Do have to be qualified hairdresser to offer hair up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlamourGirl

Reaction score
My local college is offering a short hair up course covering basic plaiting and hair-up styles using knotting, twisting and plaiting techniques. I'm too late to apply for the level 2 VRQ now, so will have to wait till next year for that. But wondering if I did this short course if I could offer hair up styles alongside nails and manicures/pedicures etc for a business in the future?

I am not a hair geek but feel able to answer this question for you because I investigated it myself to offer alongside bridal makeup.

I think what you need to do is check to see if the short course at your college rewards you a certificate to use for insurance purposes. You will need public liability insurance to do hairups on the paying public as this line of work usually involves using heated curlers, curling/flat irons. You don't want to find yourself getting sued for burning somebody's cheek using ghd's.

I did a one day work shop in bridal hairups, but it did not give a certificate of any kind. I enjoyed the experience but have not added hairups to my portfolio.

No you don't have to be qualified! Intact anyone can go buy hair products, open a salon and do hair on paying clients with no qualification as there is NO LAW to say they can't!!! Scary huh?

I went back to college in 2009 and found this out after doing beauty for years!

I'd contact your insurance company or one you would like to use and ask if you would be covered if you trained on this course!

Good luck x

I have run short courses on plaiting etc. Given how some people struggle to master basic techniques when not used to handling hair, I would be very surprised if you were good enough to charge people after being shown for just one day!

It is correct that you dont need a cert to do hair, however, the public are extremely unforgiving when it comes to their hair. If you are slow or unsure, people don't put up with it.

Its a 2 month course that covers blow drying and basic haircare as well as hair up styles, so should have a little bit more time than on a 1 day course, its 20 hours split into 7 weeks x

Course you could do it, but one thing I find ladies are picky about is their hair up's as it's usually for a special occasion like a wedding, christening, birthday etc. It's quite a fast pace section of hairdressing meaning that styles change with the seasons so you have to keep on the ball with what's happening on the catwalk or else you could end up being 'old fashioned' fairly quickly. I find you have to be pretty quick also, which comes with experience - so practice practice practice! Get yourself a block to try out new things and good luck :)

Latest posts

Back