Drills?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieLHN

Reaction score
Hi everyone, l just had a quick look at beautytech.com, and they have a post called "dremel drill from walmart for occasional use on acrylic" and from the repiles sounds like a few of them use dremels for nails. l prefer hand files, but l did'ent think you could use those as they are diy tools! have a look and see what you think, theres a link on the home page in GMG's report about ebay, (don't know how to do a link!) xx

There are some habits you hear about from 'across the pond' that you just do not want to pick up!!

It all comes down to education. Once that you learn "the slower the rpm's of a drill, the more harsh and rough that drill will be on the nail you will understand why not to use a non professional item such as the Dremmel which should never be used during a nail service as the rpm's are too slow.

High speed drill are more expensive but kinder. I think many US techs use the dremmel because it is cheap compared to a professional model and they don't know any different.

Would a dentist use a Dremmel??? Would you want him to? Dentists have to use high speed drills for obvious reasons. Think of how that Dremmel would feel in your mouth and that's how it feels to the nail plate. Hobby drills are A no no for nails.

I could'ent agree more, what must their clients think when they pull a dremmel out their bag!!

Omg If they use dremmels, They will be using sanders next to smooth the nail.

I went to the States a few years ago and decided to have my nails done....as this was where it all started it must be the best!!!!!! How wrong I was :eek: My friend, who lives there, had her nails done all of the time in this 'salon' (& I use the term loosley!!) When I saw the Dremmels hanging on the desks I knew I should have walked out ... :Scared: ... but no, I went ahead.

Suffice to say it took SIX months for my nails to get back into good condition....in other words the whole plate was damaged and it had to grow out completely...so beware :irked:

If only I had known then what I know now .....I wouldn't have gone within sniffing distance of the shop :mad:

Angie said:
Hi everyone, l just had a quick look at beautytech.com, and they have a post called "dremel drill from walmart for occasional use on acrylic" and from the repiles sounds like a few of them use dremels for nails. l prefer hand files, but l did'ent think you could use those as they are diy tools! have a look and see what you think, theres a link on the home page in GMG's report about ebay, (don't know how to do a link!) xx
I saw that post and actually, most of the posters---including the ones who've used them---are advising against it. I coudn't agree more.

I wouldn't even think about using a drill on acrylic nails at all let alone on a natural nail. If you use your product the way you should, and use a good product like EZ Flow or Creative, you wouldn't have the need to use a drill of any kind. I think it was Geeg that said you sculpt and shape with your brush not your file. I know this takes time to learn the skill of it, but i think its so much better for the nail.

When you apply your L&P you should only need to slightley buff the nail to make sure its smooth and ready to be buffed to a shine. I would never use drills at all. I know some people do, and i think as long as you are properly trained and use a proper nail drill, then thats everyone's personal preference, but i personally wouldn't. IMHO.

talented talons said:
I wouldn't even think about using a drill on acrylic nails at all let alone on a natural nail. If you use your product the way you should, and use a good product like EZ Flow or Creative, you wouldn't have the need to use a drill of any kind. I think it was Geeg that said you sculpt and shape with your brush not your file. I know this takes time to learn the skill of it, but i think its so much better for the nail.

When you apply your L&P you should only need to slightley buff the nail to make sure its smooth and ready to be buffed to a shine. I would never use drills at all. I know some people do, and i think as long as you are properly trained and use a proper nail drill, then thats everyone's personal preference, but i personally wouldn't. IMHO.
I think that about sums it up!!!!!
I also think that NSS and talentless techs make this (DRILLS) look like it is way more important than it is.

I kinda don't get what you guys are saying. I use a dremel...like an industrial one. It has a dial for changing speeds and it goes fast enough...I don't put it on the highest speed setting either.

So are you saying not to use an industrial tool, but to get oen specifically for nails? Or are you saying the opposite?

I like what talented talons has said.
I dream about buying a good quality drill...cause i THINK it will speed things up for me. But i have never used one. I would like to think that i will be talented enough one day to not need one.

It makes sense that if you apply your product right, you dont need one, cause you only need to buff off the shine and taper down the free edge a little. Also, beign a mobile tech, a drill wold be one more item to cart around the country side.

I was in canberra the other weekend..so i sat out the front of this nail bar (like 12 nail talbes, waiting for drop inns) and watched them for a while.

They all used drills. One lady took 35 minutes preparing a set of acrylics with a drill for an infill. To me that does not sound like a time saver. No offence intended to anyone who uses drills. :)

I read this thread and thought it was a hoot!

The only place I have ever seen dremels being used was in an NSS. Dremel is now making drills designed for nail enhancements. Although, I would never buy one.... for the mere fact that it says dremel. I truly believe that the use of dremels (not the kind dremel designed for nails...which I know nothing about) is the exception here in the states and not the standard.

Most dremels operate at very high rpm's. In fact, many are much to high to ever be used on an acrylic nail much less a natural nail. Using a drill at too high or too low can be very damaging.

Also, drills are not intended to be used any differently than files. They are not intended to be used to compensate for lack of skill. They are meant to be used the same as a file is used. You can do alot of damage to a someone's nails with a drill if you are uneducated in the use of it. You can also do alot of damage with a file if you are uneducated with it. It certainly does boil down to education.

If you start out doing nails with a file and I think most/all of us do then you will be more efficient with a file until you learn the proper use of the drill. I use one just as well as I do the other but it has only come with practise and education. I admit I prefer the file though. The main thing about a drill is the balance and vibration (or lack of vibration). A drill needs to have a perfectly balanced bit and spin perfectly balanced with little or no vibration... which eliminates the lifting and grooves it would make in the nail if it did not.

Unethical practises in the nail industry don't come from countries they come from individuals.

Oh, and one more thing...we use sander for the callouses on our feet and not our nails! :wink2: :biggrin: Just kidding.

Judy

geeg said:
It all comes down to education. Once that you learn "the slower the rpm's of a drill, the more harsh and rough that drill will be on the nail you will understand why not to use a non professional item such as the Dremmel which should never be used during a nail service as the rpm's are too slow.

High speed drill are more expensive but kinder. I think many US techs use the dremmel because it is cheap compared to a professional model and they don't know any different.
That's interesting because there was a woodworker/nailtech on beautytech that said the exact opposite-----that DREMEL is too fast and would butcher the nail in one stroke. I find that easier to believe since I've seen Dremels that boast 35,000 rpms much like the ones that hang in NSS salons.

Before everyone if finished slamming american tech's for using the dremmell, I thought that you should know that I trained at a very reputable academy for 360 hours before I could become a nail tech in Florida about 10 years ago, (no one day courses there) and it was madatory to learn how to use a drill properly and safely during your course. The drill that everyone trained on and was the industry standard was the Dremmell. It was a specially designed drill exclusively for use in the salons and you wouldn't take it home and tap into the wall with it! I live in the UK now so am not up do date on thier equipment, but maybe we don't slam them before having all the info. I agree that some people are unsafe and NSS salons should be closed, like yesterday, but it's a drill for goodness sake and the Dremmell company makes drill's!

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have had 2 experiences in the US with the Dremmel drill and nail technicians, and both used a battery operated model which they kept on a charger and it did nothing like 35,000 rpm's. Not even close. It was possible to feel the vibration and hear how rough it was.

Both technicians operated in Sarasota Florida. One was mobile and one worked in a salon. Now that is my experience. My post was not slamming American technicians in general, just as I said SOME habits are best not picked up. By the way I am an American.

I admit I did not know that Dremmel made high speed drills now, but my post I think makes it abundantly clear that I was talking about hobby drills being a no no for nails and not drills made for use on nail enhancements. Everyone is so quick to pounce rather than to actually read the post clearly.

I still think that using hobby drills is a habit not to pick up (something I did see twice in Sarasota) and I know from the experts that too low an rpm is damaging. If people wish to jump to conclusions and take offense, then that is up to them but I think it is quite clear to anyone that I was not speaking generally about all US technicians, and I was speaking specifically about hobby drills.

Hello all,

I am so glad i read this, i got a drill set thingy from kleeneze b4 i trained and its a mains operated filing system, i have just read the sticker on the adaptor and its got output dc 3V 580mA 1.74VA. it has 6 changable heads for different uses and costs £15.00 i havent used it yet as i wasnt sure, but i think i am gonna bin it. Its not a proffesional tool, like a home manacure kit but i wonder how many peeps damage their own nails with things like this.

Yikes...I have heard that before and can't imagine! A dremmel is a diy tool ( drill ) not a professional beauty implement. I like to call my errr....drill....an 'electirc file' it's a less offensive term. Nobody wants to have their nails 'drilled'.

I use my drill and i use my dremmell. The dremmel is for the top of the acrylic only. I use the gold barrell on it to clean the cuticle area after acrylics are applied. This is wonderful. It is all about if your client is a person or a dollar sign. You will take care not to hurt them. I actually find that my drill burns me more than the dremmell. Then there are the standards that are taught at your institution. Some teach the drill. but you will learn with the file first. You go to school for 3-6 months to become a nail tech so you are comfortable before you start charging. Those are the standards across the water. Here in Germany there are no standards but alot of opinions. But hey, you live and learn and do what works best ( not for you) but for your clients.

Chanda

So exactly what are the ideal speeds to use when doing nails? It seems like using the drill at very high speeds would create quite a bit of heat and might even be dangerous as you could file right through a softer gel product.

Latest posts

Back