DO you leave or remove???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEEKY CHICO

Reaction score
Hiya people,
Going back to an earlier post of mine (re ...how long) if you read it you know the story, well heres an update.
My lil cute receptionist has now had all the remaining intack nails removed and as she has quite long natural nails decided just to have her own nails layered with a gel pink and white after the last disaster.
Now, once again she asked for my opinion...i just said hmmmmm...and she knew what i meant. She had gone somewhere different this time but was still charged 40 quid for what to a very novice untrained eye was a completely disgraceful job. God knows what a trained eye would have thought, mine is not fully trained yet, but very self critical and thats how it's staying.
And here's my point.......surely whoever is doing these knows what the end result should look like??
Now i'm sure at some stage nearly all of you would do a clients set and look at them afterwards and think, "that was NOT one of my good days"
So...if you are not happy with them :cry: and you know it, would you say to them, look, i'd just like to redo that one or this one as i'm not pleased with it....or would you just send them on their merry way hoping you do a better job on the next person and hoping whoever sees them doesnt be as critical as you?
Yes...i maybe very new to all this, but i can see what is good and what isn't, but this comes from my catering background where you eat with your eyes, if it looks good , you want it. Principals are the same, if whoever looks at your work thinks its great, they will come back.
And just for the record, i'm airbrushing a french on her natural nail in future as i know that will look good, until i perfect my l&p french that is!!..and yeah, she's getting it free as i feel so sorry for her.
At least that way i know she will NOT have anymore dissapointments, so i will be happy for her. (and she'll be able to buy more hay for that horse!!, poor half stalved dobin!!!)

good job she has you to be her 'knight in shining armour'!!!

I think we all have good days and bad days, but there are definately very different standards of technicians up and down the country.

At least you have the ability to spot a good (or bad) job when you see one.

This will help you 'strive to be the best' when you feel more confident with your products and start working on the public.

Some salons i suppose it will be a time issue - she should go back and complain.

Hth

Ambx

Hiya

I have done the odd nail and though it wasnt 100 % but thats because i know what faults i am looking for...my clients dont. I am not going to sit there and say to her...ohhh sorry the apex is a little low on that nail or the smile line on that one is a little to high. My clients want to feel they are with a confident and qualified nail tech, not someone who is going to pick fault with there own work. If it was a major problem then i would replace it....but i still wouldnt go into all the reasons why...I'd just say i wasn't happy with the way it sat on the nail.
Sometimes you can talk yourself into trouble...best bet say nothing as the client is unaware anyway and learn from it....so you dont do it again.
We all have off days...we are human, but you dont want to make the client feel insecure.
Wait till your off that trainer Timmi and are face to face with ya clients...its a whole new ball game.

(and she'll be able to buy more hay for that horse!!, poor half starved dobin!!!)[/QUOTE]

Is that her horse or your high horse? :wink2:

Anyway, in answer to your post. Whenever I've had a set of nails done, I tell them what I want................the same as when I go to the hairdresser. I make it very clear exactly how long, how thin, what shape I want them and I don't even think about getting outta that chair until they're how I like. I'm a lovely client, I'm friendly, chatty and a good tipper so hopefully they don't mind too much.

There is also the other problem that some people don't know what's good and what's not. If they're used to going to a fifteen quid a set merchant, they expect them to be thick and look like shovels coz they think that's right.

If I was'nt happy with the work I did, I WOULD tell the client. I allways did when I did hairdressing. If the end result was'nt what I expected, I would tell the client, and most of the time they had'nt noticed. But I want my conscience to be clear, and if I don' like the work I do, how can I expect other people to. I believe, you have to judge your work 1st and be happy with it, before other people are. Unfortunately, not everyone's the same though. For most people, money is more important than good quality work.

GlitzyGirl said:
If I was'nt happy with the work I did, I WOULD tell the client. I allways did when I did hairdressing. If the end result was'nt what I expected, I would tell the client, and most of the time they had'nt noticed. But I want my conscience to be clear, and if I don' like the work I do, how can I expect other people to. I believe, you have to judge your work 1st and be happy with it, before other people are. Unfortunately, not everyone's the same though. For most people, money is more important than good quality work.

So you would really point it out? didnt anyone ever question why you were pointing out the fact you hadnt done a job as well as you could have?

Dont get me wrong i have done work i am occasionally not happy with but i wouldnt say to my client....ooh look thats not so good and that bits not quite right. It doesnt fill them will confidence really does it? Also if my hairdresser said oh that bits wrong or that bits not quite right....i would sit there and say well you get paid for it when it is right then love !!!

This is Not a dig glitzygirl just a difference of opinion!!

Amb xxxxxxx

MINKUS said:
So you would really point it out? didnt anyone ever question why you were pointing out the fact you hadnt done a job as well as you could have?

Dont get me wrong i have done work i am occasionally not happy with but i wouldnt say to my client....ooh look thats not so good and that bits not quite right. It doesnt fill them will confidence really does it? Also if my hairdresser said oh that bits wrong or that bits not quite right....i would sit there and say well you get paid for it when it is right then love !!!

This is Not a dig glitzygirl just a difference of opinion!!

Amb xxxxxxx

It's o.k. Amber,

I know what you mean. Luckily I've never had anything major go wrong, but I'll give you an example. Some people have hair that just won't blow-dry easily. Now, some hairdressers might say "sorry, but you're hair just wont style easily" and leave it at that. When you say that, you're blaming the client for having hair like that which makes them uncomfortable. But I used to say "I am sorry, but I don't like the way I've done that bit, so I'll just go over it again". I know you'll probably say, I am letting myself down, but to me that shows the customer I care about the work I do. After all, you don't want her going out with hair you're not happy with, you'll be losing more customers that way. With nails, say you applied too much product to one of the nails and it obviously looks thicker than the others. Would you say to your client "don't worry it does'nt show much, once you've got polish on" or would you say "this one's a little bit thicker, I'll just buff it down for you"? I think being honest gives your customer more confidence in you. But then, that's just my own opinion, and I've never lost a client through honesty. However, I am sure some others would'nt aggree with me.

I hope I could explain myself, I don't want any1 getting me wrong.

GlitzyGirl said:
It's o.k. Amber,

I know what you mean. Luckily I've never had anything major go wrong, but I'll give you an example. Some people have hair that just won't blow-dry easily. Now, some hairdressers might say "sorry, but you're hair just wont style easily" and leave it at that. When you say that, you're blaming the client for having hair like that which makes them uncomfortable. But I used to say "I am sorry, but I don't like the way I've done that bit, so I'll just go over it again". I know you'll probably say, I am letting myself down, but to me that shows the customer I care about the work I do. After all, you don't want her going out with hair you're not happy with, you'll be losing more customers that way.
With nails, say you applied too much product to one of the nails and it obviously looks thicker than the others. Would you say to your client "don't worry it does'nt show much, once you've got polish on" or would you say "this one's a little bit thicker, I'll just buff it down for you"? I think being honest gives your customer more confidence in you. But then, that's just my own opinion, and I've never lost a client through honesty. However, I am sure some others would'nt aggree with me.
I hope I could explain myself, I don't want any1 getting me wrong.

Hiya...with your nail example above...no i wouldn't say anything...i would just buff it down. I am not saying i wouldn't rectify a mistake, i am saying that i wouldn't bring attention to it. After all the client is expecting you to do a good job, not patch up things you have done wrong. xxx

NailStyle said:
Hiya...with your nail example above...no i wouldn't say anything...i would just buff it down. I am not saying i wouldn't rectify a mistake, i am saying that i wouldn't bring attention to it. After all the client is expecting you to do a good job, not patch up things you have done wrong. xxx

The client is going to notice what's wrong anyway, so personally I think it's better to just talk about it. We can all make a mistake, and clients are'nt that cruel, they can be understanding. Well, I never had honesty backfire on me anyway. We all have different ways of dealing with situations, and this is mine. Not that I am saying you're not honest. Please don't get me wrong. But I just like to talk things through.

My way of handling such situation would be:

If customer did not complain, and the work is not too badly done, i would leave it at that.

If the customer complain and the work is not too badly done, i would say that nail sculpting is afterwork a handiwork and to get it right and exactly the same everything is not always possible. However there are nail techs like Tom Holcombs that can do it right and duplicate it everytime.
(If the customer complain in a nasty way:)
If i am one of those that can do it right everytime, i wouldn't be here charging you ## pounds per set. I would be around world competing and charging a heavenly figure for every "Perfect" Set i perform. DO you agree?

(If the customer complains in a nice and polite way)
Of course i strive to be like Tom Holcombs but that takes time and lots of practice which i am doing it already. I hope you can bear with me for the time being. I appreciate your business and your patience.

Hahaha!!!

GlitzyGirl said:
The client is going to notice what's wrong anyway, so personally I think it's better to just talk about it. We can all make a mistake, and clients are'nt that cruel, they can be understanding. Well, I never had honesty backfire on me anyway. We all have different ways of dealing with situations, and this is mine. Not that I am saying you're not honest. Please don't get me wrong. But I just like to talk things through.

Latest posts

Back