egyptian hats

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joolz

Reaction score
hi all can anyone help please i keep getting "egyptian hat" when doing my finishing which takes a while to sort out does anyone have any tips to avoid (i cant go skillbuilding till june) all replies greatly appreciated
thanks

lordy I have never heard this term before, but I have visions of you sitting there finishing a set with a Tommy Cooper type read tassled hat on your head...

The trick is to keep your abrasive in a straight line when refining the side walls.

It's really hard to explain! I had a quick look at some of the pictures in the tutorials to see if I could find anything that shows the right angle to file at but I can't find anything :irked:

I'll see if I can find a picture to show you......

Joolz

I've taken a couple of pictures to show you, but I can't upload them. I've PM'd GMG to see if it's because the site is not ready for us to start doing that kind of stuff yet.

Sorry

Trin
xx

Soz to hijack the thread, but Trin, can you explain for us thicko's and newbies, what comprises an 'egyptian hat'? Just so I can look out for it and try to avoid it?!!! xxx

paws said:
lordy I have never heard this term before, but I have visions of you sitting there finishing a set with a Tommy Cooper type read tassled hat on your head...

pmsl

Yep i am with you there (just like that)lol

Ps i have heared of them but am poo at explaining things.( hope some one can explain this better for you.
Just made me laugh at the above vision. lol

Sorry Trin!
luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxxx

Blimey Joolz - look what you've started now!!! :D

Egypian hats refers to the shape of the nail where it's narrow at the cuticle end and slightly widens and flares out towards the end of the tip.

Some people shape them like that deliberately - I've heard them called 'shovel' shape - but that was before I was a nail tech and it could have been a crap tech trying to bluff her way out of badly shaped nails :lol:

The problem with egyptian hats is it spoils the form of the nail and makes it look quite wide. If you make sure your side walls stay in line then the enhancement looks long and slender, which also enlongates the finger.

A Geek posted some pictures of her nails a while back and she was advised to bring the side walls straighter, once she did it they were transformed into a beautiful set :D - for the life of me I can't remember who it was. I'll have a trawl through the photo gallery and see if I can find the pictures, it was a perfect example of how good they can look after a little tweeking.

Trin
xx

Right - got some pictures uploaded now - damn it's fast uploading them now :D

This is the right angle to hold your file and do the side walls to ensure no Egyptian hats

http://www.thenailgeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1826&catid=member&imageuser=471

This is the wrong angle and will cause them to flare

http://www.thenailgeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1827&catid=member&imageuser=471

Please excuse the picture quality - the phone was balanced on it's side on the table and I had to hold the file in place and press the button with my nose :lol:

Also excuse my nails, I'm struggling with the almond shaping despite Ketan's patience in teaching me :irked:

trin you're ace
joolz xxxxxxxxx

Right, so the key is to keep the file straight (vertical?) to keep the sides properly in line with the sidewalls of the natural nail? Am I getting it, or making a total prat of myself? :o xxx

Kitten said:
Right, so the key is to keep the file straight (vertical?) to keep the sides properly in line with the sidewalls of the natural nail? Am I getting it, or making a total prat of myself? :o xxx

Exactly right - no prats round here girl!!! :D

There ar 2 main causes of Egyptian Hat' nails ... the ones that flare out from the free edge ... so ugly and yucky!!

The first cause is choosing a tip that is too big for the client-
The second is piling on too much product in zone 1
and sometimes the technician does both --- double yucky.

Try to fit a tip or sculpt with the side walls perfectly in line with the natural nail sidewalls and then you will not have to file into shape.

Latest posts

Back