Filing Phobia!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had the most chellenging client ever tonight and I really feel S**T!!

It took me 3 hours and 45 minutes to do her set of enhancements. Why you ask????? She can't stand having her natural nails filed and her tips filed!!! OMG, I spent most of the evening cutting her natural nail into a round shape (the little bit that there was) so that I could minimise my filing. Then I happily applied the tips and OMG again, I now had to try and cut the tips into a round shape (very difficult) and every time I put a little pressure onto her nails she would jump. It took me just over 2 hours to do this, believe it or not!! I felt so bad but I was trying to cut corners (literally) wherever I could. Do know what she says to me at the end of this scenario, "this is why I don't normally have my nails done, thought there was a valid reason!" Thanks lady!!!! :rolleyes:

Needless to say she was so happy with them when she left, I was horrified, I knew I could have done better but if I had tried any harder I'd still be busy.

Peeps what a week, loads of cancellations and a filing freak to end it off. Oh well, have a new client tomorow lets see shall we ...

I must say, my head is pounding from all my concentration but I can't for the life of me put my laptop down. Go figure ...

Just thought I'd share this with you and ask if any of you have had this problem and how did you handle it??? We learn the hard way fellow geeks, don't we???

Love you all :hug:
xxxxxxxxxxx

OMG poor you - what a week you have been having huh. This client sure does sound ultra-sensitive but what else could you do. You shouldn't feel down on yourself though - the bottom line is that she was very pleased with the result, and that's what matters most of all - you should congratulate yourself for that Rose.

I have to say, I do have an almost, but not quite so extreme client - my mother, who is very sensitive to the filing. Fortunately she took a shine to Fabric# enhancements which requires very mininal finishing. As she has long, natural nails, I don't have to go through the nightmare of tip blending and finishing as you would perhaps with say gel or L&P but in the early days when I did use her for practice with L&P for example, I always had to use thicker, padded files which she felt a little less sensitive to. I'm glad she was my mother because it used to drive me bonkers with all that fidgeting and flinching - she can't cope with hand and arm massage either during manicures and starts recoiling and getting edgy - I found that firm slap did the trick usually but I guess that's out of the question on your usual paying customer huh :) :rolleyes: !!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your new client tomorrow - hopefully she will be plain sailing!

Lol!! Thanks Hollyballoo, that made me laugh!!!! Trust me, the firm slap ... not a bad idea!!!! That was running through my mind at a stage.

I'm okay, just getting up real early tomorrow to get more practising in before my next one.

I know why I love this job so much, it's full of challenges, pretty stuff and peeps like you :)

Thanks for the luck
xxxx

Oh my god, I don`t want to worry you but how is she going to be when she needs a rebalance, I do hope its just her natural nail she doesn`t like filed.
I have had a couple of clients that cringe when I attack them with a file, lol.
One of them being my Daughter!!!!!!!! She tries to pull away cos she hates the feeling of it, I have to slap her about a bit and I squeeze her fingers so hard she can`t move otherwise I`d never get them done but by the time I`ve finished we both feel like we`ve done 10 rounds in a boxing match. Its a good job i love her and what I do!

i had one lady once who booked in for an appointment and then proceeded to ask me if i could do her nails without touching her!! Eh...? she wanted me to extend and overlay her nails without holding her fingers etc etc! Needless to say she didn't become a client.

I have a lady who doesnt like filing her natural nail either, i told her i dont like having things stuck in my mouth but i still go to the dentist !! she was able to grin and bear it. She came to me knowing she didnt like it..I didnt pull her in off the street. She's not so bad with re-balances though. The more she has it done the more she will get used to it. Dont worry ...xxx

Tickled Pink! said:
i had one lady once who booked in for an appointment and then proceeded to ask me if i could do her nails without touching her!! Eh...? she wanted me to extend and overlay her nails without holding her fingers etc etc! Needless to say she didn't become a client.

PMSL!!!! You don't say!!! :) :)

NailStyle said:
I have a lady who doesnt like filing her natural nail either, i told her i dont like having things stuck in my mouth but i still go to the dentist !! she was able to grin and bear it. She came to me knowing she didnt like it..I didnt pull her in off the street. She's not so bad with re-balances though. The more she has it done the more she will get used to it. Dont worry ...xxx

Hi Angie,

Dentist ... good point that lol!!! She didn't like it when I filed the front part of the free edge, the sides were bearable. I dread to think how her rebalance is going to be. I ended up filing ever so softly and used the koala buffer to file her free edge eventually, but I do know her buttons very well now :) Laughing about it today though, wasn't last night :)

xxx

Actually I've had a few clients that cant stand filing !! HOW MAD IS THAT?

I do know how you feel - its quite a shock when you find out cos - ok - what do you do ??!! NO FILING !! AAAHHH what are you supposed to do instead??
You were very patient indeed to do what you did - I didnt !!! HHEEE - I tourtured them !!!
As they say no gain without pain !! ( I dont literally mean PAIN )!
My Mum is one of my worst clients and sorry - she just has to shut up and put up Im afraid !!
Arent I awful ?!
When I first started training & practicing on my hubby ( yep full extensions - the works luv im ! ) he hated it too . He still does !!!
I dont suppose this has helped in any constructive way at all has it ?!
You definately get the thumbs up from me for being sssoo patient! I must b giving my mum her payback time for all those childhood traumas she used to give me !! If I had a cut - out came the TCP - scrub scrub , aaahhh - I still have nightmares !!!!!
Dont know what to sugest if she comes back for a rebalance! OMG - maybe she'll conquer her fear with your help -(I'd charge extra for that service ! ) OR tell her about me , then she'll thank her lucky stars your her tech not me !!!!
Good luck babes - let us know how it goes !!
lol jayneym xxx

Thanks Janeym, that made me laugh!!!! I am not the most patient person so I am rather surprised I lasted that long. :)

I will tell her what you said, about having you as a nail tech!!! I'm sure she'll cringe!! lol!

Hollyballoo said:
I found that firm slap did the trick usually but I guess that's out of the question on your usual paying customer huh :) :rolleyes: !!!

Oh my word you are sooo mean to your mummy i am gonna give her a call and tell her to take that Gucci handbag she has bought you straight back to Harvey Nick's!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Rose i do sympathize with a bit of luck she wont ring up for a re balance :confused:

Little Angel said:
Rose i do sympathies with a bit of luck she wont ring up for a re balance :confused:

Yip!! My thoughts exactly!!!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back