Feel like giving up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Hiya, sorry but im gonna have a moan!
I really feel like im wasting my time lately. Keep getting clients booking up and then cancelling with some feeble excuse! I wish they would just tell me if they arent happy or have a problem rather than make excuses and say they will call to rebook and then never call..:cry:

My guinea pigs nails stay on a good two weeks or more with no lifting etc and she has them regularly rebalanced so I know that hers are ok. She does get the odd break if she catches one but thats all. I dont know wether to ask straight out if they are having problems or just leave it and know they wont call again?? what would you all do?

Feel like its too much time and money invested now to just say 'nuts to it' but at the moment I want to just give up and sell all my stuff and just do the day job....

Hi Sherrie, i know exactly how you feel a few months ago it started to pick up and then they say yeah ill give you a call and never do! its really destroying as you dont know if its you or them, ive got 3 real regular clients one of them does have problems with breakage but the other 2 rarely get a break and one of them is going 3 weeks and their lasting. It is really frustrating and although i cant give you the answers i do know how you feel and hopefully someone on here can guide us both x x

Ah chin up babe, i think we all have days (weeks !!) like this!!!

I had thought about maybe sending a 'post treatment questionairre' out - along with a voucher for their next treatment for say £5 ish. or 1/2 price toes or ANYTHING that sounds good that you can afford to give away.

That way you are showing good faith that your interested in keeping up the old customer relations and keeping up high standards asking for feedback.

Make sure you tell them it can be anonymous.

Its only an idea - i havent done it yet but may try it out.

HTH

AMB X

just wanted to add..

dont make it too intense maybe......

as you know we are a relatively new and small business as such customer feedback is very important to us to keep up the high standards we are trying to maintain..... ask things like... were you happy with the service, had they lasted as long as you had hoped....did you encounter any problems/ things you werent happy with....blah blah.

Please find enc a voucher for £5 to show our apprecation for your time&trouble completing this questionaire.

I havent tried and tested it like i say but may be worth a go.

Also get as many 'HONEST' mates and family in @ a discounted rate for your own piece of mind to see if they have any probs.

I'm sure it'll get better hun!!!

AMb x

Awww hun, i think everyone on this site at one time or another has felt like giving up, I know I have.

I know how you feel, it seems as if its allways an uphill struggle and that you'll never ever get there. Clients do come and go, i have noticed that, some just want nails for that one special occasion and some will stay with you forever.

As for your clients, I would personally stress that if your clients do have any problems to give you a call straight away. There is no harm in asking if they are having problems with them either, I allways ask my clients if I see them up town or walking round morrisons how there nails are doing, I think they appreciate this its nice for them to know I care.

When I first started to get new clients I gave them a courtesy phone call a few days after they'd had there nails done to see if everything was A ok and that they were happy with there new enhancements. This also worked very well and it gave me a chance to ask if they had any lifting etc etc.

Don't give up hun, You have worked very hard for what you have achieved today, and as for tomorrow, it is a brand new day, start over fresh headed and say to yourself I can do this..

I dont know wether to ask straight out if they are having problems or just leave it and know they wont call again?? what would you all do?

Hi Sherrie, If would personally ask them if they were having problems. I then, as the technician, could rectify the problem. If you keep on letting them go then it surely will knock your confidence and you will never know the reasons why. Take the bull by the horns and ask your clients the question. i'm sure the majority of clients would prefer someone who actually cares about them and their nails and the work that you do. So if you get another cancellation, guide them back to you with your knowledge and education and great nails.
Love David.x

Hi Minkus,

What a FAB idea ! This in conjunction with a follow up call sounds really brilliant.

Aspirations,

You will always get a lot of "non-commital" clients as previously stated. This can seriously drag down your mood, but at the end of the day, it's not your fault, it's theirs !

I know you're feeling down at the moment, but try to keep your chin up. Perhaps do some flyers or something just to get your spirits up and eventually, you will have loads and loads of regular clients to keep you occupied:D

River

Aspirations said:
Hiya, sorry but im gonna have a moan!
I really feel like im wasting my time lately. Keep getting clients booking up and then cancelling with some feeble excuse! I wish they would just tell me if they arent happy or have a problem rather than make excuses and say they will call to rebook and then never call..:cry:

My guinea pigs nails stay on a good two weeks or more with no lifting etc and she has them regularly rebalanced so I know that hers are ok. She does get the odd break if she catches one but thats all. I dont know wether to ask straight out if they are having problems or just leave it and know they wont call again?? what would you all do?

Feel like its too much time and money invested now to just say 'nuts to it' but at the moment I want to just give up and sell all my stuff and just do the day job....

ahhhh no, don't give up...i think you should do what you said and just ask them. I had a lady cancel and she didn't give a reason, so i said "may i ask why you have cancelled your appointment, is it because of anything you are unhappy with" she just said no it a money thing. Well i cant do anything about that..nails do cost. I think if you leave the door open for them to have their say then they will.

Like you said you have clients who have no or very little problems so don't be hard on yourself. Day job, nehhhh naggin boss, deadlines, someone else calling the shots...no way, you are a nail technician who's just having a few doubts at the mo, the same as the rest of us. I would be more worried if you never felt like this.

Big hug to you xxxx angie

I think that everyone's right in saying that you've gotta keep ur chin up babes - we've all bin there & especially if your not salon based its always more difficult.
What I've just done is to print of some cutie vouchers to give to customers for a complimentary treatment / polish on their next visit.
I figure we all like to have a little bit of something 4 free !!!!
I got a few little sachet things from the local warehouse ( DEAD CHEAP !) and will give a few of those out to new clients as a welcome gift on their NEXT vist - that way they've gotta come back to get it !! Even if its a hand / arm massage (which only costs u ur time and a bit of lotion) its a personal touch that they like BUT have to return for their next appointment to get !
ALso I'm sure its not your work putting them off - maybe they do want a 1 off set OR they cant always afford to get their refils done (even though they'd like to ). I've been in that position myself where I've not really had the cash to spare and feel like I cant justify spending it on my nails when the kids could do with new tops 4 school or whatever !!
Anywayz dont get disheartened - keep plodding on and mayb try a few incentives to keep both you & your customers happy.
Keep your chin up whatever
LOL jayneym xxxx

thanks you lot..... Jaydee, its the lady you put me on to! lol. She e-mailed me a few days after I did them to say how happy she was and could she book her mother in law in for a removal of the existing set and a brand new set. Sent a few e-mails back and forth to establish date, time etc and she never came back and made a definate booking, that was a week ago! I e-mailed her this morning to ask if she had decided when she wanted her mother in laws appointment and got a reply saying she was going to leave it as her MIL was happy enough with her nails and sorry but she would have to cancel and would contact me when she wanted them done..... yeah, right!!

I did stress to her when I did hers that I would like to know if she had any problems so that I could do something about it, the thing is that the nails I soaked off her were horrendous!! really thick and the smiles were awful, yet she used to go back and get them rebalanced for as much as my full set price?? makes me wonder what could have possibly happened for theirs to be getting the repeat business and me not??

seems like I cant even do a manicure without negative feedback lately.... last one I did said the french polish went green after a couple of days!! didnt get to see though as they had already removed it and repolished! was told about that by her daughter in law who I work with.

Thought I might ask my guinea pig if she has any friends at work who want half price sets say for 6 months so that I can really get some practise in and regular feedback! they would probably drop me after the 6 months I know but at least im getting the practise that way, what do you think?

Sounds a good idea to me mate

Sherrie, I wouldnt worry bout the lady in question....I too saw her nails and yuk...I think you have gone beyond the call of duty regarding her MIL. I bet you she is one of those women who will wear them til the death and when they are about to drop of the free edge will give you a call and expect miracles. Keep on Sherrie, you will get there.

David.x

Jaydee said:
when they are about to drop of the free edge

pmsl!!!
xx

Hiya

Yeah i can say been there, done that and got the t shirt, and as everyone else has said chin up and dont worry

Amanda:hug:

Oh Sherrie - You're no quitter! Don't be disheartened and don't blame yourself either, although I can relate to how you are feeling - been there many times. Chin up, be positive and get those students round for practice - do charge something though to cover your costs at least. Cheer up honey x PS: Missed you at Excel!

Hey listen mate....it really is this time of year, honest!!! Just keep plugging along and like the others have suggested do some leaflets, offers and a few freebies. It will only be another month or so and everyone will be thinking about holidays and weddings etc and soon you will be saying to them "I'm sorry the only appointment I have left that day is......"

This is THE best business to be in with so many challenges and rewards. Keep it up. If you can afford to why not take some more classes, or try adding something new to your list. It is always beneficial and while it's slow is the best time to do it. Good luck!!!!

Behave!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You`re not giving up, I`m not gonna let you. You`re nails are fantastic, I saw them on Lucia Sunday.
I can`t say whats going on but I can say we`ve all been there and know exactly how you`re feeling but you have to go on.
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again.
I`m only round the corner and you have my number, we`ll get together and put our thinking caps on but you ain`t giving up!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Debs couldnt have put it better myself.
Don't you dare give up, the nails you did me for excel were eautiful and i get comments on your excellent airbrushing everywhere i have been. i have no liftin, no breaks and they are lovely and comfortable like a pair of old slippers as we know they should be and i wear them with pride and tellthem my geek friend sherrie did them for me, so don't be down hun maybe we should have a get together and discuss some marketing strategies and do it enmass if we all help eachother it wont be such a slog and we can rope the kids in lol
chin up honey you know where i am ring me and let off
love u loads

lucia
x

Lol.. thanks for the support guys! I dont think hubby would let me give up even if i wanted to now! I am booked on a rebalance course in a few weeks time so that should make me feel all inspired again. I have asked my guinea pig to go forth and find more guinea pigs! (maybe I should have rabbits? lmao)

Debs, I dont think i'd go as far as to say my nails are fantastic (bless ya) but Ive seen worse ~ just need thicker skin I think! xx

Latest posts

Back