E-bay Scam! I was conned!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
thought I would post this incase it stops someone else getting conned the way I did! :o I am not normally the kind of person that falls for this type of thing but they got me!

I received an email from an ebay seller asking me why I hadnt paid for the item i'd won?? did I think they were a fool?? they would report me to ebay!!

I checked the item, it was a coin collection and nothing to do with me so I emailed them back and told them they had contacted me in error etc etc....big give away (apparantly) was that I had to sign into my account to view the item.....

Hubby smelt a rat and changed our password, but too late as we found out that 2 BMW's had been listed under my username, one for £17.000 one for about £7000!!! all singing all dancing adverts that cost us about £54 to list!!!

we have reported it to ebay and will await their response, the listings have also been closed. It makes me wonder what else they have access to? Paypal account? credit card details? scary stuff! we have changed every password we can and deleted credit cards from paypal so they cant be used so hopefully we have caught it in time..... only came to light because someone emailed us about the car we were selling! if they hadnt used the contact seller tab but used the info form half way down the listing we would be none the wiser! funny that we never got an email that the listings had been put on? cant get my head around the way it works so any of you PC geeks might be able to enlighten me? how would they get their paypal payment etc?? :?:

Just thought it may save someone else falling for it the way I did - and I am always wary of e-mails!

I get these emails all the time. I knew they were fake the first time I saw them because they were being sent to my email address that ebay does not have for me. Anyone that gets this sort of email must not click on any links it may have and forward them to [email protected]. hth xx.
It makes me sick what some people will do

its funny.... i just had a spoof pay pal email.... well thats what i thought it mite be.... so i clicked the link and did nothing... then opened a new box up and typed in the paypal addy and up comes the normal page... but on the 'real' pay pal page was my saved email addy.... this wasnt on the link i clicked via the email... so i have just forwarded the email to paypal

OMG!!! Theyre still at it arent they??

This is exactly what happened to me.
But they changed my trousers I was selling to 50 x samsung mobile phones and 35 x nokia's!!
buggars arent they? And they get away with it sometimes cos they say they only accept paypal which if you pay through there, theres no finding their location!
Glad you got it sorted. I noticed with these ads that have been revised to something completely different that they are in 2 categories... that have totally no relevance to each other!:eek:

So in future, if any geeks want to buy something like electrical,(plasma screens they do it with aswell) a good place to smell that rat is looking at the top at what categories its in.
HTH x

Also, ebay told me to only respond to a question that you see in your 'my ebay'. NEVER reply staright from your personal email where the copies are sent!

i guess they send you the spyware and can view everythings in your computer.i suggest you go to d/load .com to d.load the spyware Dr .and use it to scan your company after you online.thos antivirus software cant trease (dont know how to spell the correct word)it.so you need to use spyware.whose window pop up when we online it contain spy ware.tey and see. hope it will help you all.

thanks for letting us know about his hun, there are so many bad people out there who will do this kind of thing we have to be so carefull now days xx

I hope you don't mind me posting this on your thread but I didn't think it warranted a new thread!

We had an e-mail at work yesterday saying someone had purchased an item with a credit card and they were now trying to send us a back payment/refund to the card.

It didn't state the item but said the e-mail was confidential and to click on the link and type in the reference code of the item.

It is a scam - they will ask for the credit card no to confirm and then take your money!

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK - EVEN TO SEE IF THE WEBSITE IS GENUINE!

hi ya

i have been getting these over the past few weeks ?? i was in correspondence with the seller and advised them that i never placed a bid on any item, they kept coming back and i kept e-mailing back that i no nothing about it, not heard in the past week so i pressume it has been sorted but thanks for letting me know i did think it was a bit dodgy but not heard anything back as yet HTH x jules x

Oh Sherrie - you're not having much luck just now are you. Thanks for alerting us to this awful scam:hug: :hug:

kaney jules said:
hi ya

i have been getting these over the past few weeks ?? i was in correspondence with the seller and advised them that i never placed a bid on any item, they kept coming back and i kept e-mailing back that i no nothing about it, not heard in the past week so i pressume it has been sorted but thanks for letting me know i did think it was a bit dodgy but not heard anything back as yet HTH x jules x

well, just to be on the safe side I would change your password.

I didnt know anything had happened until I saw the items listed under my account :eek: It just frightens me what other information they can gain access to ie online banking, credit card details, paypal (and transfer loads of money!) etc etc....

we spent the whole of last night running spy ware etc and changing passwords for everything just to be sure.....

I was told that even if you click on the link to see if its a genuine email they can still get all your details so if you get emails like we do from every bank in the country, e-bay, pay pal etc etc DONT EVEN OPEN THEM, JUST DELETE!!

Didnt think they would catch me but they did! good tip about only responding in the 'my messages' rather than replying to the email though, will do that in future...

thanks sherrie will change my password better to be safe than sorry!

jules x

Thanks Sherrie for bringing our attention to this - Ii don't personally use ebay but hubby does - I will make him aware of it:hug:

Sorry to hear that you got conned Sherrie, hope you get sorted out with Ebay soon. :hug:

NOTICE FOR EVERYONE

To anybody that uses Ebay and/or Paypal, NEVER, EVER click on a link in an email. Always sign into your account from a new browser window, ie, Open a new window, enter the ebay web addy and sign in from there. It is the simplest thing in the world to make up an email with an Ebay or Paypal background, however if you hover over the supplied links you'll notice that they dont point at Ebay/Paypal.

Better still, learn how to recognize these scam emails and dont even allow them into your inbox. Use something like Mailwasher to view your mail before downloading it, just bin the stuff you dont want. Voilá, an inbox containing only important emails.... imagine that! :)

So then, we've all seen this info before, how come Sherrie got caught out now? The simple reason is that she's human and she most likely forgot. Why doesnt anyone who uses Ebay/Paypal make up an email right now, place this info into it and then send it to yourself. Once it arrives, make sure you keep it marked as 'unread' so that you dont delete it accidentally. If sometime down the line, you get something from ebay/paypal, simply open your info mail and you'll know what to do.​

So then, we've all seen this info before, how come Sherrie got caught out now? The simple reason is that she's human and she most likely forgot.​

Great info as usual Sean :hug: I didnt forget, I am always wary of emails but it looked so bloody convincing! It even has a link to report if you think its a scam! I have just been back and had another look at it and tried hovering over it but I still dont think I would have had any idea that it wasnt someone just contacting me in error!

Ebay have said they cant find any suspicious activity on my account, maybe it was someone else in the household? :evil: looks like we'll be billed the £54 listing fee then!

This happened to me without me giving information on an email, they can get your details from anywhere. Also I've just had someone buy a phone using my credit card - nice chap has caused a lot of hassle thank god the credit card company where hot on his tail.....

bloomin ek'
i always reply to the copies that go to my mail box :eek:
oh well i wont be doing it anymore...thankyou for the information ,im so sorry that it happend to you luv...i cant believe e-bay arnt going to do anything about it !!!

Latest posts

Back