Drunk client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had this thankfully, but I think a lot is down to how you address people... I used to do St Johns and was Ambulance trained and there are times you just can't blurt out "are you hammered luv?" - I find you CAN ask things like "you seem a little unsteady, I don't mean to pry but is there any reason I should know about? I'm only asking as if anything SHOULD happen I want to make sure I know what's going on, that's all" - say it with a nice smile and don't sound judging... If they look embarrassed then diffuse it with "I'm only asking because it can get a little slippy and I don't want you to hurt yourself so I will just take a bit extra care, but for insurance I should really know if there is something that might affect your balance?"

So much though is in the manner of how you ask :)

Who'd have known the years of asking under age concert goers of they had taken anything would one day come in handy for beauty LOL If ever there is a group of people who won't tell you what they've done it's your 15 year olds who've had a spliff LOL

My mum has multiple sclerosis, some days she is fine and some days she can be very unstable and her speech slurred etc, people often make the assumption that she is drunk and she finds this humiliating.
The client in question may well have had a few drinks but there may also have been very legitimate reasons for her behaviour that she may have felt embarrassed to put on a consultation card or tell you xx

My mum has multiple sclerosis, some days she is fine and some days she can be very unstable and her speech slurred etc, people often make the assumption that she is drunk and she finds this humiliating.
The client in question may well have had a few drinks but there may also have been very legitimate reasons for her behaviour that she may have felt embarrassed to put on a consultation card or tell you xx

this is exactly what i was thinking.

i know a few clients who have this condition and it took a long time before they actually told me .

it is very easy to jump to conclusions , i have done it myself. unless there is a smell of alcohol off the person that would indicate they have been drinking i would just be extra mindful/aware with them

I have something called labyrinthitus which is inflammation in the ear canal every now and again it flairs up and I feel very wobbly like on a boat if I don't hold on to something I could fall. My partner says that I look funny when I have one!
It could be something like this I feel embarrassed when it happens and wouldn't want to say. They don't really give medication for it and I wouldn't put it on a consultation form.

Chances are she probably was a little worse for wear but people looking drunk are not always drunk, I had a bad "Bend" ( Decompression Illness) from Scuba Diving years ago which caused spinal and brain injuries. I walked and talked as if drunk for about six months after the paralysis wore off ( yes I also suffered paralysis due to a head injury a few years later to those of you that remember my previous story) It was awful having people treat me so disrespectfully but on the other hand I was ashamed to be in that situation, so people are not always forthcoming regarding their health or mental health issues and as professionals it is up to us to learn to "read between the lines" sometimes.

I remember returning to work once I was mobile enough and a colleague approaching me saying " My God, stop dragging your self about, how tired can you be? " She was mortified when I explained that 2 weeks before I had been in a wheelchair and was just proud to be able to "drag myself about"

On another note I remember falling out of plenty of other things than Spray tan tents due to intoxication so you decide what your customer was either suffering from or partaking of.

PS. Even my GP told me that I was very accident prone when registering. LOL

Latest posts

Back