Dying extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m a fully qualified hairdresser with many years experience, however I’m not trained in hair extensions but I wear Remi Cachet la weave myself. I dye mine just with semi permanent colours to add a bit of shine and tone. I’ve had a new client enquire who has the micro rings Remi Cachet and she wants to be two shades darker... lady said that in the after care packaging that it’s ok to dye them).Remi Cachet have advised again colouring of any kind incase it dissolves the bonds and ruins the hair despite it saying you can dye them on the aftercare package and I dye my la weave with semi permanent with no issues. I have been advised by my insurance to not colour this ladies hair extensions as I would not be following manufacturers instructions therefore will not support me therefore I have said I can’t do it. I will continue to dye mine with the semi (I of course know not to lighten at all on hair extensions). Do any of you guys dye hair extensions for clients?

Hey, I’ve always dyed hair extensions, il never colour them lighter, only darker or toners.
Never had a problem the extensions I’ve got in now I coloured before fitting to create a balayage effect to match my hair and still fab after 6 months. X

I do and havent had any probs yet!

I have been advised by my insurance to not colour this ladies hair extensions as I would not be following manufacturers instructions therefore will not support me therefore I have said I can’t do it.

I think you are very sensible to say ‘No’.
It’s obviously not a matter of knowing how to colour them. If just one client kicks up a fuss and demands compensation as well as a refund, you’d have to cover all cost (inc. legal fees) yourself as your insurance company have confirmed that they won’t cover you if you go against ‘manufacturers instructions’.
For the stress it causes, it’s just not worth the hassle.

I think you are very sensible to say ‘No’.
It’s obviously not a matter of knowing how to colour them. If just one client kicks up a fuss and demands compensation as well as a refund, you’d have to cover all cost (inc. legal fees) yourself as your insurance company have confirmed that they won’t cover you if you go against ‘manufacturers instructions’.
For the stress it causes, it’s just not worth the hassle.

Thank you, yes that’s what I thought... I would be liable for all of it which I’m not willing to do... think it’s naughty that they don’t state on the aftercare that ‘colouring is not advised however blah blah blah ....’ as stating hair can be coloured then saying something else on the phone is a bit of a contradiction xx

Thank you, yes that’s what I thought... I would be liable for all of it which I’m not willing to do... think it’s naughty that they don’t state on the aftercare that ‘colouring is not advised however blah blah blah ....’ as stating hair can be coloured then saying something else on the phone is a bit of a contradiction xx

Under no circumstances do we advertise or recommend that it is okay to colour or tone the hair, so I am unsure where your client may have seen this. The hair will more than likely be okay, however, we can't control how the hair is coloured/toned therefore we advise against it as if it isn't done professionally then it can cause severe damage to the hair extensions. We include this recommendation/advisory on all of our packaging, as well as in multiple places on our website.

764d13a04d5de241af5107773137acf6.jpg

Bulletpoint 7... it’s putting responsibility on professionals despite advising to not do it... it’s invalidates our insurance but this does not imply this on here.

I haven't dealt with this issue, but I think you made the right call to refuse. Even if you COULD do it, if you're not being protected insurance-wise it isn't worth the risk.

Under no circumstances do we advertise or recommend that it is okay to colour or tone the hair, so I am unsure where your client may have seen this. The hair will more than likely be okay, however, we can't control how the hair is coloured/toned therefore we advise against it as if it isn't done professionally then it can cause severe damage to the hair extensions. We include this recommendation/advisory on all of our packaging, as well as in multiple places on our website.

Pls see your aftercare instructions I’ve posted above.

Latest posts

Back