Feeling confused about my career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone else thought of / had a total career change from beauty? Because this is what's happening to me right now and I'm feeling a bit down and confused.

I have been working as a mobile therapist and also massage therapist within a Physio clinic for four years now. After spending so much time with the physios, I decided that I would love to be a physiotherapist.

I looked into what courses I needed to do, I enrolled, and then I applied for 5 physiotherapy programmes. Baring in mind I have four years experience of working in a Physio clinic, and also open uni biology modules... I didn't get any offers for ANY. :( pretty gutted to be honest. I really had my heart set. Anyway, I have appealed one of my 'rejections' because their reason was that my course I'm studying "does not articulate" with the Physio degree. Which is unfair because prior to applying I specifically asked the uni which course I needed to study, and they told me the course that I chose is fine and relevant! It's been a couple of weeks now and I have been told that someone will get back to me with either an explanation or even an offer.

In the mean time, since I have no offers, I have applied for another course that still has places: adult nursing. This course definitely still interests alot me even though it wasn't my original choice, but what can I do :( I will be surprised if I get accepted, but if i do i would accept the offer straight away! The uni did tell me to give it a go since they haven't had as many applications this year.

Anyways, so whilst all this is happening, i have been thinking of alternative career plans...I noticed on Gumtree an opportunity to start up a salon within a health centre/ gym. I have now had a couple of meetings with the manager and he is keen to have me on board.

Basically I just feel so confused now. Opening a salon is risky financially, but I know it has potential to work. But if I'm honest it is my back up plan. If I have the choice I would love to go to uni while I can. I just feel quite crap to be honest, just waiting around for these unis to basically reject me. I don't know what's going to happen and I feel so confused.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I would love to hear your stories xx

From reading your thread I feel you are too confused at the moment to take on the responsibility of a salon. Your heart has to be in it as it won't be easy to begin with and it takes a lot of hard work !! Honestly, you need to be 100% committed!! I hope you find what you are looking for and remember if you want something desperate enough you must do what it takes to get there. Good Luck x

Please don't be disheartened about physiotherapy. My sister is a physiotherapist and it's massively difficult to get into. When she applied, her CV was littered with As and A*s, she is a proper academic straight A student, but only got an offer from one university. (She now has a PhD in paediatric respiratory physiotherapy and runs her own MSc course at UCL, brain box!).
Just keep trying, keep going .. you could also consider applying to be a 'physio assistant' in practice to get more experience *hug*.

From reading your thread I feel you are too confused at the moment to take on the responsibility of a salon. Your heart has to be in it as it won't be easy to begin with and it takes a lot of hard work !! Honestly, you need to be 100% committed!! I hope you find what you are looking for and remember if you want something desperate enough you must do what it takes to get there. Good Luck x

Thank you. That's what I kinda thought... Almost like is there any point if I'm not 100% because I could just end up resenting it. And a salon is a major commitment. And at the end of the day I'm looking for a long term career so if I'm having doubts now then it maybe isn't a good option. It's just a rubbish situation with uni because I don't think I could physically do anything else to give me a better chance :(

Please don't be disheartened about physiotherapy. My sister is a physiotherapist and it's massively difficult to get into. When she applied, her CV was littered with As and A*s, she is a proper academic straight A student, but only got an offer from one university. (She now has a PhD in paediatric respiratory physiotherapy and runs her own MSc course at UCL, brain box!).
Just keep trying, keep going .. you could also consider applying to be a 'physio assistant' in practice to get more experience *hug*.

Thanks, wow I know, it's so competitive...I went for an interview at northumbria and they told us there were over 1500 applicants, and 290 had an interview..for 42 spaces! :(

I would love to be a Physio assistant but there aren't any jobs available right now. But I guess i will just have to enrol in another open uni course and be involved in even more training with the physios at work.

I'm really kicking myself because 4 years ago I applied for Physio at uni and I received an offer, but my dad became unwell so I had to work and look after him instead of go to uni... And now it just seems so much harder :(

Thanks for commenting :) x

Latest posts

Back