Do I need planning permission?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I contacted planning and they said I would have to submit an application for 'change of use', there is a charge for nearly £400. I am not making any changes to the structure of the property, just using a downstairs room. My clients walk through the porch and into the beauty room on the left.

My friend who is a beautician also works from home, she has set up in a bedroom. I was annoyed an confused when she told me planning authorised the use of a living room or bedroom for her business and she didn't have to pay any application fee or business rates.
I have notified my insurance people and mortgage provider. There were no additional charges but mortgage company said I couldn't run a LTD company from and no signs on the outside of the property. Hope that helps

Since this thread was posted over 8 years ago, hopefully the OP and other posters have now sorted their planning issues ;)

Since this thread was posted over 8 years ago, hopefully the OP and other posters have now sorted their planning issues ;)
I am new to salon geek...I didn't realise the dates on any of the threads I have been commenting on. You never know a newbie might find it helpful still

I am new to salon geek...I didn't realise the dates on any of the threads I have been commenting on. You never know a newbie might find it helpful still

Very true. However, if you want a specific question answering, you might be better starting a new thread rather than tagging onto an old one.

In relation to your planning comment, does your friend come under a different planning authority?

Depending on how obvious you are, neighbours complaining, if planning is required (i think it is as it is a change of use) and they visit then they will give you a period of time to convert it back. No fine. Feign ignorance. You can also apply for planning at this stage. Planning are concerned with the effect in the local area regards parking etc so your good there. Whatever you do, make sure you put in a fire alarm, have a fire extinguisher nearby etc. This is what annoys the council. Also, keep some documentation that you have done the work with the dates because, after a certain period of time, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. Yes, you do need to tell your home insurer but this is open to interpretation. You don't have to pay business rates as Mr Osborne's changes give full relief. I own a 4 floor business and will be getting full relief next year currently paying £380 per month. http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/news/stories/budget-announces-cuts-to-business-rates-from-2017/

When it comes to planning permission never 'feign ignorance'. It is no defence.

Contact your council and do everything above board and by the rules. As soon as you start trading and advertising you will get noticed especially by your local parish council.

It's nothing to be afraid of. Quite straight forward and then you can grow your business without worry of being found out.

Good luck

When it comes to planning permission never 'feign ignorance'. It is no defence.

Contact your council and do everything above board and by the rules. As soon as you start trading and advertising you will get noticed especially by your local parish council.

It's nothing to be afraid of. Quite straight forward and then you can grow your business without worry of being found out.

Good luck
Just to add, i own this exact type of property and have discussed it with a planning consultant. In fact, your best bet would be to call a planning consultant first to know your options.

Latest posts

Back