DHA Free spray tan comparison results

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
So a little while ago I said I was going to be testing some DHA free solutions to appeal to the competition dance world especially those with younger children who aren't allowed it for school.

The ones I compared were:
Aviva labs -stage tan
Aviva labs -tango tan
Sho glo-renaud natural
Siennasol
Viesha
Reem tan
Amber sun - Norvell

So bearing in mind what I am looking for is a deep dark brown colour specifically for the competition dance market, that will wash off. All solutions were started off using the settings that I would normally use for DHA solutions and then adjusted accordingly. All photos have had two coats. The same model was used on all solutions and the results were concluded over three days

Aviva labs
Lovely solution. Sprayed really nice, dried instantly. Stage tan colour was a lot darker than the tango tan. This was the most expensive of the lot. Smelled nice too. Washed off with no problems. Unusually my model said it felt like being sprayed with stinging needles, but bearable!

Sho-glo
Sprayed really wet even when I turned my gun right down it just didn't really dry very well. The colour was really nice and dark brown so it's a pity that it didn't dry well on the skin. Not sure of price as my contact had changed jobs.

Siennasol
This is the only sample I had to pay for. Was nice to use, it was slightly wet after one coat. wet to use. Wasn't good at showering off.

Viesha
Lovely colour, nice and dark after two coats, dried nicely, good to wash off. Was definitely a favourite.

Reem tan. Lovely to use, had a lovely fruity smell, dried quickly and was a reall dark brown. This gave the same colour as the rest after one application so really I don't think I would need to do two coats unless they wanted to be really dark. Price is reasonable too. I'm definitely going to be asking for DHA version of this.

Amber sun -Norvell
Went on nice, dried quickly. My model said it smelled like toffee and chocolate ice cream lol very pleasant, she also said it felt "smooth" a bit disappointed with colour as it was probably the palest of the lot.
The results are now in

The winner is..................Reem Tan. Up until I used the Reem tan, Viesha was my next choice. My top two were chosen on the colour, adhesion to skin, drying time and wash off. But for me, the colour of Reem tan was the winner for me along with price. Here are the pics so you can see for yourself

Last edited:
The pics.......

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352649933.517992.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352649933.517992.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 21,877
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352649945.667758.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352649945.667758.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 7,218
Thank you for posting. Its really informative. Loving the colour of Reem Tan, really dark and deep. I wasn't aware that DHA free solutions were available until you posted your original post about them. Def something I'm going to look into myself :biggrin:

:biggrin: Fantastic news !! Great thread explaining your comparisons and results - thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our wash off dance tan, very much appreciated and valued.

Thanks for the research! The Reem tan does look lovely! I too wasn't aware of being able to use my gun to spray dha free solutions. One question please, if I was to use this on ladies who wanted it for a night out - would it stand up to dancing/moderate sweating etc? I suppose for your dancing ladies it must but it would be good to know for sure xxx

Can anyone explain how the dha free tan works? How long does it last etc etc x

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

Ok whilst I understand you wanting a dha free tan. I don't understand everyone loving this shade? It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Not at all natural. I would not let my girls go out like that whether they were dancing or not? I think some of the others look better x

Ok whilst I understand you wanting a dha free tan. I don't understand everyone loving this shade? It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Not at all natural. I would not let my girls go out like that whether they were dancing or not? I think some of the others look better x

Agree it looks like being sunburnt and tanned at the same time, it looks really red to me. But that may be the lighting. I like the 1st photo the best, looks more natural I think.

Whilst as professionals we might not like these really dark, fake looking shades, remember that the competitive dancing world has a specific look now, which unfortunately is this shade.
I have been approached by Irish dancers who I refused to spray as they were so young, but they had stated when enquiring that the 16% was 'too natural' for them 😳 so I'd guess that they would love the Reem tan too. x

The whole reason for setting out on this fact finding mission was to find a dance tan that would be suitable for the competition dance world, in particular the disco dance world. I had a few clients who had children in dance competitions and they told me of the laborious process of how long it takes to tan them up the night before and also at how the school often get onto them, or they just are not allowed to wear fake tan for school. So that got me thinking. This hand method often left the kids with orange hands etc. Ill give you an idea of how dark they want it. I sprayed a couple of older dancers with LA disco, whcih is double dipped. To get the achieved colour what they did was leave the tan on overnight, did NOT wash it off, then went ahead and applied even more bronzer on top!. This is apparantly "the look" in this industry. So it got me thinking that if I could find a colour that was achievable but also that could be washed off, then I could appeal to a whole new market.

And also as I have said in the past I come from Geordie Shore territory where you can never be too brown!!! and the kids round here would die to be this colour! but anyway, the journey wasnt set out to find the most natural tan for people who cant wear products with DHA in, that is another story. The point of it was to set out to find a VERY DARK tan SPECIFICALLY for the Competition Dance World.

But I can totally see where you are coming from.

The whole reason for setting out on this fact finding mission was to find a dance tan that would be suitable for the competition dance world, in particular the disco dance world. I had a few clients who had children in dance competitions and they told me of the laborious process of how long it takes to tan them up the night before and also at how the school often get onto them, or they just are not allowed to wear fake tan for school. So that got me thinking. This hand method often left the kids with orange hands etc. Ill give you an idea of how dark they want it. I sprayed a couple of older dancers with LA disco, whcih is double dipped. To get the achieved colour what they did was leave the tan on overnight, did NOT wash it off, then went ahead and applied even more bronzer on top!. This is apparantly "the look" in this industry. So it got me thinking that if I could find a colour that was achievable but also that could be washed off, then I could appeal to a whole new market.

And also as I have said in the past I come from Geordie Shore territory where you can never be too brown!!! and the kids round here would die to be this colour! but anyway, the journey wasnt set out to find the most natural tan for people who cant wear products with DHA in, that is another story. The point of it was to set out to find a VERY DARK tan SPECIFICALLY for the Competition Dance World.

But I can totally see where you are coming from.

Good for you. I think it's a great idea and although we think it looks ridiculous, natural isn't what these dancers want. It's a good idea that they can wash it off for school too.

just to give you a visual. this is LA disco, the day after, guide colour has not been washed off, and more bronzer has been added to achieve the look

Attachments

• 37479_1554773468825_6320928_n.jpg
    37479_1554773468825_6320928_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,447
Agree it looks like being sunburnt and tanned at the same time, it looks really red to me. But that may be the lighting. I like the 1st photo the best, looks more natural I think.

yes Holly, I agree, but natural is not the purpose of my comparisons x Now since I have put my pic on my facebook page someone has contacted me who has eczema who says she cant wear fake tan/spray tan because she goes patchy. She is a new client so I am going to patch test her for both my Nouvatan and my dha free tan. So it might be that I get a second more natural dha free tan in stock for clients like this. I would really love to get my hands on her if the patch test for the Nouvatan goes ok and spray her with that but thats going to be another story lol. I am diverting from the subject now lol

Hi all :biggrin: - We have a range of light, medium and dark spray tan solutions which provide a natural tan, as they are targeted to the usual client and are hugely popular….

Please remember that this product, is a competition tan, specifically formulated and designed for professional dancers and bodybuilders who require their colour to be as dark as possible under the spotlight. As such, it isn’t intended to look natural.

In the competition sector, where tan is concerned, it is definitely a case of the darker, the better – hence, the development of a product which could be targeted to a particular market due to popular demand.

The purpose is to provide an instant colour, which holds up to the strictest conditions a performer has to endure. The wash off solution and mousse is particularly for those who do not want a lasting colour ie due to work/school rules. The product simply washes off with soap and water but is not affected by sweating.

Many thanks – Reem Tan :biggrin:

As others have stated this product is for dance/stage not a natural holiday glow. I would never offer this as a regular tan, however the colour is great for anybody in dance or bodybuilding circle. There are so many threads therapists have posted looking for mega dark tans for dancers etc and this seems to fit the bill. Do I like it for me personally? No! It could however give me a competitive edge and bring in more clients. Who am I to judge if client wants to look like they have flown to close to the sun ;) If it helps pay the bills then great, its hardly a moral dilemma.

Fair enough dancers aren't looking for a natural but from a parental point I would not be happy for my child to look like this x no offence intended but I just think why?

As others have stated this product is for dance/stage not a natural holiday glow. I would never offer this as a regular tan, however the colour is great for anybody in dance or bodybuilding circle. There are so many threads therapists have posted looking for mega dark tans for dancers etc and this seems to fit the bill. Do I like it for me personally? No! It could however give me a competitive edge and bring in more clients. Who am I to judge if client wants to look like they have flown to close to the sun ;) If it helps pay the bills then great, its hardly a moral dilemma.

I totally see where your coming from but if I sprayed someone this dark hundreds of people will see it and some will ask where it was done. I bet I wouldn't see hardly any of those people ever! I just wouldn't want to put my name or my business to something so dark. Regardless of what or who it's for x

Fair enough dancers aren't looking for a natural but from a parental point I would not be happy for my child to look like this x no offence intended but I just think why?

I can understand your statement, BUT, if you were a parent and your child was interested in getting into this type of dancing, you would know from the outset, exactly the level of brown that you would need to be for these competitions. I personally think it is way too dark for little kids, hence the reason for me offering a wash off option so they dont have to go to school looking hideous

I totally see where your coming from but if I sprayed someone this dark hundreds of people will see it and some will ask where it was done. I bet I wouldn't see hardly any of those people ever! I just wouldn't want to put my name or my business to something so dark. Regardless of what or who it's for x

Princess, the client will be coming to you on the day of their competition getting sprayed and going straight to the comp, then washing off. the only people seeing this tan are more potential clients who will only be saying "wow were did you get that flawless dark tan from" and "you mean you can wash it off and they dont have to go to school looking like they been tangoed for the next few days"

I can understand your statement, BUT, if you were a parent and your child was interested in getting into this type of dancing, you would know from the outset, exactly the level of brown that you would need to be for these competitions. I personally think it is way too dark for little kids, hence the reason for me offering a wash off option so they dont have to go to school looking hideous

I have a cheerleading child and it still wouldn't be allowed. But that's me as a parent. As a business woman I still think it's too dark. But if you make money, which I'm sure you will that's fantastic. It's just not for me. Or my clients xxx

Latest posts

Back