Disheartened with beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Deebaneenee,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so down.

I hit a brick wall the Last few weeks and also thought back to a time when I was paid minimum wage and it seemed like luxury compared to now.

The main thing is you must remain so strong and positive !

I know it's hard but listen to your heart and if the only reason you are considering a job is for the money then maybe you should hold out a bit more..... You will regret it when you are been told what to do and working long hours...

I still think 8 months is still very very soon.

I have been going 12 months and am still really slow with little profit if any.

I believe it takes a good 1-2 years to get established and also I am a big believer in you get out what you put in and a positive strong attitude with a determination to succeed is needed.You need to ride the storm.i would give it till next summer at least before you make any decisions

Good Luck

thanks everyone who has replied. its good to know im not the only one finding it hard work!
i won't be lowering my prices, im not expensive as it is, for example my spraytans are £15, shellac is £22, back massage £15, brow wax £6. my most expensive treatments are Brazilian and Hollywood waxing at £30. i paid for the best training, use a superior wax and im good at it so there's no way im charging less, i say more fool anyone who wants to be that up close to strangers bums for a tenner, lol! (which is what another local salon charges!).
i understand the point of view that its better to be busy and charge less but im in an established salon that ladies with money come to so i don't want to look cheap or desperate. and that's another gripe of mine, why do clients think nothing of a £60 or £70 pound hairdo every 5 weeks but seem horrified at the thought of £22 for their nails every fortnight!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

thanks everyone who has replied. its good to know im not the only one finding it hard work!
i won't be lowering my prices, im not expensive as it is, for example my spraytans are £15, shellac is £22, back massage £15, brow wax £6. my most expensive treatments are Brazilian and Hollywood waxing at £30. i paid for the best training, use a superior wax and im good at it so there's no way im charging less, i say more fool anyone who wants to be that up close to strangers bums for a tenner, lol! (which is what another local salon charges!).
i understand the point of view that its better to be busy and charge less but im in an established salon that ladies with money come to so i don't want to look cheap or desperate. and that's another gripe of mine, why do clients think nothing of a £60 or £70 pound hairdo every 5 weeks but seem horrified at the thought of £22 for their nails every fortnight!

Because not so many hairdressers joined in the race to the bottom! Good hairdressers are valued by their clients, and we don't kid ourselves that the kiddie fresh out of college gives the same treatment as we do.

If clients are telling you that you are too expensive then your are my darling.

shedunlop i appreciate your reply but id never let clients opinions influence my prices!
I've had people message me on Facebook saying let me know when you're doing offers. as if im a big business that can afford to have a sale.
as i saw another geek on here say recently, i don't survive on fairy dust!

sorry Persianista i don't understand what you mean by that.

Because not so many hairdressers joined in the race to the bottom! Good hairdressers are valued by their clients, and we don't kid ourselves that the kiddie fresh out of college gives the same treatment as we do.

& to add to the above... EVERYONE see's your hair lol! Nails can be hid under varnish, & unless you have nice ones not many people take much notice anyway.

If you are struggling, could you get a part time job & cut your hours a little... You may feel busier if everyone is in together in a shorter space.

As the others have said it can take a good while to get a new business to profit it would be a shame to give up now you've put in so much time, effort & money.

Xx

sorry Persianista i don't understand what you mean by that.

What she means is that people in lets say nails see that someone is charging less & try to compete with each others prices. It has been said on here a few times that nails 10 years ago were more expensive than they are now... As alot of people 'do' nails, when realistically the cost of living & products has gone up in 10 years.

I paid £35 for acrylics 10 years ago, they are around £30 or under near me now.

Xx

steph i know it takes years to build a steady client base. i didn't naively think id set up on my own and watch the money roll in. but im talking about weeks on end of being quiet.
and its not the quality of treatment i provide as the regulars i do have are always thrilled with their treatments. its getting new clients in the door to start with that seems to be the problem.

How is December looking for you? Ive said before last November was my worst month ever... Cancellations due to everyone saving for xmas. Next week is quiet, probably my worst week this year should the phone not start ringing. Yet Dec looks great.

My intention next week will be to do a leaflet drop. See if I can pick up more business. Ive donated 2 vouchers with an expiry date of 13th Dec so hopefully they will be redeemed & I can hand out my business cards & introduce 2 new people to my services.

Xx

besides a few regulars, not a lot booked in for December. hoping i get lots of walk ins.
i think the whole something for nothing mentality and people wanting offers all the time is a huge problem, and i just don't want to be part of the bargain basement bunch!
has the beauty industry always been like this or is it a result of the recession?

besides a few regulars, not a lot booked in for December. hoping i get lots of walk ins.
i think the whole something for nothing mentality and people wanting offers all the time is a huge problem, and i just don't want to be part of the bargain basement bunch!
has the beauty industry always been like this or is it a result of the recession?

It's wahanda groupon and living social! People feeling the pinch would rather look for a deal.....

I don't think it always has, hence prices were probably the same if not more expensive 10 years ago. I think alot of the one day courses has saturated the industry, people doing services uninsured, cheap, not working out what costs are before deciding on pricing.

Ive seen myself on Facebook a girl buying a "shellac" kit from tesco & charging people £10 from home... Spray tans £8. Buying products & kits from ebay, Clients being uneducated about products & how services should be carried out...we've had several threads about ridiculous prices.

Xx

I have decided to go the Holistic route, Reflexology etc, as I think beauty is great if you work in a great spa or such like or have been established for uears and use " exceptional spa products", but mobile or home salon- when you have people setting up and doing nails for £12 and tans for £8 , why bother, some people just want a fast cheap treatment and they don't care if the nails don't last, whether they are a funny shade of brown.

Have you checked to see if you are entitled to any financial support from the DSS if your earnings are low?

Could you do some treatment packages to get those ladies to have something they wouldn't normally, hopefully to have it again?

I've started (this goes against the grain) to jump on the gimmick sales hype. I'm now advertising the "Dracula" facial. Using sensationalist words grabs attention rather the PRP Therapy. I'm finding this difficult as sales isn't my thing but by gosh it's working, even letting clients know which celebs have what treatments.

Do any celebs have the treatments you offer? Linking celebs to treatments/ products = sales! rightly or wrongly?XX

Also, are you noticeable at the salon?

Is there an A board outside? Window display? Could you ask the salon if they would mind handing out a leaflet to their clients once they've paid... Put posters up in the salon? have a little portfolio of before & after pictures in the waiting area?

Is there houses local to the salon you could leaflet drop if you are quiet? So your not too far away if you get a walk in.

Is there any noticeable services you could do for the hairdressers? Like a spray tan or brows? If you could do them before their busiest day (Im guessing a sat) so clients can see the results, hairdressers can up sell the service.

I know & don't blame you for not wanting to discount any services, but what about a party package hands, toes & a tan for a small discount but your selling 3 treatments hopefully encouraging a higher spend & getting people to try a new service.

Sorry if I'm just repeating what you've already tried.

Xx

steph the before and after book in the waiting area is a really great idea!
i already do half price treatments for the stylists and when they have nice glittery nails it does draw comments from their clients, just not a lot of bookings as yet.
I've offered 10% off to staff in local businesses.
I've advertised a discounted party package for tan nails and lashes.
the stylists always talk me up to their clients so they've been great and my leaflets are around the salon. im honestly doing as much as i can think of to promote myself.
i like your idea of a booklet in the waiting area, will definitely get one of those!
great ideas thank you!

No problem, can you tan yourself? Or even do the stylists at cost? Loads of people are scared tans wont look natural... My auntie was one, I gave her a free trial 2 xmas ago, she now has about 4 a year (yes wont make me rich) but thats more than id have ever got before.

Ive lost count of the free nostril waxes I've given when people are having another waxing service & everyone of them has had it again 😊. Its a service non of them would have asked for or tried!

In summer I make sure my best friend has beautiful toes & she always recommends them & gets me bookings.

Xx

i might offer the odd free tan for the stylists to promote it. you're full of ideas, thanks again!

i might offer the odd free tan for the stylists to promote it. you're full of ideas, thanks again!

No problem, Its nice to be able to share ideas. Xx

I know exactly how you are feeling, I've been in business now for roughly 18th months and my last christmas was sooo disheartening, people not showing left right and center people swapping all over the place, clients trying to pull fast ones looking for a cheap deal…. October was shocking for me , November wasn't much better, first 2 weeks of Dec were quiet too…..

I very very very nearly threw the towel in and went looking for a new job. I handed in my notice but my landlord did not want me to leave and offered me one month free rent (January) , i decided i would accept the offer and see what i felt like at the end of January and I am SOOOO glad that I did.

I won't lie , i'm not making millions . I would say at this present week (18 months in ) I am probably averaging making minium wage every week , however i am investing a lot of that money straight back into the business and feel i am finally getting somewhere with it :) I plan on making a decent wage next year ! yeay for me ;)

Today was a great day in the salon, I've been quiet all week but had a really busy day today all filled with lovely regulars of mine, and it's days like today that make me realize what i have to gain by keep going.

I still have my little wobbles where i feel like I work every hour god sends for nothing, but I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and starting to enjoy work , instead of worrying if i will make enough money to cover the rent (which is what i did for the first year every single week !!! )

Give it at least a year if not two, DO NOT lower your prices if you think you are worth the money then charge it , I am double the price of any salon in 10 mile radius for make up and refused to lower my prices to match the other salons because they simple don't have a patch on me. I know I am worth the money , and have quiet a lot of regulars for make up now and also a lot of referrals.

Chin up Chick , this is the hardest part nearly over for you, i'm sure things will improve soon xx

Latest posts

Back