Dilemna

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAIL FRENZY

Reaction score
Hi,

I should be really happy about this, but I'm struggling with what to do. I have been offered a really good promotion at work, (own office, much better salary). However, I have also been offered a chance to rent a table doing nails in a couple of months time. Its in quite a busy shopping precinct. So theres my dilemna, I absolutely love doing nails and look forward to every client that walks through my door (I work from home evenings and weekends). But this office promotion would be a good steady wage, lots more challenge and after fifteen years of working in an office I've finally been recognised as someone who can take on a lot more responsibility.

I have had the most horrendous year, my son has been seriously ill, then my husband had two heart attacks and I'm going through tests myself. It sounds stupid I know, but I just see this as maybe a turn around of good luck for me my family but I just don't know which one of the two I should go for???

Any advise would be great!!

Ooh, thats a tough situation to be in- wouldnt want to offer any advice as id be pants.

Will offer my best wishes & good luck with whatever you decide to go with instead.:hug: :hug:

Sorry i couldnt be of more help :sad: :Love:
Soo said:
Hi,

I should be really happy about this, but I'm struggling with what to do. I have been offered a really good promotion at work, (own office, much better salary). However, I have also been offered a chance to rent a table doing nails in a couple of months time. Its in quite a busy shopping precinct. So theres my dilemna, I absolutely love doing nails and look forward to every client that walks through my door (I work from home evenings and weekends). But this office promotion would be a good steady wage, lots more challenge and after fifteen years of working in an office I've finally been recognised as someone who can take on a lot more responsibility.

I have had the most horrendous year, my son has been seriously ill, then my husband had two heart attacks and I'm going through tests myself. It sounds stupid I know, but I just see this as maybe a turn around of good luck for me my family but I just don't know which one of the two I should go for???

Any advise would be great!!

Sue,

Although the office promotion sounds very attractive, your heart obviously isn't in it otherwise you wouldn't want to do nails. Money, although it helps, is not everything.

I think you should follow your heart and your passion and pursue what you love doing - nails! If you don't grasp this opportunity, you may well end up regretting it. Go for it girl and good luck!

do u like ur office job? how important is the money 2 u?
if u like workin in the office & the money is important i would stick with that as this is what u have worked up 2 & u can always do nails evenings/weekends and it can b a hobbie u look forward 2 doin.
if this goes wrong u can always go back 2 doing nails but 4 the time bein u can build up ur clients.
just a thought

If it was me i would go for the one that i would enjoy the most. They both sound like they have good prospects, so it would definately be down to enjoyment for me and as less stress as possible!!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

Hi ya, i can see where your coming from i have worked in my office job for 3 years and also love doing nails, but although money isnt everything if you are used to the regular monthly wage that pays the bills etc, its very hard to let that go. I know in my opinion it would be a risk to let my office job go not only have i worked hard to get where i am im also on a good wage that i need just to get by. Its definately a hard choice and if money isnt a problem then definately follow your heart i know i would if i didnt have bills etc to worry about, at the moment i have no intention of leaving but am trying to build a clientele at evenings and weekends and if that works then i would think about it. Good luck in your decision x x

I realise that a steady job pays the bills. I too work in an office part-time but I can assure you that if a good opportunity for a full-time job in the nail industry came along, I would jump at it. Otherwise, I see myself doing nails part-time forever. I don't want to do it on a mere part-time basis, I want it to be my No.1 career.

hi soo

firstly CONGRATULATIONS on the promotion !!!

Ermm...now for the good advice ??
icon_rolleyes.gif
Shucks i cant offer you any!!!

Get a blank piece of paper.....2 colums....pro's and cons to both ideas.....what does that bring up?

I know its a MEGA hard decision when your in a goood job with a good salary....paid holidays...sick pay etc etc etc.

Think it through ! whats your partner say?

Good luck with whatever decision you make hun!! I feel for you !!

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back home in the West Indies there is a saying "why leave sure for unsure" what this basically means is why would you want to give up something that is more or less guaranteed for something that you don't know the outcome of?

Your in a position where you can have the best of both worlds, why not go for the promotion and as a pilot try the role out for a few months and still work from home. I would not worry too much about loosing the table as I have always been of the beleif that if it was meant to be there will always be another opportunity.

It would be a shame to give up your regular paid employment only to take the offer of the table and that falls through...what come back would you have?

Where as if you accept the promotion and it turns out that it was not what you expected it to be, you can still get paid whilst finding something else?

When does the promotion take place? If it's straight away, and the nail table is not for a couple of months, personally I would take the promotion, see how it goes for the 2 months. If it isn't all you hoped, then take the nail table!!! You have to look after yourself in this world hun!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Because your husband has had 2 heart attacks recently, do you think that you will have to be the main breadwinner over the next few years. If so then you have to ask will doing nails bring in as much money as the office job. I know that money is not everything, but when you have a family and a home to run you have to take that into consideration.

You already have both, the good job which pays well, plus doing the thing that you like best by doing nails in the evening.

For me, I would stick as you are. But as you know the choice is really yours, no one else can decide. I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

All the best.

love Val

Thank you all so much for the advice, it really is appreciated. It is right that I will probably be the main breadwinner at the moment untill my husband is back on his feet. I think I will take the promotion which starts next week if I want it and then when the table becomes available in 2 months re-consider my position then. In the meantime I will build up my client numbers (hopefully) and then I can sit down and have a good think about what to do.

Nails are a really big passion of mine and there is no way I would give them up. Going to the show today has given me loads of inspiration to continue with my nail career - especially when one of the stall holders said "I see you have had your nails done at the show today" I was so chuffed to say no I did them myself!!

Thanks for the advice everyone it has really helped to make my decision.

:hug: & xxx

Try this: Write down one piece of paper 'Take the office promotion' and on another piece of paper 'Take the nail offer'. Screw them up and and then pick one.

How do you feel when you see the answer? Happy? Scared? Then be honest with yourself and go with your gut instinct.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back