Diamond Head vs Crystal Microdermabrasion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenBarnard

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've used the crystal microdermabrasion machines for several years now but have started up a home business in my spare time and am looking at purchasing a diamond head microdermabrasion machine. But when I was taught micro's I was told diamond head was something you used on top of a normal crystal based micro to give a stronger exfoliation. Because I doubt I'd be doing many micro's, though if anything I'd get my values worth from just doing myself and family, I'm just concerned about how strong they really are. And most of them are made in Taiwan or Korea and I just worry how good they are. So if any of you have used them or know anything about them can you send me some feedback? Thanks x

id beinterested to see what people say to this ...

Hi ladies, I work for an equipment manufacturer, and we make both crystal and diamond MDA units in the UK.
If you would like futher info PM me and I'll tell you all I know!

Hi there, i've got a fantastic article from my training manual which explains exactly the difference, i cant type it all in on this reply but i could send you a document if you would like?

I would love that Helen! You're a super star!

Hi all

If you would like the excert from my training manual then if you message me with your email address its just i dont know how to attach a file via this site.

:green:

I spent a lot of time reserching the same thing and decided on a diamond head. They are cheaper (check ebay for the ones from China) and they dont leave grit everywhere for your clients to find in their mouth or eyes later. I had a crystal machine years ago but sold it. I love my diamond machine.

elements-aus...Do you use a machine from China? I have seen some on ebay and they are much cheaper than the others. I have always been worried about buying machines from China for some reason so have held off buying.

Yup. SegWA. You will save thousands and you can always upgrade once you see if there is demand for it.

I spent a lot of time reserching the same thing and decided on a diamond head. They are cheaper (check ebay for the ones from China) and they dont leave grit everywhere for your clients to find in their mouth or eyes later. I had a crystal machine years ago but sold it. I love my diamond machine.

Please please PLEASE make sure if you're buying anything from China that it's not medical grade equipment!!!! Medical grade MDA is incredibly harsh, and you won't be insured to use it here unless you have a medical background. I have been on the receiving end of one of these machines and my skin was marked for around 2 weeks afterwards, not to mention the agony I was in during the treatment. Also, with the diamond heads you can get them in a wide variety of grits, make sure the grit you're using is fairly fine, not too harsh....lastly check the rotation speed when you get the unit, spinning the head too fast on the skin will give you a high chance of causing a friction burn on the skin.

Units made in the UK will most likely not give you any of these problems, but coming from China, I would be extra careful to check what you're buying.

Surely with the Chinese made machines they wont be made too harsh? I mean, Asian skin is the first to hyperpigment or scar..

Heya,

I think Diamonds are a lot better than crystal methods. You can use it on all skin types, around the delicate eye areas and you have no consumables. Its a lot less abrasive aswell. I saw an advert in Habia for a naturalaser Diamond Peel system and I have never looked back. Its been fab xx

I work for a dermatologist and we have both the diamond and crystal machines in our cosmetic clinic. All the technicians that perform micros tend to prefer the crystal machine, as well as the majority of our patients. Most of our patients prefer the feeling of the crystals on their skin as opposed to the diamond tip, and typically really enjoy the feeling of the crystals. It does not seem to be too abrasive. The only real problem is that it is obviously more messy than the diamond tip, but most patients enjoy the treatment so much than having some crystals on their clothes doesnt really bother them. We just ensure that we are careful to not get crystals in their mouth or anything lol.

Please please PLEASE make sure if you're buying anything from China that it's not medical grade equipment!!!! Medical grade MDA is incredibly harsh, and you won't be insured to use it here unless you have a medical background. I have been on the receiving end of one of these machines and my skin was marked for around 2 weeks afterwards, not to mention the agony I was in during the treatment. Also, with the diamond heads you can get them in a wide variety of grits, make sure the grit you're using is fairly fine, not too harsh....lastly check the rotation speed when you get the unit, spinning the head too fast on the skin will give you a high chance of causing a friction burn on the skin.

Units made in the UK will most likely not give you any of these problems, but coming from China, I would be extra careful to check what you're buying.

You are right in so far as medical microdermabrasion machines are different - far more effective (you do need to be medically qualified). However, the treatment outcome is not down to the machine but down to the professional using it! You should certainly not be leaving a treatment with 'marks' on your skin or 'friction burns' whatever the type of machine. Sounds like you have a really bad experience with an inexperienced technician.

It is like saying how long is a piece of string - diamond tips have their pros and cons as do crystals, but it really is about the make of machine you buy. Some are quite useless and no more effective than manually exfoliating with product from boots or superdrug! So don't be too drawn in by the 'type' of machine.

I've got the Diamond wand attachment and use it on some clients faces.
its great for pedicures etc but I prefer my crystal microd.
Depends on what machine you have honey.

Every clients different so its good to have everything to offer them

I am just setting up my business from home and I'm very keen to offer microdermabrasion. I am going to rent a machine until I build up my business, but so far I have only been able to find crystal microdermabrasion rentals. Does anyone know any companies that offer diamond tip rental machines?

elements-aus...Do you use a machine from China? I have seen some on ebay and they are much cheaper than the others. I have always been worried about buying machines from China for some reason so have held off buying.

If you use devices from another country on clients, firstly you won't get insured on it easily as you will need training from the manufacturer and the insurance people will require information from the company sometimes. Secondly the devices sold on ebay although they are cheap the components within the devices are rubbish, i've seen so called salon equipment for £30 - £50 which i'm guessing would break within a couple of weeks or months. we met a lady who bought an LED therapy device from online once and she spoke to us at one of the trade shows, said she got it really cheap but after the second use her skin became red raw, turns out the mask was heating up (which she thought was normal) and the 'led' lights were actually the types of lights like a bulb which heats up. if she'd have used that on a client she'd be in real trouble!

if you're using it on yourself you can risk it but with clients you have to be careful saving a few pounds here and there might cost you dearly.

Some British company devices are made in china due to low labour costs etc but the components will either be from Britain or Germany and UK based companies selling these devices have to be registered and insured themselves to sell the products. So as a therapist if anything goes wrong with a device you know you have the backing of a company to help you out.

I personally think diamond is better than crystal and i can send a pdf of the comparisons to anyone interested in finding out the difference, just message me. Diamond tip devices were actually brought out because of the problems with crystal dermabrasion, but sometimes its just a case of trying both or researching both and finding out which one you want for your clients or yourself.

Best Wishes,
Mel :)

I am just setting up my business from home and I'm very keen to offer microdermabrasion. I am going to rent a machine until I build up my business, but so far I have only been able to find crystal microdermabrasion rentals. Does anyone know any companies that offer diamond tip rental machines?

If you use devices from another country on clients, firstly you won't get insured on it easily as you will need training from the manufacturer and the insurance people will require information from the company sometimes. Secondly the devices sold on ebay although they are cheap the components within the devices are rubbish, i've seen so called salon equipment for £30 - £50 which i'm guessing would break within a couple of weeks or months. we met a lady who bought an LED therapy device from online once and she spoke to us at one of the trade shows, said she got it really cheap but after the second use her skin became red raw, turns out the mask was heating up (which she thought was normal) and the 'led' lights were actually the types of lights like a bulb which heats up. if she'd have used that on a client she'd be in real trouble!

if you're using it on yourself you can risk it but with clients you have to be careful saving a few pounds here and there might cost you dearly.

Some British company devices are made in china due to low labour costs etc but the components will either be from Britain or Germany and UK based companies selling these devices have to be registered and insured themselves to sell the products. So as a therapist if anything goes wrong with a device you know you have the backing of a company to help you out.

I personally think diamond is better than crystal and i can send a pdf of the comparisons to anyone interested in finding out the difference, just message me. Diamond tip devices were actually brought out because of the problems with crystal dermabrasion, but sometimes its just a case of trying both or researching both and finding out which one you want for your clients or yourself.

Best Wishes,
Mel :)

Just so you know, this thread was created back in 2010 and the chances are that some of the posters have been absent for some time.

Just so you know, this thread was created back in 2010 and the chances are that some of the posters have been absent for some time.
Ah! I didn't realise, think i just saw the latest one LOL thanks!

Best wishes
Mel

Latest posts

Back