Facial Sponges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Please can fellow skin geeks tell me how they sanitize / sterilize facial sponges after treatments. I'm using about 8 a day at the moment, and wondering if / how you sterilize them?

Might sound a stupid question, put is soaking them in boiling water an option? Is the temperature sufficient enough to kill everything lurking in them?

Or does everyone just tend to throw them away?

Thanks so much

L-J

hey

i'm just setting up my mobile business so not got anything set up for cleaning sponges but when i was at college we would wash then under the hot tap then place them in the UV Cabinet for about 15 mins.

Buy Steristrom Junior UV Sanitizer from Beauty Express

There good for everything. When I was at college we probably had to put more things in it that what you would actually do when in a normal salon environment. We'd have to put cotton buds, pads, nail files, everything in really.

Also, when I was doing facials. I'd clean them at home using Milton. Just a small amount, your not meant to rinse after using Milton but I always did. If its safe for babies then it should be fine for sponges. My lecturer did say that some girls use detol and that she'd had one girl who'd used bleach. But, she used to much bleach and when she came to rinse them out they had disintegrated

Best to get as much use out of your sponges as you can, will save you a lot of money.

This has been brought up before. From what I can remember, some of us, me included, wash them in the machine with the towels. Having said that, a lot of us use towelling mitts

I am more of a fan of the trusted hot cabbi and mitts,with damp cotton wool for toner,than the facial sponges.....if i had facial sponges i would give them to the client at the end of the treatment,for hygeine reasons....:)

I wash mine with the salon towels at 60deg in the machine. I should think that is more than adequate.

I'm at college at the mo and we were told that washing in the machine with towels etc was hot enough etc to kill off any germs bacteria etc.

Kel -x-

I use steamed mitts.

I wash them in very hot soapy water then rinse them out in clean water. I pop them onto a plate and microwave for 1 minute.

:hug:

I thought that throwing them away after each one was a bit excessive. I'm on to washing with my towels.

Good thing I've been saving a few weeks worth up!

Latest posts

Back