Favour, then no show!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
I've just got to tell you guys about a so called client that rang me Thursday evening. She asked me some strange questions that made me think she could be another nail tech checking me out. I don't have a problem with this as we have all done it. It was when she asked me what i could tell her about acrylic that got me thinking. It wasn't a sort of question you normally get from jo public.

Anyway i told her what i would normally say, then she proceeded to tell me she worked near me and wondered if she could pop in Friday afternoon to have a fullset done. I am usually mobile which i said to her, but as i had an opening i said i was willing for her to visit me at home so she could have a set for the weekend. She booked an appointment for 4.15 for a fullset of L&P.

I had quite a busy day on the fiday, ut made sure i was ready and set up by 4pm. My hubby looked after our daughter for me so i wouldn't be disturbed when she arrived. The weird thing is, i had a feeling while i was setting up that she wasn't going to show, and sure enough she didn't!!

It really annoyed me as i was putting myself out for a client and she didn't have the decency to ring me to say somethig had held her up. Then i had a thought, that if this was another tech, would they really book an appointment they had no intentions of keeping???

I wondered if anything like this has happened to you guys, as this has shaken my confidence in people booking and being honest. I know this sounds silly, but it really annoyed me.

Just had to vent my feelings as i knew you would all understand.:evil:

This happened to me once very similar...
Another tech in my area was losing clients cos she was a bit over zealous with her filing....
She had a client who could only visit her 6pm on a Monday due to work commitments etc.
Anyway I got a call from her client (the Monday lady) asking if I could see her Monday at 6 and that she was going to cancel her usual tech as she was sick of being cut to shreads.
I told her I had the slot free and she said ok Ill get back to you.
Strangely I got another call from another lady a little later insisting she was booked in Monday at 6pm no other time, she also asked loads of questions etc and I booked her in.
She didnt turn up.
Anyway the Monday lady is now my client and she told me that when she called round she told the other tech she was going to book with me instead.
She said the other tech told her she would keep her booked in in case I wasnt available.
Yes you've guessed it it was the other tech on the phone booking me so her client could'nt!
I cant believe someone would stoop so low!

This is a mean and nasty trick for anyone to pull.

There once was a salon in Leeds .. and the owner used to get her customers/clients to ring salons all over Leeds making false appointments to tie the salons up and generally waste their time and cost them money.

It made us all paranoid about making sure we took phone numbers at time of booking and ringing to confirm the appointments the day before. We did tell the clients we were going to do this and none of them minded (if they were genuine). The ones who were not, got found out before it was too late. Eventually it stopped.

What kind of people are these?? Just plain nasty.

geeg said:

There once was a salon in Leeds .. and the owner used to get her customers/clients to ring salons all over Leeds making false appointments to tie the salons up and generally waste their time and cost them money.

It made us all paranoid about making sure we took phone numbers at time of booking and ringing to confirm the appointments the day before. We did tell the clients we were going to do this and none of them minded (if they were genuine). The ones who were not, got found out before it was too late. Eventually it stopped.

Thats just sick minded doing that!
I always make sure I take a number now pref home and mobile and full name.
It pees me off that you work real hard to get a good repuataion so people want to come to you only for jealous competitors to try and spoil things.
They should stop wasting their time making snidey phonecalls and use it wisely to practice more or get more training so people would want to come to them as well.Grrrrrrrr!

I even ask for their address too now when they phone to make a booking and if they are not genuine they try to stall me and that is when I get suspicious. I think most of us have been there re the ''no show'' client and it is really annoying not to mention time wasting. I have actually had a client who was sent to snoop on me, she did turn up but it was the fact that she was continually asking me questions about the things that I have in my salon that I became suspicious and asked her outright why she was so interested in it all. She blushed and then I asked her if she was there purely to see what I did and had and she admitted she was. Her nail tech had actually given her the cash to come and have her nails done with me so the nail tech could judge just whether, in her opinion I was ''threat'' to her (her wrods not mine). It back fired though, as the client said I was much better with PREP, sanitation etc than her other tech and so she started to come to me as a regular client after that.:green:

geeg said:

What a complete waste of time!! Obviously these people were so sure that thier work was of an inferior quality.

I know I have had quite a few nail technicians checking out the competition. Gut instinct is usually correct. Also, they are usually very inquisitive about how busy you are or aren't and kind of contradict themselves by pretending not to know too much about the industry but then use terminology only a nail technician would.

What goes around, comes around and, if they are so sad that they want to fill your books with bogus appointments, they don't deserve to survive in this industry.

Chin up Wendy - you know you have standards, professionalism and common courtesy. Don't let them get to you!

Urban Geek said:
I know I have had quite a few nail technicians checking out the competition. Gut instinct is usually correct. Also, they are usually very inquisitive about how busy you are or aren't and kind of contradict themselves by pretending not to know too much about the industry but then use terminology only a nail technician would.

What goes around, comes around and, if they are so sad that they want to fill your books with bogus appointments, they don't deserve to survive in this industry.

Chin up Wendy - you know you have standards, professionalism and common courtesy. Don't let them get to you!

Thanks Chris, i just get annoyed as i would never do that to another tech. I did phone a few when i first started out to compare prices, but i would never book and not turn up. I just wish other techs would show the same sort of curtacy. We are supposed to be able to work together aren't we?

If u can't do a client for whatever reason, then i will always give them someone else's name who can.

I too am happy to recommend other reputable techs if I can't fit a client in or if I don't offer a particular service. Sadly, not all technicians are the same.

Latest posts

Back