Do I need planning permission?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fufu

Reaction score
:green::green::green::green:
Hi everyone!
im new and a wee bit nervous....have been checking this website out for months and have to confess its a God send!
All you guys are so cool and so informative! It makes life soooo much easier for me! if only id known this website and u guys existed long ago it wouldve made my life so much easier but hey no worries i found u now! lol :)
Anyway...i know its kinda common sense to get planning permission before u convert a room into something else however im not so sure after reading a thread on here earlier..it changed my whole overview..:confused:
The dilema is...i want to start up a beauty usiness from home and would like to convert my garage into a beauty room..the thing is do i really need to inform the council? considering i will only have one client at a time? plus i have a driveway where 2 cars can be parked and only one space is occupied and the other is free...basically my point is, is it worth asking the council and trying to get planning because they may just refuse?!!!!
please help!
i really am way toooo confused and dont know which way to turn!:cry:
P.S, thanx sooo much for all your tips and advice! keep it up!:hug:

Hiya and welcome to the site :hug:

You would need planning permission yes and sometimes the council can charge qwite allot. It would be best to ring your council and see how they go about it thats if they was to let you as some dont. I wish you lots of luck and hope you can do this ( im thinking of doing the same too)

xx

:eek:
hmmm....theres me trying to avoid contacting the council! but i gues i have no choice but to dive in deep and do what i have to do! i think il go visit them tomorrow instead...its better when its face to face..wish me luck...im just too scared theyl say NO and then that will shatter my dreams! boo hoo!
good luck to u too petal.xxx:hug:

I know its something we would all love to avoid but life isnt that easy lol. It could get you into big trouble if you didnt so its best to be safe.

I really do hope they let you...But as long as you post us some pics when its all done up :lol: xxx

Hi hun....if your converting your garage into a beauty room then you would need to tell the council....you need to make that room good and not like a garage......also ...if it is a garage now...you will have to block the doors up ......just pop into your local council and ask......why do you think they will say no?? x

hi ya!
thanks for chatting! you peeps are sooo sweet! awww
anyway getting back to y issue...well i just feel theyl say no because i came across a thread on here and the council refused the poor woman planning!?
i just feel they will be really stubborn and arsy about it as ive come across some ppl who have had bad experience with the council when it came to planning permission..but im sure it wont be as bad as im making out because evrybody on here seems to be chilled out about it which is reassuring to me as im dead nervous..
maybe its because i want this sooo bad and have been planning it in my wee brain to set up this venture for sooo long that i dont want know one or nothing to jeopardise it thats all...but i spose theres only one way of finding out...
il be visiting the council first thing tomorrow morning no doubt and see what happens...
wish me luck. take care x

I know some people who have converted there garage into another room......maybe the other peoples planning was for extensions.....let us know how you get on xxx

Hiya Fufu!

You do not need planning permission to convert a garage into a room. You may or may not need planning permission to convert a room into a salon. It all depends on how many clients you will be seeing, how often, at what time of the day and it depends on the opinion of your local council as it would appear from previous threads that they all have a different take on this.

Good luck:hug:

Em

hey!
thanks for your feedback! now you see why its soooo confusing! because half the peeps say i do need planning and others say i dont! i personally think i dont but thats just me trying to make my life easier! lol
really and truley its the council to blame as they should all have the same rules and regulations and ought to obide by them and nt alter them according to the individual who woke up from the wrong side of the bed! dont these council employees follow some kind of script!!!! they all need their heads banging together! lol
maybe i need to hit the sack because i am going to the council office first thing in the morning!
il need more than a good nights sleep to face those creepy crawlies! hehehe
anyway thanks agen hun...chat soon x

good luck and let us know how you go on:)

Hiya Fufu!

You do not need planning permission to convert a garage into a room. You may or may not need planning permission to convert a room into a salon. It all depends on how many clients you will be seeing, how often, at what time of the day and it depends on the opinion of your local council as it would appear from previous threads that they all have a different take on this.

Em

Hi,
Im afraid this isn't always true. It is always best to contact your council before converting a garage. Mainly because there could be a condition on your house that you cannot convert (i know this as my mum works in the local planning office and also my friend could not convert her garage to a room as there was a condition on her house). You may also need approval by building regulations.
I know of houses that have converted their garages and then they try to sell their house and they cant until they have converted the room back to a garage, a very costly task.

My advice is to ask your local planning office directly, they can give you loads of advice and also it differs depending on where you live.
Also have a look at this website:
Planning Portal and
Planning Portal - Garage Conversion
Planning Portal - BR: Garage Conversion

Hiya Fufu!

Em

:eek: This is not always true. :eek:

It may differ from council to council.

I have had to get planning permission to convert one of my garages.

Had to get an architect to draw up the plans and then had to submit them into the council.

But I got a letter today to say that my permission has been granted :p:p:p

I am so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeesed !

I can now talk to my builder an arrange a date for the work to start.

Its always best to check hun, as the others have said..........the general rule of thumb is that if you are converting ANY part of your home for a purpose than originally intended (eg, loft to bedroom, garage to home office etc.....) then you will need to gain planning permission, and in some circumstance may also be required to adhere to building regulations too.........it can be very costly but it's not worth the risk by not doing it, a local couple recently had to have their massive log cabin pulled down as they had not got permission for it,,,,it cost them a fortune..................:irked:

when I wanted to run my business from home I rang the council and they said put it in writing, they wanted to know
the size of the room, what alterations i would be doing, what work i would be doing,how many staff there, how many clients a week, was there any of road parking areas for clients,hours of work, so many questions they wanted to know but they gave me a thumbs up after about 3 months they finally sent me paperwork through the post to say I could set up and run my salon from home. I did not think they would allow it but I would rather have been up front and tell them my plans than for someone to get jelous and report me then they can shut you down its not worth it. hope all goes well for you. good luck.

It probably depends on your local council. I would ring them to find out. They will also be able to advise if you need permission to conduct a business from home, if it is likely to affect your council tax or anything else that may not have even crossed your mind. I spoke to my tutor a while back, she contacted the local council about opening a salon from home and they were fine about it, as long as she informed them. It might be the same where you live. The worst they can say is no, in which case, its probably a good thing that you didn't just go ahead without contacting them!

Don't forget to contact your home insurance provider too if you are changing from purely residential to residential and business under the same roof you may need extra cover. You will certainly need public liability and treatment cover.

I wouldn't be scared, phone your local planning office and ask for an appointment with an adviser.
Take a couple of rough sketches along mark out the size of the garage, how far away from next doors place, and what you want to do with it, i.e put a window in, wall half way along, a radiator etc.
And explain that you are not set on this yet it is just you chewing over idea's to see what is possible.
Also ask them what they recomend for a home business for insurance.
My home content insurance is seperate from what I will have for the home salon.
I found it was a hell of a lot cheaper that way.
Good luck hun:hug:

Will you be getting rid of the garage doors? A friend converted her garage, she kept the original doors and built a false wall behind. From the outside looks like a garage, from the inside a beatiful private salon.

Advantage of this is if she wants to sell the house it is a quick and cheap job to remove the wall, and of course you aren't making any structural changes to the house.

Mat

Hi guys just wondered if any1 knows if it would be the same for a summer house/log cabin?
I am starting a mobile business but in time i would really like to get a summer house or something in my garden and maybe do some treatments from there, if anyone has any ideas about what i would have to do in order to do that please let me know.
Any if anyone knows of what licence's i would need aswell that would be fab!

Thanks in advance
Katy

You should not open a salon from home without telling the council. It's not just planning permission that has to be approved, you may or may not have to pay business rates.

Health and safety rules and regulations have to be followed and as part of this the council will want to know about you, should they want to call in and do an inspection.

Never be afraid of contacting your council, for help and advise, you will find them very helpful... Do things behind their back and it's a different matter:eek:

It's not just planning permission, it's building regs as well. And you'll probably have to pay council rates, you'll also need to inform your insurance and probably make provision for fire safety (such as an extinguisher/fire blanket)... And that's just off the top of my head...

And yes, sadly this would normally apply to outbuildings as well.

Don't be afraid to call the council, they're like the tax man - always willing to help, if you genuinely need it. But mess them around because you're too lazy to do it properly (or trying to avoid the leg work/bills) and you'll be in a mess bigger than you would ever imagine!

I have several business' and had a problem with sorting my accounts out once and got a threatening letter from them - one quick phone call to explain and ask for advice and the tone was completely changed! So long as you're not trying to evade/avoid them, they're normally friendly.

Latest posts

Back