Few Quick Questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJade

Reaction score
1) Have you ever used the NXT colour range? If so, whats your opinion on it?

2) Skin testing? Is there such thing as a 'disclaimer' if the client advises they are happy to not have a skin test?

3) Advice on a current problem with a customer not being happy with her service recieved. She had brown hair, with a very faint hint of red, advised client that she would not go straight from brown to white blonde, and client advised that was ok she knew the potential risks, and accepted.

I completed a full head bleach highlights, and after put a golden blonde on top to tone down the orange.

Customer was happy, I left, customer and family made comments that they liked it.

Customer emailed me saying the blonde was too dark for her, so I offered to rectify by putting another colour of her choice on. Whether this be light brown, etc. For free.

Next day, recieved abusive and threatening phone call from husband, threatening the small claims court because id ruined his wifes hair. I advised she was warned, and continued to go ahead with the service.

I offered to refund £40, so a partial refund. Husband happy. Accepted. Money put in his bank account.

Husband has continued with the threatening/abusive phone calls.

Have you ever experienced anything like this?

And, would he really have a case if he did decide to attempt to take me to court? As, afterall, hes accepted a refund??? I have been nothing but polite and reasonable when communicating, but hes been swearing shouting etc. Which has all been noted, and proof has been recorded incase anything did come about.

I have a facebook page that has 100% feedback, its just the minority that ruin it for all of us, who want something for nothing! I only paid him back to stop the abuse! Everyone that I have spoken to have said they wouldnt give it back. What id give for an easy life!

HEEELPPP! :):) Thankyou

Last edited:
Never used nxt and it's not rated that good from others on here, yes there is such a thing but most salons or people write their own up and they sign it client signs it to agree, as for what you did I'm a little confused to why if you were aiming to go blonde in the long term you bleached it out to when it was orange and then toned it with a gold?? It will enhance the colour making it quite brassy, what strength developer did you use? What condition was the clients hair in before you started and how many colours had she had on prior to this service?

I dont do hair so cant comment on that, but in reference to the husband accepting the money and you being worried about him taking you to court: did you give him the refund as cash or via a cheque?

Developer for the bleach I only used 6%, because I did a hair test, and the 6% lifted it enough, to then put the honey/golden blonde over. The honey/golden blonde was mixed as 9%, as followed by manafacturers instructions.

The clients hair was in perfect condition before and after the service, infact, I was surprised that the bleach didnt affect the condition at all!

So, in my experience, all of the above, it went as it should have. It was what I think, a case of she had her hair done, husband found out how much she had paid, and then decided he would try and get his money back. Thats my opinion anyway, as when I left she made comments about she couldnt believe it was that blonde, and her mother-in-law said "The colour looks gorgeous." ...

I wouldnt think someone would make comments like that if it was really 'awful' like her husband said

I insisted I put it into his bank, and went in myself to pay it in, as I wanted proof I had completed the refund. (I know what some people can be like!)

To be honest, I feel like now ive thought about it I shouldnt have given him a refund. Especially not seems as ive been getting threats now!

Well going off what you said clients hair must have been quite dark to begin with if it only went orange..,base 6 undertones are revealed then you put a 9 on with 9% which wouldn't of done much as their is still existing colour in the hair so it would only on toned it which is why it's appearing too dark for the client. And as for condition I'm shocked it's perfect if it was previously coloured, bleached and then colored again!! I'm not saying you were in the wrong giving a refund I'm trying to explain what's happened to the clients hair as best I can from what you have said you did to it.

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. The husband was not the client so there was no contractual relationship between you. Legally speaking, the client (his wife) could still request a refund even if they had a joint bank account unless she had already authorised you to pay him the refund on her behalf.

However, I understand how you might have felt threatened by him at the time and on subsequent occasions, therefore I would recommend a visit to the local police station and file a report about his threatening behaviour. After all, he may already be known to them.

2. Disclaimers
NEVER suggest that clients sign a disclaimer for not having a skin test or undergoing a service that you know is unlikely to be successful and might cause harm to the client. If your client is injured as a result, you will not be covered under English law. Any hairdressers/salons that use disclaimers are only fooling themselves. Much safer to refuse to provide the original service and try to persuade the client to agree to something else that you know is safer (e.g. return for a colour service in two days time).

Also, you could try explaining to your client that that you work to the highest industry standards and that you do not wish your professional integrity to be compromised or something along similar lines.

I've seen this sort of thing before, we had a lady come in have her hair coloured and wanted to pay by credit card but couldn't as our card machine was not working(which we had a sign saying) to that her husband kicked off saying they could refuse to pay as we had a sign saying we accepted cards and we weren't fulfilling our promise blah blah! I went on to tell him he couldn't Refuse to pay as we had also put a sign up saying that it was out of order and we were sorry, So they went and used their credit card at a card machine which costs them more money and the next day she was on saying her scalp was burnt so the stylist who done her hair examined the scalp to find not so much as a pink spot or flake of skin. Long story short people always try and get something for nothing, if you felt you did a good service and then still offered to correct it the client should of been happy with that, our salon never offered a refund but always would redo the clients hair until they were happy with it, I doubt my little story will help you in anyway but might make ya feel better! We will all come across horrible clients at some point more than once no doubt just don't take any cr*p :) But also did wonder why gold was put on an orange tinge :o/ xx

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. The husband was not the client so there was no contractual relationship between you. Legally speaking, the client (his wife) could still request a refund even if they had a joint bank account unless she had already authorised you to pay him the refund on her behalf.

However, I understand how you might have felt threatened by him at the time and on subsequent occasions, therefore I would recommend a visit to the local police station and file a report about his threatening behaviour. After all, he may already be known to them.

2. Disclaimers
NEVER suggest that clients sign a disclaimer for not having a skin test or undergoing a service that you know is unlikely to be successful and might cause harm to the client. If your client is injured as a result, you will not be covered under English law. Any hairdressers/salons that use disclaimers are only fooling themselves. Much safer to refuse to provide the original service and try to persuade the client to agree to something else that you know is safer (e.g. return for a colour service in two days time).

Also, you could try explaining to your client that that you work to the highest industry standards and that you do not wish your professional integrity to be compromised or something along similar lines.

totally agree with the disclaimer statement above. ive always been told they stand for nothing. so id never personally do one just incase a situation like this occured. its so fustrating tho!
also id definatly agree with going to the police and making them aware. do a statement. then its down on paper and if anything further happens to you, or your salon, and you have to go to the police it wont be totally out the blue. for example IF this guy is a bit loopy and chucks a brick thru your window or something similar you will no full well its him, and if you go to the police at least you will have something to back your self up. not saying thats what will happen oviously but its just a precaution that personally i would take.
good luck xx

Hey Hunny,

From what youve said youve done all you could (and a lot more than i would have done :() to make things right here. The thing to now do is to not have any further communication with these people (especially the hubbie who sounds like a nasty piece of work). If he rings again (and you recognise his number) dont answer / block his number. If he witholds his number to try and "catch you out" simply end the call when he begins speaking. Forget about this client and move on, not worth the hassle.

Chris x

Hey Hunny,

From what youve said youve done all you could (and a lot more than i would have done :() to make things right here. The thing to now do is to not have any further communication with these people (especially the hubbie who sounds like a nasty piece of work). If he rings again (and you recognise his number) dont answer / block his number. If he witholds his number to try and "catch you out" simply end the call when he begins speaking. Forget about this client and move on, not worth the hassle.

Chris x

Totally agree not worth the stress xx

Thank you all for the advice, and kind words.

Your help is muchly appreciated! :) xx

Latest posts

Back