so we can see how to do it?

Thanks a bunch.

Great advice Rachyroo, thank you for sharing . . . xx

moved this to Business Articles so it won't be lost amongst the threads :D
Nice one Rach x

Wicked info, well done Rach x

I see sooooo many spelling errors on websites (yes, even some of the ones belonging to the members here).
Do people not realise how awful it looks? I'm known for being an uber-pedant, to the point where one CEO I worked for said that no copy was to leave the building without it had been past me first!
What it says to me (and several other people I know) is that the website owner doesn't care enough even to get the spelling right. What hope is there that their attention to detail vis a vis their nail/beauty services is going to be any better?
By the way, I'm more than happy to review any member website and correct any errors!

Latest posts

Back